XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR 5.0 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Make a pulley change, increase boost which is an increase in cylinder charge and not change the fuel mixture your asking for trouble.
Not to say there may be an issue with the ECM but those are few and far between, surely not an oil pump issue.
Making changes to a SC motor and where is the qualified tuner a lap top and a dyno run, A/F ratio and EGT?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jagal
good guess ? or insider info? lol
yes Scottish born and bred
Totally insider.... we have been watching you in the states for a LONG TIME.... muuuwahahahahahaahhahahaha Bo)

Old 06-05-2014, 01:33 AM
Received 339 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Moscow Leaper's comments about potential fuel pump failure, causing the latest engine failure, is also valid but, again, there are a number of fuel rail and pressure parameters logged by the engine management system that, I would expect, would pick up and alarm on weak fuel delivery that would cause a "lean" running condition.
Well, the ECM can detect a low pressure if one (or both) high pressure fuel pumps are failing, but it can't detect a wrong readings of the failing fuel pressure sensor.
Also, if the HP pumps are going bad, the ECM have only a few things to do. Since this engines have a direct injection, if HP pumps fails, while engine revs are high enough, it can retard a timing (within a reasonable range, which may not be sufficent) and prolong an injection time (which is very limited, while the revs are high enough) and decrease a throttle. It all takes a long enough time (for an engine, not for a human) and under these condition and a high load the engine may fail. ECM can't just switch an engine off, it is a safety regulation.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fastlane'scat
Make a pulley change, increase boost which is an increase in cylinder charge and not change the fuel mixture your asking for trouble.
Not to say there may be an issue with the ECM but those are few and far between, surely not an oil pump issue.
Making changes to a SC motor and where is the qualified tuner a lap top and a dyno run, A/F ratio and EGT?
Jaguar software is very adaptive. Even with a boost as high as 20-25psi (KB twinscrew+meth can do that) it is still able to supply enough fuel (if the fuel pumps are in an operating condition). HP pumps of AJ133 can feed engines twice as big as 5.0l, injectors flows very well, so it is a pretty safe to raise a boost w/o reflashing a ECU. The only thing you need to do after a pulley swap - is to reset and relearn a ECM.
A/F ratio on a AJ engines always had been on pretty rich side, and AJ133 is not an exclusion, even with a smaller pulley.
EGT is not an issue too, if ECM detects a high EGT it reduces a power.

But, as for me, it's pretty clear that there's no need in smaller pulley on a AJ133, since it's 510hp is just a software limiter. If you need more power you may just flash a software from XKR-S with 550hp limiter.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:45 AM

ML - Yes, I know all about that. I blew an engine in my RX-7 on the very first day of my ownership when I accelerated to the redline. It was a weak fuel pump that worked fine under normal driving conditions but, was unable to provide enough fuel under full, high RPM acceleration! But, that car is a '93 model and it lacks all the sophisticated electronics that today's cars have. I would expect modern cars to immediately recognize inadequate fuel pressures/delivery and cut power to the engine.
The fuel system and the whole engine mgmt of an AJ133 is a very sophisticated thing.
There's two HP pumps, two HP fuel rails, while only one fuel pressure sensor. There's also a pipe, which connects two fuel rails together, but, for example, if it is somehow bent - you can blew an engine in no time if one HP pump fails. The ECM will see normal pressure (but only for one bank), while there'll be low pressure on another bank. Also, the volume control solenoid on a HP pump may fail or stuck, e.t.c, e.t.c.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
Well, the ECM can detect a low pressure if one (or both) high pressure fuel pumps are failing, but it can't detect a wrong readings of the failing fuel pressure sensor.
Also, if the HP pumps are going bad, the ECM have only a few things to do. Since this engines have a direct injection, if HP pumps fails, while engine revs are high enough, it can retard a timing (within a reasonable range, which may not be sufficent) and prolong an injection time (which is very limited, while the revs are high enough) and decrease a throttle. It all takes a long enough time (for an engine, not for a human) and under these condition and a high load the engine may fail. ECM can't just switch an engine off, it is a safety regulation.
You are correct, if the sensor is bad, the ECM could not detect a fuel pressure fail scenario.

However, I am not seeing why the engine could not be switched to limp mode if falling pressures or other fuel-related issues were detected. Something like this happened on two of my cars. In case of Car 1, I accidentally filled the tank with reg, lower octane fuel. The car ran fine until I tried a full power pass at 4000' elevation, uphill with 4 person in it. Then the engine was cutting in and out, obviously reacting to the low octane. On level grounds, and with a refill of the required octane gasoline, no issues.

