XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Ngarara....excellent food for thought regarding the maintenance issue. I plan to troll the Lotus forums for more info on that...thanks. But the GT-R is more of a super car. Not in my range yet.

Matt in Houston.....any thoughts or suggestions on the maintenance distro./parts ? That Ngarara mentioned? You made me really think about the choice from a different line by highlighting the pros and cons. From a first hand perspective.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Ngarara....excellent food for thought regarding the maintenance issue. I plan to troll the Lotus forums for more info on that...thanks. But the GT-R is more of a super car. Not in my range yet.

Matt in Houston.....any thoughts or suggestions on the maintenance distro./parts ? That Ngarara mentioned? You made me really think about the choice from a different line by highlighting the pros and cons. From a first hand perspective.
I actually never took the car to the dealer but maybe one time when I first got it, choosing to do all maintenance with the help if a knowledgable friend. Since the motor is the same one in the Toyota Celica GT-S, parts are easy to come by and maintence is cheap and easy. Many of the Lotus parts can be found on Ebay or the forum after people make upgrades. There is fairly decent aftermarket support should you ever choose to go that route. The car is very basic and extremely reliable.

In fact I would say the car is pretty much bullet proof. If you add power you will need to upgrade the clutch immediately but the transmission should hold fine to ~325 rwhp. Chances are you will never step foot into a Lotus dealership while you own this car. The forum also has a ton of information should you need something.

I think everyone should own a Lotus at some point in their life. They are truly unique and special, purpose built machines. The steering will ruin you from any other car, forever. It's that good.

Just be aware with the pros comes a long list of cons, mainly all comfort and ergonomics. The car rattles and buzzes. Potholes will beat you up if they don't swallow you whole. The car itself feels about the size of a twin size bed, so people sometimes can't see you so you are always hyper-vigilant like if you are riding a motorcycle. The shifter is notchy and the seats don't adjust.

Chances are you can live with it for a while. But, for how long? The Lotus is definitely a one-sided compromise where the XKR is just a much better all-a rounder.

However, if you have most of your bases covered, the Lotus Elise/Exige is one of the best and most unique pinch hitters you will find, especially in the used car price range. Because you already own several other comfortable cars, I'd say go for the Lotus and enjoy the experience.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

PM Marko, who just jumped ship from the XKR to the Cayman. I think he's very happy with his "fun car" choice that still has some creature comforts. I admit it, it handles superbly.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I cross-shopped a Boxster with my XKR. The great thing about the Boxster for me was the sharp handling, excellent braking, and the fact that it had a manual transmission. However, it didn't have the star power, rarity and awesome sounds of my XKR.

But I didn't have another Jag at the time. If I did, I probably would've gotten the Boxster.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Interesting the journey people take. I had a 2006 Cayman S TPC stage II turbo charged with 520HP, a 2008 Boxster Spyder RS60 and 2008 911 turbo and now I am in two Jags.
My Cayman was a ***** to the walls fun driver machine. With GT3 brakes, fly wheel and clutch, GT3RS seats, HR coil overs and bars, some super light OZ wheels with bigger rubber and the entire interior including ceiling in Alcantara .... I ran the Dragon on three different trips with friends and it was a hoot ... the trip to and from however was terrible, just terrible ... I am also in my mid fourties and the P cars seat on longer trips were just terrible, no lower back support, thin. The engine noise so insane when playing with Cayman was just splitting your head after an entire weekend.
Here is a vid with the microfone in the trunk which is open just like in the XK coupe and much closer ... just for sound reasons and yeah I almost lost it in this vid as it was just 28 degrees when I went on a short trip ... just to check the new boost controller

the exhaust is custom made and comes with the turbo package but in reality it is a straight pipe ...

and here an earlier trip to the Dragon but you get an idea of the noise ... intoxicating at times and just a little too much at others ..

http://vimeo.com/5095319

Last edited by Schwabe; 02-18-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Don't take offence but I don't like the exhaust note. Sounds like an un-muffled 6 cylinder engine. My home track is LimeRock park in Ct. and during some open track days and vintage racing there are a lot of 6 cyl. cars running and listening to the this is similar to all of the Pcars during those events. Even some of the older Jags (E's) have a similar sound. It's just a matter of our different tastes. I've never had a Pcar but have been in a few and although they are fast and cool it's not my style.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Absolutely no offense taken. If I could package the sound of a Ferrari or an Aston Martin I would take that most every day in any car. The car sounds the way it sounds. The mic is in the trunk basically because the camera was mounted on top of the mid engine so it is right there. Certainly the mics on your run of the mill vid cams are very limited on what they can record. This was certainly loud and at the limit of the mic which also ads some higher pitched, screeching distortion. But this is what a new V6 Lotus will sound like, or at least very close to it minus the pop-off valve from the turbo of course ...

