XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Brake Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR Brake Repair

The wear indicators on my 2011 XK-R front brakes have recently started screaming like crazy. Sounds like a damn rape whistle when I roll up the street. I just paid $1600+ to have the rear brakes replaced at the dealer so I'm not anxious to have the fronts replaced. Especially since they are larger and probably more expensive. Car has 54,480 on it.

Does anyone know what the dealer price is on a set of front brakes on a 2011 XK-R? Mine has the "black pack" so the wheels are 20".

If anyone is in the Baltimore, MD area and knows a shop that does a good job for some savings over the dealer, I would appreciate a heads up.

Thanks,
Don

Old 08-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,360 Likes on 3,174 Posts

$1600?!?!? Wow, you got hosed. Badly. Maybe you should have posted in here BEFORE you paid that ridiculous amount. You could have New Rotors, Calipers, Flex Lines, fluid AND pads, all gold-plated, for that much.
Check Rock Auto and other places, pads are well under $100, and rotors are.... what, I can't remember..... $125 each? No need to replace the calipers, and fluid should be every 2-3 years anyway, and less than $50 to accomplish.

The following users liked this post:
DonKool (08-27-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

AFAIK, neither the front nor rear brakes have audible wear indicators. Sounds like you've now got metal on metal which will not only destroy the rotors in an instant but is unsafe to drive.

At least inspect the pads before any further driving.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Not saying it is impossible, but I agree with Mikey. The sensors themselves are quite small (1/4 inch?). Check your pads as soon as possible.

Cee Jay is also correct, for $1600, you could have had an Indy shop do all four corners, and maybe even pocket a hundred or two
(I've not priced 20" rotors and pads, but I recall someone here found rotors for something like $300ish per pair. Pads will be around the same or less.)

We all have various experiences to share, so don't be timid to ask before handing hard earned cash to a dealership.

BOL
Vince

Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I wonder if these rape jobs that dealers do depreciate our vehicles needlessly.
How many will still hold on to a car that cost $1600 just to do the brakes.

It is so counterproductive and shortsighted in the big scheme of things.
These dealers have the ethics of a drug dealer.
Mark my words, this will be the next big industry to be disrupted. Many industries/manufacturers have gone direct to consumer and cut out the bloodsuckers who were only destroying their image.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XKR Brakes

Not sure I'm doing this correctly but I think I attached a picture of the $1,600 receipt for the rear brakes. Dealer prices. I've been doing my own brakes (disk and drum) since the 1970s so perhaps I'll just order the parts and do it myself.

For those that say to have to rotors turned... You're not supposed to do that on the "R" cars. Just my personal experience... I've never done that strictly for the reason that I only own one car. I generally purchase a new rotor and pads ahead of time and install them. Not being a rich person with a second car I've never been able to pop off the rotors and take them to a shop to be turned. Ha, ha.... it would have had to be in walking distance.

Much better to just purchase new (around $35 or $40 back in the day). Then you can jack the car up and do the whole thing in an hour.

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not saying it is impossible, but I agree with Mikey. The sensors themselves are quite small (1/4 inch?). Check your pads as soon as possible.

Cee Jay is also correct, for $1600, you could have had an Indy shop do all four corners, and maybe even pocket a hundred or two
(I've not priced 20" rotors and pads, but I recall someone here found rotors for something like $300ish per pair. Pads will be around the same or less.)

We all have various experiences to share, so don't be timid to ask before handing hard earned cash to a dealership.

BOL
Vince

Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Don the only reason they dont turn rotors anymore is because its so cheap to buy them.
On my truck for instance, its $20 to turn (o'rielly's) or $40 new.
Many places can turn them on the car.

Another reason you dont see folks turning rotors is because rotor warp is not so common anymore with better designed brakes. Which was the primary reason for turning them. Also with modern pads you dont get glazing as much, so they rarely even need to be scuffed.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Mark my words, this will be the next big industry to be disrupted. Many industries/manufacturers have gone direct to consumer and cut out the bloodsuckers who were only destroying their image.
Tesla is certainly trying that approach. The "bloodsuckers" are fighting them tooth and nail and have gotten support from the legislators, aka parasites, in many states to keep Tesla out.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by DonKool
. You're not supposed to do that on the "R" cars. Just my personal experience
Don't know who told you that or why.

Rotor turning is not required in 99% of cases anyway as pointed out.

The following users liked this post:
davchr (08-27-2017)