XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR 75 on the autobahn and Nürburgring

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
What are the stats on this track with all the traffic and mixed bikes and cars on crashes, serious injury and deaths? Looks pretty nerve wracking to me to trust all the other drivers.
Stats are a bit thin on the ground (the 'Ring doesn't like to advertise the risks), but consensus seems to be half-a-dozen deaths per year, particularly bikers, and hundreds of other accidents. We saw, either on track or while waiting in the carpark, about 10 incidents in our time at the track (10:00-15:00), one of which involved injury because there was an ambulance. None of the others we saw looked serious, though some of the cars had to be brought back on low-loaders due to suspension damage. And, of course, some blow their engines or transmissions, so a car on the verge may have had a prang or may have lost all its smoke.

And you don't really trust the other drivers until they indicate right to show they've seen you and are getting out of the way. If you pass before then, particularly into a corner, they might take the racing line and hit you. So, caution pays. If you're a timing-obsessed 'Ring fiend, you might take the chance - I hang back until I'm sure.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by apost8n8
got your turn signal on, bro
Which means "Yes, Mr BMW, I've seen you, and will get out of your way as soon as I've got past this Clio through Klostertal". He'd been behind me all the way up Kesselchen but there was a lot of slower traffic to pass - that's the section of the track where horsepower really counts. Note that he then couldn't catch me up the next straight, and had to go around the outside of the next right-hander - I'm prepared to co-operate, but I'm not making it too easy…

Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Stats are a bit thin on the ground (the 'Ring doesn't like to advertise the risks), but consensus seems to be half-a-dozen deaths per year, particularly bikers, and hundreds of other accidents. We saw, either on track or while waiting in the carpark, about 10 incidents in our time at the track (10:00-15:00), one of which involved injury because there was an ambulance. None of the others we saw looked serious, though some of the cars had to be brought back on low-loaders due to suspension damage. And, of course, some blow their engines or transmissions, so a car on the verge may have had a prang or may have lost all its smoke.

And you don't really trust the other drivers until they indicate right to show they've seen you and are getting out of the way. If you pass before then, particularly into a corner, they might take the racing line and hit you. So, caution pays. If you're a timing-obsessed 'Ring fiend, you might take the chance - I hang back until I'm sure.
I would never take my car in there and I would go in there only in full cage and properly built race car gear. Not for me. I want to live tomorrow so I can enjoy my Jag.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I would never take my car in there and I would go in there only in full cage and properly built race car gear. Not for me. I want to live tomorrow so I can enjoy my Jag.
Fair enough; I have rather shorter horizons, and neither the money nor the time to get a track car that would perform as well as the 75. I've always wanted to drive the 'Ring, and my opportunities may be limited. And I'm pretty sure the 75's safety equipment would do the job in all but the worst circumstances.

But I appreciate that it's not for everyone. I was willing to take the risk.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Finally got to view the videos - enjoyed them very much. And, good driving.

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (09-30-2013)