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I cross-shopped a Boxster with my XKR. The great thing about the Boxster for me was the sharp handling, excellent braking, and the fact that it had a manual transmission. However, it didn't have the star power, rarity and awesome sounds of my XKR.

But I didn't have another Jag at the time. If I did, I probably would've gotten the Boxster.
I was looking at the Cayman, but there was no room for Elys and our Corgi. Plus, I was just impressed with how well my Vanden Plas was built and when I talked to an XK owner (at dealership a Bentley dealership looking at Maserati GT), I was sold. I thought, "what am I doing, I should just buy an XK and be done with it." Here I am now.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
But the GT-R is more of a super car. Not in my range yet.
Well, here in the UK, the price of a 2010 XKR and 2010 GT-R were basically the same, which is why I was looking hard at both - the GT-Rs had been cheaper when new, but had depreciated less. Running costs were similar, too. No idea what the situation is on your side of the water.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think of the XKR as a "fun" car. Many other adjectives apply but "fun" would not be one of them. Its too powerful and slightly scary at the limits to be "fun".

Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've had fun in mine:

Nearly got it airborne there. But I agree, you have to be careful not to have too much fun, particularly on public roads.

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-sbf_0711.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (02-21-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara

Nearly got it airborne there.
Yes, it sure does look like your are about to get airborne, lol.

Schwabe (02-21-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL. Cool pic I think there is a little air under that left front....

Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Well, I've had fun in mine:

Nearly got it airborne there. But I agree, you have to be careful not to have too much fun, particularly on public roads.

Duuuuude, that thing needs to be slammed .... the wheel well gap looks terrible .... LOLZ

Ngarara (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just 'landing' at that point (see the gap between the rear wheels and the arches - suspension must be close to full droop). You have to come off the brakes before the jump, wait 'till you're firmly planted, then back on the brakes. Of course, if you're a bit lighter:

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-sbf_0398.jpg  
Schwabe (02-21-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

I know .... just having fun .... the XK is a little too porky to ever really let go ...

Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the strokes. As the Brits say...time to get crakin'. Ngarara, I appreciate the tangent you sent me on. Good to think about that. I think Matt in Houston addressed that. I feel ok with an extended warranty until I mod it, and as far as track insurance...Until, I can swing the race fees and all consumables I'm going to keep the Lotus off the track. If I do take it there, then I'll cage and be happy with whatever sub 400 bhp I can squeeze out of it.cLike MIH says....the handling more than makes up for any lack of straight out HP as far as thrill factor goes. I think the ultimate deciding factor for me is modification. Plus the size fits in better in my workshop. I can put it up on wheel jacks and tuck her into a corner with room to spare.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Cherry, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Lotus. For a fun car, HP isn't a big deal, it's power-to-weight and 'chuckability' that count. I can have plenty of fun in our 180 HP shopping trolley, because it has big tyres, firm suspension and a DSG 'box.

Oh, and Schwabe: here's the slammed version :

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-0470.jpg  
Schwabe (02-21-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

pictures taken in compressed turns are always preferred ...

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-d7-2.jpg  
Ngarara (02-19-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Lotus Elise + Jag XK

Matt - I saw your post on the Lotus forum, and tracked you down over here, where I found this thread. I have had my Elise since new, May of 2007. I love it, but I came from owning a '72 Lotus Europa for 21 years. To me, the Elise is relatively comfy and kind of quiet. That said, you won't be enjoying the in-car entertainment system at highway speeds; it's barely audible over the various noises generated by tires, chassis, wind and engine. As others have said, it's not easy to get in & out of: a wide sill and low-placed seats make it awkward, until you get used to it.

I bought an '07 Jag XK coupe back in 2012, because I wanted a more comfortable car for longer trips - a proper GT car. Both cars suit their purposes beautifully. Though I have not tracked the Elise, I do autocross occasionally, and I'd never consider either with the XK - just too ponderous for me.

I enjoy both cars, and love the luxury of being able to choose which one to take out for a drive.

Here's a picture of my garage at home.

--Bob Collum

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-img_0502.jpg  
Matt in Houston (02-21-2014)

Quick Reply: XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige