XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewman

I hope this helps shed a little light on how I see the 2 cars and why I went this direction stew
Great analysis...thanks. I'd ask a few more questions, but don't want to get off topic. Enjoy the Vantage...it sounds like you picked up a manual vs. the Sportshift. From reading through the forums, it sounds like most people prefer the manual gearbox.

Originally Posted by Stewman
The Aston is a cross between the 911 and XKR....not as much work to drive the manual as the 911 and not as relaxing as in the XKR. stew
I've heard several people use the phrase "Vantage-like" when describing the new Porsche 991. I think I'll have to drive all three vehicles (and the Maserati GT) to really get a feel for the differences.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I have heard from a Mina owner that the Mina doesn't have the backfiring on overun. So does the Mina not sound as raw?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
I have heard from a Mina owner that the Mina doesn't have the backfiring on overun. So does the Mina not sound as raw?
At least on the XK the Mina does not sound "raw". It has deeper sound than the stock muffler and also flows much better at high RPMs, again on the XK. At wide open throttle the Mina sounds excellent, much like a race engine should. Altogether, it is somewhat louder than the stock but, not by a significant degree. I think it will work better on the forced induction XKR as opposed to the XK where the loss of low end torque with the free flowing Mina is quite pronounced.

Albert

Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 AM

When I say "raw" I don't particularly mean in a bad way as in unfinished with rattle-ish or tinny sound. I mean with gargles on overun etc.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

When I say "raw" I don't particularly mean in a bad way as in unfinished with rattle-ish or tinny sound. I mean with gargles on overun etc.
No gurgles, no backfires and no overruns on my XK. It sounds actually quite civilized. If you are after a more racy sound, either the Mina is not your exhaust or, you have to go further in removing/replacing the cat converters or the center section. Mo did the combo of the Mina with the 200 series Nameless cat converter and decided to put the stock cats back because the car was too noisy with bothersome vibrations. Ghostrider, on the other hand, seems to be able to live with and actually like the sound. Read their posts in the link below:

This is page 2 of 3 of this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-50617/page2/

Albert

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM

I'm thinking that loud might border on out of character for the car. Even Aston's sound a bit out of character for the average person. They equate super loudness with race cars or Lambo's, Ferrari, Camaro's, Vettes etc.

I was originally thinking the Mina could be too quiet but I'm beginning to rethink how loud I want to be with the XKR. If I lower on wheels it will definitely look menacing and look the part of a very powerful and loud beast.
The question is would the Mina sell it short?

We need more sound clips!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that loud might border on out of character for the car. Even Aston's sound a bit out of character for the average person. They equate super loudness with race cars or Lambo's, Ferrari, Camaro's, Vettes etc.

I was originally thinking the Mina could be too quiet but I'm beginning to rethink how loud I want to be with the XKR. If I lower on wheels it will definitely look menacing and look the part of a very powerful and loud beast.
The question is would the Mina sell it short?

We need more sound clips!
I agree with you, making the XK/R too loud would be out of character with this fine, "gentleman's sport car". I really don't think that it should sound like a modified American muscle car but, something more refined.

Just to give you an idea, when my friend first rode in my Mina equipped XK, he looked at me in real surprise when I started the car and pulled away. He told me that he thought that under city driving conditions it was "loud" compared to his new generation Corvette. I actually would prefer a more subtle, quieter sound in normal, around the town driving, while the open throttle sounds are fine with me.

I also disliked the sounds of the stock muffler. I just did not think it was the proper, "sophisticated" sound for a Jag. My '05, with the same drivetrain sounded better. It sounded like a deep purr of a big cat in town while more like an angry cat growl wide open. I had people complementing me on the sounds of my '05 but, not on the '08, stock or Mina.

Albert

Edit: I have the XK and never rode in an XKR. The XKR has an additional resonator in the mid section that, I feel, the XK should also have for better sound quality. I've been meaning to look into the possibility of purchasing that extra resonator for my XK. I'm sure that it will not be available at the dealer, likely they sell the whole mid section as one piece. I checked into getting an aftermarket resonator but, my muffler shop could not find any that would fit the space.

Last edited by axr6; 04-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM

axr6, did you say even with Mina folks don't compliment the sound? So you're not happy with the Mina?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

axr6, did you say even with Mina folks don't compliment the sound? So you're not happy with the Mina?
Yes, basically that is what I am saying. The Mina is an improvement over the stock XK sound but, it is still not what I would like to hear from a Jaguar GT. Again, please consider that you will have an extra resonator on the XKR vs. the XK. That may moderate the city-drive sounds to be just right. For now, I think that those low RPM sounds are still overly intruding into the cabin.

The Mina has better idling sound vs. the stock. I particularly don't care for the sounds between 1000-1500 RPM with the Mina as due to the loss of low RPM torque it sounds (drones) as if you'd be lugging the engine. I also have an undesired exhaust tone near 1900-2000 RPMs. Once you start revving the engine over 2K the Mina will improve the sounds considerably. Once again, the lugging will likely not apply to the forced induction XKR.

Albert

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

was searching around for my model found this

Jaguar XKR Exhaust - YouTube