XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Is the XKR/RS too polished for a high performance car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Is the XKR/RS too polished for a high performance car

Those with a passion for high performance driving are drawn to the performance versions of fine sporting cars. Most may not experience that type of driving on a race track, and hopefully not too vigorously on public roads. But we scratch that itch as best we can in brief measure when the opportunity presents itself...maybe on on-ramps, twisty sections of road, and deserted places. We're drawn to racy bits like a powerful engine, big brakes, taut suspension, grippy rubber, limited slip diff, cooling vents, and a throaty exhaust that we can enjoy... even when running out for bread.

I've found the XKR to be fantastic on the race track, particularly on a "high horsepower" track where its high power advantage on the straights has an opportunity to offset its higher vehicle weight in the corners. It corners remarkably well for its weight, and it's actually stronger on the straights than 510 hp would suggest when gaining on cars you thought it shouldn't.

Those who have experienced high performance cars of the past, and a few that remain, are used to those car's being pretty raw, with little more than a comfortable seat and well-placed controls for creature comfort. Basically nothing included that wasn't necessary to go fast.

Fast forward to the XKR/RS, and most modern high performance cars that are superbly appointed with every imaginable comfort, convenience, entertainment and driver assist feature. Quite a difference from hi-po sporting cars of the past. When I retired a couple of years ago I felt the need for a new toy, and the XKR vert was the cream of the crop with a roof that was completely removable (hadn't had that since the '70 Jag E-Type), and it had a perfect back seat for extra carrying/cargo capacity.

Over the last several weeks I've been experiencing the contrast between the modern XKR and my less modern '94 Supra TT, with about the same rwhp, taut suspension, decent brakes, limited slip diff, throaty exhaust, etc, etc, as my '10 XKR. I drive it with the targa roof removed, and the XKR's top-down, for my daily use tooling around the local rural countryside. The cars are actually so similar in size, shape, power, GT layout with unusable back seat, rear hatch, that I didn't get excited about the XKR coupe back in '07-08 when I first went to look at it at a Jag dealer. Gorgeous, but too much like what I already owned...and none of the roof was removable!

What I've discovered driving the Supra again (for the first time since buying the XKR a year and a half ago) is that there is something very appealing about driving a slightly more elemental performance car. If I drove much in the city I would surely choose an automatic, but for pleasure driving on the open road I truly enjoy a manual. Your ears discover the lost purpose of listening to the engine revs building, the lovely sound as its note changes with revs, monitoring the gear you're in and selecting the next, skilled use of the clutch to smoothly shift, throttle-blipping/rev-matching to execute a seamless downshift...and the art of the heel and toe downshift under aggressive braking. That involvement alone makes you intimately connected to the car and the drive... as does removing a layer or two of features and refinement.

The days of the manual transmission are surely numbered, as are cars that aren't overly controlled by electronics and driver assists, so consider buying or hanging on to that older sports car if you'd like to experience those joys from time to time. I'd have to say modern hi-po cars like the XKR are generally perfect for their intended buyers and use...but polished to a fault at other times. I wonder if some modify theirs with louder exhausts and "aggressive" type styling mods do so in an effort to make it just a bit more raw.

Bruce

Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't have an XKR-S, but my XKR is definitely what I'd call too polished. I want it more raw. I never modify my cars, but the XKR leaves me wanting to change the exhaust. It's plenty fast, just not loud enough. I shouldn't have to be at WOT at 5000 RPM to hear the exhaust!

Other aspects of the car I am quite pleased with.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Change the exhaust, lower the suspension, and change the seats. You really need those XKR-S bolstered seats to drive it hard. Of course adding a manual transmission would be best but I'm dreaming...

Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I'd have to say modern hi-po cars like the XKR are generally perfect for their intended buyers and use...but polished to a fault at other times.
Weeeeellllll…. It's horses for courses. I spent some time considering whether I wanted to spend my hard-earned on an XKR, an XFR or a Nissan GT-R. I could buy any of them second-hand for about the same money for similar age & mileage. I'm not a track driver, so what I want is a fast road car, majoring on acceleration & handling. However, I also know that, living in the inner suburbs of London, all of my journeys will at least start and finish with traffic, endless speed humps & potholes.

The GT-R is a proper supercar - phenomenal acceleration with its 4WD, and neutral handling with just a hint of understeer. On a smooth road, it's the one to have. But over normal city streets, even in 'comfort' mode, the suspension is very firm. The car feels & sounds, well, mechanical - what you don't feel, you hear. And it tramlines horribly on worn surfaces (runflat tyres are the issue, apparently). On paper and on the track it's way ahead, but I just didn't feel I could live with it on a routine basis.

The XFR is plenty quick, but a bit too genteel for my taste, and while the looks are good for a 4-door saloon, it's still a 4-door saloon. The XKR had the right balance of comfort, speed & handling - it ticked all the boxes. However, when I discovered I could afford the XKR 75, which went a bit further towards the GT-R in terms of ride & handling without ending up being jarring, I grabbed it.

So, maybe I'm the typical target buyer. But at the same time, I love our Skoda Fabia vRS (177 bhp shopping trolley), and one of my favourite cars was a Mini Cooper Sportpack (old-school Mini), so I'm not really a 'gentleman cruiser'.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice...

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts
Default Adapable

High end performance cars are filling both comfort and raw racing needs today with electronics controlling the desired experience. The new R36 Nissan GT-R has been promised to be comfortable/polished and equipped with even more performance. The Jaguar F-type has been said to be a work in progress with each iteration improving on the previous--dual clutch tranny, AWD, and power increases. The McLaren MP4-12C is such a car with the touch of a few bottoms the car can turn into a raw track car from a completely electronic controlled Rolls Royce with its hydraulic suspension. The consumer is demanding both experiences in one car and with modern electronics and innovative mechanical engineering manufactures are delivering.

The Jaguar XKR/RS is Jaguar's best product to sell in this dual market today. In the future with better engineering and electronics the dual roll with be seamless. With the touch of a few bottoms the raw track car will appear from the polished city commuter.

Last edited by DGL; 06-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
High end performance cars are filling both comfort and raw racing needs today with electronics controlling the desired experience. The new R36 Nissan GT-R has been promised to be comfortable/polished and equipped with even more performance. The Jaguar F-type has been said to be a work in progress with each iteration improving on the previous--dual clutch tranny, AWD, and power increases. The McLaren MP4-12C is such a car with the touch of a few bottoms the car can turn into a raw track car from a completely electronic controlled Rolls Royce with its hydraulic suspension. The consumer is demanding both experiences in one car and with modern electronics and innovative mechanical engineering manufactures are delivering.

The Jaguar XKR/RS is Jaguar's best product to sell in this dual market today. In the future with better engineering and electronics the dual roll with be seamless. With the touch of a few bottoms the raw track car will appear from the polished city commuter.
It sounds like you're describing the electronics "simulating" an experience rather allowing or creating a real one.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't think its too polished...I think each model is just right for the intended buyer. If that person wanted something more raw and track focused, they would probably buy a different car. If they want more luxury, looks, and performance, the XKR/XKRS is actually hard to beat for the price.

Having been from shooting-fire-out-of-the-exhaust super raw (highly modified SC Elise) to the sports car benchmark 911 S, and now to the XKR-S, I think I have found something I will enjoy keeping a fair bit longer than the rest; if not because it is indeed easier to live with.

The XKR-S for me is the best example yet of removing many of the unpolished compromises that go with having a raw sports car, while still being fully capable of engaging your emotions and stirring the soul...And for me, that is what it's all about.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

re the sounds what is needed is a button to turn it down or loud, cause it is appreciated to have a silent car too!! when you want it.
the sounds could impair police judgment. I like the dynamic mode who allows you to really brakes and not have the noise going down like if you were pushing hard on brakes...so the quiet sounds makes it for me.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 06-08-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagxk2008
re the sounds what is needed is a button to turn it down or loud, cause it is appreciated to have a silent car too!! when you want it.
the sounds could impair police judgment. I like the dynamic mode who allows you to really brakes and not have the noise going down like if you were pushing hard on brakes...so the quiet sounds makes it for me.
+1

Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

It sounds like you're describing the electronics "simulating" an experience rather allowing or creating a real one.
A sports car or GT today with over 500 hp is common today. Ten to fifteen years ago 500+ hp was only found in $150,000+ supercars. Today these 500+ hp cars also have stability control and sophisticated suspensions which can be controlled by electronics to provide a raw track car performing car or a city comfort commuter. No simulation, only adaptable configurations enabled by modern engineering and electronics. Modern shiftable dual clutch transmissions have replaced old school manual clutch transmissions and serve both the race enthusiast and the comfort seeker.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
Modern shiftable dual clutch transmissions have replaced old school manual clutch transmissions and serve both the race enthusiast and the comfort seeker.
The 7-speed dual-clutch sequential 'box in our Fabia vRS is a jewel - auto shifts are seamless, even under hard acceleration, and there's loads of engine braking in Sport mode. It has the crisp feel of a manual 'box, the rise & fall of the revs sounds just like a manual 'box, but you can't miss a gear, you never find yourself in the wrong gear, and there's no clutch to worry about, so I can left-foot brake as I do in a normal automatic. And if I want to go manual, there's the choice of paddles or +/- lever.

I would love to have a 'box like that in an XKR. Yes, there's less "input" from the driver, but you could say the same thing about power steering, vacuum-assisted brakes, ABS or even automatic advance of timing (ever seen the spark retard/advance lever on vintage cars?). When I'm 'pressing on' on public roads, I want to concentrate on reading the road, looking out for traffic & obstructions and feeling how the car is responding to power, steering & braking - to some extent, faffing about with gears is a distraction I don't need.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

For me the xkr-s just crossed the performance/sports car threshold that I was looking for. The other cars I considered (997 TT S, 997 gt3, gtr, c 63 black series) are all more performance oriented. However, Its looks, sound, and overall daily drivability made up for its less raw/performance nature.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

To be the only toy for the hardcore enthusiast in a word --- Yes. Coming from NSX, Z4M, Viper, 911, Lotus etc. I was missing shifting my own gears and heavier steering. I considered trading for R8, Gallardo, GT3 or new Viper.

I decided that I had not gotten the car to my intended state yet and that I would not be doing it justice if I didn't do to it what I had done to many of my other toys - some of which are much inferior cars. So after a drop, exhaust, spacers I am almost there.

Wheels and diffuser will complete the look. The exhaust us absolutely obnoxious so I definitely feel like I'm in a special toy when I'm in it. I am getting over the manual thing by putting in Race/Sport mode with full time manual and listening to the exhaust while letting the monster breath heavily mid turn occasionally. Wow! When I do that she becomes a barely controllable angry beast. Feels every bit the hyper focused-track-ready car. In those moments I smile and think to myself "I have one of the automobile Industry's best kept secrets - I love this thing".

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
For me the xkr-s just crossed the performance/sports car threshold that I was looking for. The other cars I considered (997 TT S, 997 gt3, gtr, c 63 black series) are all more performance oriented. However, Its looks, sound, and overall daily drivability made up for its less raw/performance nature.
+1

Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Not sure the difference is so much between older vs. newer cars. Your Supra was, in its original stock form, also much more of a soft GT car than an all out sports car. You made it special to fit your taste and preferences as you modified it for high performance track usage.

The closest car I had in the past to the XKR was a 2+2 Lamborghini Jarama, V12. High performance for its time but, still a GT car. I enjoyed it for years but, when I got down into track racing and modified street cars that provided a much more rewarding high speed experience, I got tired of and sold the "slow" Lambo.

I think it also comes down to your previous cars owned and previous experiences. Once you experience a razor sharp street car with tons of power, something that you shaped and constructed to your exact liking, it will prove very difficult to purchase and be happy with a stock street car of just about any kind and make. Factories simply can not afford to put the type of car in a showroom with the kind of compromises that you made in your own modified speedster. When they do, they generally fail. Remember, the original 427 Cobras were not selling well because they were that raw. The 1993 Twin Turbo RX-7s were not selling because they were hard and harsh even when they were beautiful and beat just about anything on the road and on the tracks.

