XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Final Fifty Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
SO the price of the hood? A mind blowing 7770.29!
You have to be joking!!!! That is an insult to our senses! The materials are not cheap but, nowhere near justify the price. Here is the first google search result for carbon fibre fabric:

Carbon Fiber Fabric 6K 2x2 Twill Weave 11 oz 45 inches WD Sold by The Yard | eBay

So, about $40 per square/yard for an 11 oz (thick) fabric. You may use 3 to 4 layers of it, likely with some foam inserted between for additional stiffness. The price of Epoxy resin for a hood should come to less than $50 total. So, figure a retail material costs of $200, likely much less for the manufacturer. Labor is not that intensive, once a mold is made. Total production price should be around $350. And, yes, I had built a 7 lbs carbon hood for my Lamborghini in the past, including making the mold off the stock hood.

What a rip-off.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

That's exactly what I thought considering a stock hood is roughly 1500. I was thinking 2500 max, I almost fell over when I was told the price.

This is right in line with the 1300 rear GT sway bar...

Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I am not that shocked. The front splitter for the XKR-S is some $3,000 from Jag, the rear wing $9,000. But the hood is already made of aluminum so what would the weight saving really be? If you want just the louvres buy a stock Xk hood have a fabricator at it and paint it, should be all under $2K.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

That's why I'm beyond shocked its so expensive, its a stock XK hood with louvers. I don't believe there are any cross braces in that area either. If it were CF OK I can see it, but its louvered aluminum. Hot rod guys have been doing this for decades.

I was looking at it from a cooling perspective not the weight. These cars get pretty hot under the hood when run hard and there is not a lot of ventilation for the heat to escape.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

That's why I'm beyond shocked its so expensive, its a stock XK hood with louvers. I don't believe there are any cross braces in that area either. If it were CF OK I can see it, but its louvered aluminum. Hot rod guys have been doing this for decades.

I was looking at it from a cooling perspective not the weight. These cars get pretty hot under the hood when run hard and there is not a lot of ventilation for the heat to escape.
Believe it, or not, installing louvers may actually improve not only cooling but, acceleration and top speed by releasing the high pressure trapped air from the engine compartment. I documented each and every change on my RX7 that I raced. Installing engine compartment vents gave me a 1.5 sec reduction in my 60-160MPH acceleration. That was significant.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

That's also what I was thinking. If you look at all the air being forced into the XKR engine compartment versus the about of area it has to escape there has to be a fair amount of positive pressure at higher speeds.

I was thinking of using some of this high pressure for brake cooling by finding a "soft spot" around the inner fender area and running ducts to the center of the rotor. The air isn't "cool" but its just about the perfect temp to keep brakes warm and keep them from over heating.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

That's also what I was thinking. If you look at all the air being forced into the XKR engine compartment versus the about of area it has to escape there has to be a fair amount of positive pressure at higher speeds.

I was thinking of using some of this high pressure for brake cooling by finding a "soft spot" around the inner fender area and running ducts to the center of the rotor. The air isn't "cool" but its just about the perfect temp to keep brakes warm and keep them from over heating.
You are correct in your thinking. Any place to release all that pressure will help and what better way than use if for brake cooling. Just make sure you provide a large enough area of pressure relief. On my above mentioned RX-7 I did cut open the inner fender just in front of the wheels where it had plastic inserts.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

If a shop around here can do it right its the way to go...
Well, if it's a second-hand hood, you're not risking too much. And they should be able to show you examples of their work.

That GT hood price is a complete ****-take.

MaximA (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

LOL I agree with you on the price 100%

My shop is looking for someone local who can do the work properly. If not local I'm sure I can find a shop in the southeast that can do it.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

It took two Google searches to find a guy that has pages of pictures and charges 1.50 per louver.

Ngarara (04-22-2014)
Old 04-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Final Fifty Convertible, should I???

Hi All;
New to the forum....currently have a 2013 Audi RS5 coupe, purchased new and I have really enjoyed it. Though finding myself wanting a soft top, so am about to pull the trigger on something new. I had myself on the top of a list for a final fifty convertible, which will now be here in a few days, mine for the taking if I still want it. Alternatively, I have fallen in love with the idea of a 2016 F-Type R. So, I am sure there are many opinions, but what are your thoughts if you had the choice of one of the two? Reasons? Thank you for your thoughts...it is a nice problem to have, but I am struggling with the decision!

Old 04-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Depends if you want a sports car or a GT. The XKR is bigger & somewhat more practical, but not quite as quick or nimble. However, the Final Fifty edition has the Dynamic Pack, so it has suspension that is 30% stiffer and 10mm lower than an XKR and revised front uprights that increase camber stiffness - overall, it's a better-handling car than a standard XKR, and closer to the F-Type.

For me, it's a tricky choice, and it would probably depend on cost. I don't know how the Final Fifty model is priced, but its UK equivalent, the Dynamic R, was very good value for money - all the option packages included, but at the same price as a standard XKR. I did a build for the F-Type R and it came out considerably more expensive - it would be a better car, but not £30k better.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 PM

Well, made the decision and proceeded with a purchase. After seeing the final fifty convertible in person today, and driving it and the f type (though admitably not the R which is what I would have ordered if I did not get this), I bought -- drum roll......the final fifty. I did not drive it home as they still need to detail it, tint, clear bra, etc., etc. so will be picking it up Sunday afternoon.

