XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR Harness Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XKR Harness Installation

Hello All,

I am about to attempt to install a Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness in my XKR. It's a harness that is specifically designed to function and be safe without a rollbar or harness bar, and it will exclusively be used for autocross, so at relatively low speeds. I have been reviewing the service manual for the procedure on how to remove the buckles on the front and rear seats, but the information is not very detailed. My main concern is whether there is anything related to airbags or the ECU that needs to be disabled before I remove the buckle. To clarify, this system bolts in on the same bolt that the female buckle attaches to on the front and rear seats, it simply installs next to the factory 3-point buckle as an attachment point. I think I can figure out the installation itself, but I want to make sure nothing is going to blow up in my face. If anyone has done something similar to this and has any guidance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,367 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by mushroom09
Hello All,

I am about to attempt to install a Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness in my XKR. It's a harness that is specifically designed to function and be safe without a rollbar or harness bar, and it will exclusively be used for autocross, so at relatively low speeds. I have been reviewing the service manual for the procedure on how to remove the buckles on the front and rear seats, but the information is not very detailed. My main concern is whether there is anything related to airbags or the ECU that needs to be disabled before I remove the buckle. To clarify, this system bolts in on the same bolt that the female buckle attaches to on the front and rear seats, it simply installs next to the factory 3-point buckle as an attachment point. I think I can figure out the installation itself, but I want to make sure nothing is going to blow up in my face. If anyone has done something similar to this and has any guidance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I used these https://www.schrothracing.com/products/quickfit no issues and easy to do. I did have to change the rear buckles to Ford Mustang ones due to the Jag rear receivers being an odd shape.

Great product becuase you retain the DOT legal factory belts and switch over to the harness for the track. Even my Hans fits. For a non-race seat they work quite well.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:38 AM

Hi Jahummer,

Thanks for the info! I already have the Rallye 4 so I'm hoping to make what I have work. My main concern is whether I can actually access the bolt for the driver's female buckle to attach the Schroth mounting piece alongside the buckle without needing to completely remove the front seat. I've looked in the service manual and I don't think the rear should be all that difficult, pretty much just removing the rear armrest, rear seat cushion and then working with the bolts for attachment. I assume you didn't need to access the female buckle assembly since the quickfit buckles straight in? Thanks for the help!

-mushroom09

Old 09-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, I see. Yes the rear will be easy, the front inner female receiver however might be difficult to get to without removing the seat as it is located at the bottom rear against the tunnel. I have taken the seats out a few times, not difficult but heavy.

Here is a pic.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Hi Jahummer,

This actually helps immensely, thank you! Looks like I'll just be yanking the seat and doing it the right way.

Thanks!

-mushroom09

Old 09-27-2019, 08:48 AM
Default Resolved!

Hello All,

I did the installation of the Schroth Rallye 4 ASM last night in my 2011 XKR175 and it went off without a hitch, although it was a big help having an extra pair of hands from a friend of mine. I followed the instructions from the service manual in the following order if anyone wants to do this themselves in the future:
  • Move driver's seat forward and undo rear seat bolts
  • Disconnect battery as per 414-01 Battery disconnect and connect (wait 2 minutes)
  • Undo front seats torx bolts and electrical connectors as per 501-10 Removal and installation>Front Seat
  • Remove front seat completely
  • Remove rear seat armrest as per 501-10
  • Remove rear seat cushion as per 501-10
  • Remove rear safety belt buckle as per 501-20A
  • Attach Schroth mounting point alongside rear buckle
  • Remove rear safety belt retractor anchor as per 501-20A
  • Attach Schroth mounting point alongside rear retractor anchor
  • Attach front Schroth anchor, not the one that goes on the buckle, to the mounting point near the seat rail by the door
  • Place front seat near door and attach the Schroth anchor to the driver's side buckle
  • Reinstall front seat, reconnect electrical connectors and front torx bolts
  • Reconnect battery
  • Move front seat forward and replace rear front seat bolts

I think that covers the process. Most of it was relatively easy and straightforward, the most annoying thing was making sure that no parts of the harness were twisted. When installing the anchor that goes on the driver's side belt buckle it is necessary, from what I experienced, to do the install with the seat out of the vehicle so that you have access to the buckle and then to place the seat back in the vehicle with the belt attached. This is where things can get twisted if you're not careful. Overall it was definitely worth it, I'm excited to try it out at an autocross this weekend. Thanks to all for the help, especially Jahummer!

-mushroom09

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

You should post some pics.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 XFR and am having the same problem - moving around too much during track days. Has anybody applied the Schroth system to an XF? Of course, Schroth says if it's not a listed car they won't guarantee it will work and don't recommend I try. I tried to get my Jag dealer to install an ALR enabled seat belt retractor for my driver seat belt because I think that would be sufficient for me - but no go. Very frustrating! Any ideas appreciated.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

The Schroth’s fantastic in the X150 coupe, not certain about distances for a 4-door saloon. These’re safety designed specifically for the application unlike traditional 5 or 6 point harness intended from roll cages, and suitable for casual track days and HPDE, not competition racing.

Other alternatives are harness bars if you’ve not had a look at those yet.

The following users liked this post:
gocatgo (08-19-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 01:05 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Just wanted to edit your instructions and add step 2. Its impossible to remove front seat torx bolts with seat forward

Originally Posted by mushroom09
  • Move driver's seat forward and undo rear seat bolts
  • Move driver's seat rearward
  • Disconnect battery as per 414-01 Battery disconnect and connect (wait 2 minutes)
  • Undo front seats torx bolts and electrical connectors as per 501-10 Removal and installation>Front Seat
  • Remove front seat completely
  • Remove rear seat armrest as per 501-10
  • Remove rear seat cushion as per 501-10
  • Remove rear safety belt buckle as per 501-20A
  • Attach Schroth mounting point alongside rear buckle
  • Remove rear safety belt retractor anchor as per 501-20A
  • Attach Schroth mounting point alongside rear retractor anchor
  • Attach front Schroth anchor, not the one that goes on the buckle, to the mounting point near the seat rail by the door
  • Place front seat near door and attach the Schroth anchor to the driver's side buckle
  • Reinstall front seat, reconnect electrical connectors and front torx bolts
  • Reconnect battery
  • Move front seat forward and replace rear front seat bolts
-mushroom09