XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

LOVE the BRG. You have a very nice garage...

The Lotus was an extremely fun car, but my wife absolutely hated it...lol.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, Lotus makes a great product! However, I recently went to the dealership to have the brake fluid flushed/changed and had an opportunity to test drive a lotus (on the insistance of the service consultant) and I was impressed however after my prostate stopped shaking!!! I was glad to get back into my XK-RRR and have all the creature comforts whilst eating vettes,mustangs, 370Z, etc for breakfast!!!!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston

I think everyone should own a Lotus at some point in their life. They are truly unique and special, purpose built machines. The steering will ruin you from any other car, forever. It's that good....

...However, if you have most of your bases covered, the Lotus Elise/Exige is one of the best and most unique pinch hitters you will find, especially in the used car price range. Because you already own several other comfortable cars, I'd say go for the Lotus and enjoy the experience.

I hope I get that feeling when I begin test drives. You never know how a car fits until you get in it. The RR phantom comes to mind here..lol...(I valet parked in my younger days). Not that I could afford one anyway, but I've never even driven a Lotus so I am excited about it.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rcollum
Matt - I saw your post on the Lotus forum, and tracked you down over here, where I found this thread. I have had my Elise since new, May of 2007. I love it, but I came from owning a '72 Lotus Europa for 21 years. To me, the Elise is relatively comfy and kind of quiet. That said, you won't be enjoying the in-car entertainment system at highway speeds; it's barely audible over the various noises generated by tires, chassis, wind and engine. As others have said, it's not easy to get in & out of: a wide sill and low-placed seats make it awkward, until you get used to it.

I bought an '07 Jag XK coupe back in 2012, because I wanted a more comfortable car for longer trips - a proper GT car. Both cars suit their purposes beautifully. Though I have not tracked the Elise, I do autocross occasionally, and I'd never consider either with the XK - just too ponderous for me.

I enjoy both cars, and love the luxury of being able to choose which one to take out for a drive.

Here's a picture of my garage at home.

--Bob Collum
That is a nice garage.how do you keep it so clean?? Mine doubles as my wood shop and with all the projects I've done I get tired of cleaning it and actually putting cars in it...but at least I have a long enough driveway to keep them off the road..lol....wish I could say the same for my neighboorhood...can't wait till the kid gets out of playschool...then I can put my plans to work....16 months to go....lol....with my luck my wife is going to insist on private.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Why not consider the Evora S?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Interesting the journey people take. I had a 2006 Cayman S TPC stage II turbo charged with 520HP, a 2008 Boxster Spyder RS60 and 2008 911 turbo and now I am in two Jags.
My Cayman was a ***** to the walls fun driver machine. With GT3 brakes, fly wheel and clutch, GT3RS seats, HR coil overs and bars, some super light OZ wheels with bigger rubber and the entire interior including ceiling in Alcantara .... I ran the Dragon on three different trips with friends and it was a hoot ... the trip to and from however was terrible, just terrible ... I am also in my mid fourties and the P cars seat on longer trips were just terrible, no lower back support, thin. The engine noise so insane when playing with Cayman was just splitting your head after an entire weekend.
Here is a vid with the microfone in the trunk which is open just like in the XK coupe and much closer ... just for sound reasons and yeah I almost lost it in this vid as it was just 28 degrees when I went on a short trip ... just to check the new boost controller

the exhaust is custom made and comes with the turbo package but in reality it is a straight pipe ...

Cayman TPC turbo @ 520bhp - YouTube

and here an earlier trip to the Dragon but you get an idea of the noise ... intoxicating at times and just a little too much at others ..

Dragon Run - RnC4 - 2009 on Vimeo

Good recovery....

Old 02-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice...
1. get a TVR.
2. get life insurance
3. never ever take it out in the wet

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

TVRs are hard to come by in the States!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
TVRs are hard to come by in the States!
Probably just as well - they seem to spend a lot of time on low loaders. Sound great when they're running, though.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

TVR's are practically non-existent here in the States dude. I have seen one....a Tuscan, back in '05....nd that is the only one I have ever seen. But for me, the allure of the Lotus is that it doesn't have all the extra goods like ....carpet...lol...I don't even want a stereo...air conditioning would be nice to have, but other than that, I will be building the car up. ****...I plan on taking out whatever seats come with it in favor of a nice recarro.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
That is a nice garage.how do you keep it so clean?? Mine doubles as my wood shop and with all the projects I've done I get tired of cleaning it and actually putting cars in it...but at least I have a long enough driveway to keep them off the road..lol....wish I could say the same for my neighboorhood...can't wait till the kid gets out of playschool...then I can put my plans to work....16 months to go....lol....with my luck my wife is going to insist on private.
Thanks, but it's a cleverly taken photo. It's not really all that clean, but not jammed with stuff, because we have no children. I'm almost the only person I know that has space for cars in both bays of my garage. It's lucky that my wife has the Smart, since NOTHING else would fit sideways behind the Lotus. Here's a better pic of the garage I found on my home laptop -

Attached Thumbnails XKR or Lotus Elise/Exige-img_7802.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill weigh in. I have a 2005 S/C'd elise. There are very few cars that will offer a driving experience that an elise will. pleople that buy them, and hold them, do so because for them, it is the driving experience that is paramount. people that complain or note of the missing lux and equipment will likely never get it. And thats fine.

If creature comforts matter to you, do not buy the elise. If you need a comfortable seat dont buy the elise.

on the other hand, if you want a toy that is a blast to drive and will put a grin on your face every time you get in the car - buy the elise. if you appreciate handling buy the elise.

Another note about elise. the market is locked in at 30k. you could buy one now for around 30k and likely sell it in 2 or 3 years with no loss in depreciation. The XK8, will likely depreciate.