Both cars were awesome. The considerations between the two were:
1) fun and coolness to drive --- both off the charts...I realize the R would be better ultimately in terms of speed and probably handling (especially AWD), but I am not a track guy so to me this was mostly a wash. For a touring car, 510hp is not bad. :-) At least between 0-100, I found the final fifty awesome...smooth, nice feel especially in sport and dynamic. Yes, F Type just as good if not better, but close enough where I would call it a wash for what I need.
2) Looks. I was pleasantly surprised at how the final fifty bowled me over. Yes, sort of looks like a cross between an XKRS and XKR and a GT, but it works. It looks stunning. Of course, the F Type is stunning also. With the F-Type I could have ordered the IRR and Camel seats which would have been a net win to the FType, but I do like the classic styling of the final fifty.
3) Modernity -- no question, the F Type wins here. Both the bones of the car, and certainly the electronics. The Final Fifty info screen is akin to Atari next to it. Yet, the more I thought about it, I really only use it to select music, and it is fine for that. For Nav, I use my iPhone anyway, especially with Waze, the best nav app ever created.
4) Sound ---- ahhhhhhh! The F Type is amazing here, no question. However, the final fifty is absolutely perfect. The sound is huge and beautiful in sport/dynamic -- not quite as brawny, but in some ways better.
5) Wife opinion -- at least in my world, let's face it, she buys in or I have no car! She liked the final fifty much more. Mostly due to the 'fake' second row seats which at least allow you to put a kid there is needed, and more importantly, through some suitcase there for a 3-4 day weekend. The F-Type would be more of a day car....no way we could fit enough in there for a 4 day weekend. This did not bother me much, that is what the Q7 is for, but it mattered for her.
6) Uniqueness -- tough one here. I realize the final fifty is not hugely unique in that the list of unique items is not huge. It is mostly an XKR with about 80% of XKR-S features, a GT like hood, and a couple of signatures. Still, hard to argue that it is not at least sort of a unique thing to have. It is not as if I see tons of F Types driving around either -- but as my dealer said, I could come in an order one whenever I want....whereas the entire state I live in gets 1 final fifty, and it is 1 of 25 convertibles. So, advantage final fifty.

In short, personally I could have gone either way. My wife strongly preferred the final fifty, my son slightly preferred the final fifty. I was truly neutral with perhaps an ever so slight longing for the F Type R. But, happy that my wife was approving either, was happy to go with the final fifty. I feel as if I bought a somewhat 'old' bones car technology wise, but one of the most beautiful and potentially classic of them all. It is comfortable to drive, has awesome sound, excellent performance for a touring convertible, some practicality, and is simply special. Oh, and the cost, I will just say well under a 10% premium over a 'standard' XKR. Of course F Type R's (2016) have decent pricing in the States also, so it probably would have been about a wash.

I will post pics sometime next week. I hope you like it as much as I do. Sorry for the long rant!

The following 5 users liked this post by busywine:
H20boy (04-20-2015), JagRag (07-28-2017), Ngarara (04-17-2015), ralphwg (04-17-2015), SleekJag12 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts

Hey Mate,
All great thoughts. I, for one, liked how you arrived at your final selection. You stated what many of us, I think, go through when making a big money purchase and want to get it right. Yes, we do want the "little lady" to prove of our whims. I was forever grateful, my wife now gone, loved her XJ-R. Not that I had anything to do with suggesting how much fun it would be getting from one real-estate deal to the next! HeHe ....
Can't wait for the final fifty pics.....

Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

It is a nice thing to have a special edition, even though mine looks just like any Speed Pack XKR. Good choice; anyone can have an F-Type.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Not a single picture posted in this thread...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Happy 51st Birthday

OK, OK..here's a pic, or two.
My Mustang is 51 today. How's that for longevity of old American iron!a
...and yes, even a tonneau graced her back.,,,,

Attached Thumbnails XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-new-muffs.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-marina-mustang.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-steering-pod-cluster.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-fuel-cell.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-tonneau.jpg  

Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider48:
Ngarara (04-17-2015), sharx8 (04-18-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Nice pony...

Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Great choice arrived at through sound reasoning. I was given an F type S V8 by Jaguar NA to play with over a four day weekend. then I drove a an F Type R extensively at Sonoma Raceway. Thos two experiences convinced me to keep my 12 XK as it is (for me anyway) a true GT while the F Type R is a true sports car and wouldn't work for road trips the way the XK does.

Enjoy your Final Fifty XKR its a real keeper.

busywine (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 11:33 PM

Picked up the car today....love it! Attached....sorry first time. hope you can see these.

Attached Thumbnails XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1178.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1175.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1170.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1169.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1167.jpg  

XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1162.jpg   XKR Final Fifty Special Edition-img_1159.jpg  
The following 8 users liked this post by busywine:
Cambo (04-19-2015), DGL (04-20-2015), H20boy (04-20-2015), K.Westra (04-20-2015), Ngarara (04-20-2015), ralphwg (04-20-2015), Schwabe (04-20-2015), SleekJag12 (04-22-2015) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: XKR Final Fifty Special Edition