Similar thing happened with my XKR when I tried a full power acceleration steep uphill with 2 person in the car. Same engine power cut, in-out, (felt like a typical racing rev-limiter activated) that can not be duplicated on level grounds. In this case, I was using the required 91 octane (California) premium gasoline. So, it seems, there are some engine protective management features at work but, the question is what conditions activate them?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You're starting to ask what did the software guys do in 1MB or more of code. I expect it's a trade secret.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM

However, I am not seeing why the engine could not be switched to limp mode if falling pressures or other fuel-related issues were detected.
IF they are detected. I.e. FP sensor keeps telling a ECM that the fuel pressure is withing a target range, while a fuel pump is failing. The only way for ECM to recognise a lean condition is a knock sensor signal and O2S signal, but they may react slowly. At first ECM will try to retard an ignition, then it will try to enrich a mixture. In order to enrich a mixture it will try to open injectors for a longer time, but IF the HP pump gives less pressure, than pressure at cylinder TDC there'll be no additional fuel in cylinder. Bang, the engine is shot.
There's no way to make a fail safe tune for all scenarios

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Jagal,

Have you checked the service history on the car prior to you buying it in case there had been an existing problem or repair? A dealer could likely pull up history from day one with the VIN. It sounds like you bought it with 22k on it, put on a pulley, and had this problem right away as it's still at 22k?

yes I have full history and called main dealer and previous owner , all was in order ,
I plan to strip the engine later in the month and see what the damage is , also had some quotes from various piston manufacturers , not that bad actually
I may use this as an excuse o upgrade further where I can

ill post pics up of what I find for you guys amusement
cheers

Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM

engine now stripped and it appears only one piston and bore is affected possible faulty injector?
Name:  IMAG3812-1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  37.1 KB
Name:  IMAG3810.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  32.1 KB

The following users liked this post:
gts055 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM

now looking for a single piston if anyone can advise , unavailable from jaguar!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I have had luck through ebay, you would need to find a seller in your area that sells engine rebuild kits.

I would suggest internal engine parts group, but they are here in the US and I'm not sure if they will ship internationally.
You could always give them a call to find out. I might be able to help you ship that via the us postal service, they are much cheaper than fedex or ups for shipping in europe.
This is the number for their tampa, FL location: (813) 630 4646

Do you have a picture of the side on that piston?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 609 Posts

Would this be another reason for the makeshift gauges to check on A/F ratio etc.?

Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

PS
I would highly recommend removing a neighboring piston to have exact measurements of the piston, so you can call a manufacturer such as wiesco or mahle (mahle has sellers in europe)
With the measurements they might be able to cross reference the piston with a similar unit.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM

engine stripped and a lot more damage sustained than originally thought

Name:  IMAG3976.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  IMAG3977.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  33.2 KB
opposite side piston also damaged , why?
Name:  IMAG3978.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  34.9 KB

The following users liked this post:
gts055 (07-10-2020)
Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Opposite side of same piston, or piston from opposite side of engine?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Opposite side of same piston, or piston from opposite side of engine?
opposite bank

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

In that case, weird. It does seem that engine's either got some intrinsic flaws, or has been abused. The way that the top ring of the fractured piston is bent down, just above the missing chunk, might suggest that something got ingested into the cylinder and was trapped between the piston ring & the head, shoving the ring downwards and chipping a chunk of piston off. But that's just a guess - and if it was something like that, where's the foreign body gone?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

What did the mechanic's say was the problem. It looks like the ring may have broken and taken out the piston. Could it have been a denotation problem ? Was this limited to just one cylinder or is there more damage. Is the cylinder salvageable or would they replace the block. Any info on how this happened would be worthwhile.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
What did the mechanic's say was the problem. It looks like the ring may have broken and taken out the piston. Could it have been a denotation problem ? Was this limited to just one cylinder or is there more damage. Is the cylinder salvageable or would they replace the block. Any info on how this happened would be worthwhile.
the mechanic ie me , I was driving it at the time ,cruising at aprox 80mph , flicked down shift and heard it pinking then it misfired on that cylinder and puffed smoke out exhaust . coasted to around 30 and drove home , stripped and foud this ,
I recon the injector wasn't correct or maybe a fuel pressure issue but that would affect all cylinders, doesn't explain the broken ring land on the opposite bank piston

all very strange , anyway , sample piston sent to various manufactures to see if I can get them made as they are unavailable from factory

Quick Reply: XKR 5.0 engine failure