Cars, like the XKR are beautiful and very fast and decent in handling. Plenty enough all-around performance for most people. If it is not, one can always purchase a custom machinery, such as the Pagani (yeah, for millions) that will deliver real race-car performance for the street. Or, one can modify a Supra or and RX-7 or...? and create a monster race/street car (however compromised in comfort) for the street for far less monies. If you want that ultra performance, on-rail handling, I believe you absolutely have to have an extra car for everyday driving.

Albert

Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 250 Posts

Far be it for me to really speak highly of my experience so far....(clears throat)....but the XKR-S really is.... Dr. Jeckyl (Driving along on the highway or around town going speed limit) and Mr Hyde (flat out gunning it in dynamic mode)....I've never seen anything like it.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

I drove the XKR yesterday for the first time in several weeks, and I think maybe only for the second time since bringing it out of winter storage in early April. We've been keeping it in the city where my wife can drive it the odd time to work, and up to the lake house on weekends where I'm doing a major renovation in preparation for her joining me in retirement.

It was a beautiful sunny day for top-down cruising, we chose a destination about an hour away, and it was an ideal opportunity for me to compare it to the performance car I've been driving...and further explorer the subject of this thread.

The XKR really does provide a spectacular interior to spend quality time in. Comfortable seats, well laid out interior, and just about every convenience and feature one could desire. Its performance is smooth and effortless. You simply step on the gas, steer and brake. Computers are busy in the background, far from detection by the driver, executing the perfect upshift and rev-matched downshift, continually adjusting damper valving, limited slip differential and engine power, all to maximize comfort, handling, tire grip, and safety.

The distinction I was making in this thread is that the electronics are performing functions and controlling vehicle dynamics that the enthusiast performs for himself in some more driver focused high performance cars, and while they thankfully compensate for poor driving, and can further enhance performance with skilled driving at the limits, they also make the drive less engaging, and less rewarding for those drivers who seek that. Different wheels and spacers, drops, decals, painted trim, carbon fiber and aero pieces, loud exhaust and window tint may be popular cosmetic mods, but they don't change the level of driver involvement.

I'm sure most buyers of these cars probably get the driving experience that they are looking for, but there are definitely times that I crave more. The most satisfying option is to get it back on the track and push it to the car's limit and my own...and that's when I can truly answer Jaguar's own question "How Alive are you?" in the most enthusiastic way! And the other is to keep one truly driver focused car for frequent and instant gratification as Albert also concluded.

Albert, I managed to avoid compromising ride quality while improving handling with careful suspension upgrades. I reduced ride height and increased spring rates on the MR2T with progressive rate Eibach Pro-kit springs, reduced roll and understeer further with adjustable roll bars, and chose Tokico dampers for their compliant valving. On the Supra I used Advance Design coilovers with my choice of spring rates and damper valving that avoids the harshness of most coilover systems. It's actually less jarring than the stock Supra springs and shocks, and the MR2 still rides beautifully...a win-win!

Bruce

Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Albert, I managed to avoid compromising ride quality while improving handling with careful suspension upgrades. I reduced ride height and increased spring rates on the MR2T with progressive rate Eibach Pro-kit springs, reduced roll and understeer further with adjustable roll bars, and chose Tokico dampers for their compliant valving. On the Supra I used Advance Design coilovers with my choice of spring rates and damper valving that avoids the harshness of most coilover systems. It's actually less jarring than the stock Supra springs and shocks, and the MR2 still rides beautifully...a win-win!

Bruce
Bruce

Looks like you made some good suspension changes. When I talk about compromises, suspension is only one aspect. In my case I also have a lowered and stiffened suspension with increased sway bar rates and variable damper rates. Still my ride is far from XKR quality over broken pavement. But, hey, that's what it took to make the car behave like a race car.

Also, you make compromises, such as valve porting, cams, turbo boost delivery, exhaust sound, MPG (higher rear-end ratios), removed weight from everywhere (more cabin noise), smaller battery, etc. My engine is basically dead up to 4500 RPM, at which point both big turbos kick in like a jet afterburner. Most drivers I know hardly ever drive their cars over 3000 RPM. So, for them my car would be a total dog. You have to live near 8000 RPM in this car to get the most out of it. Not something most wives, sitting in the passenger seat, would appreciate... and the exhaust drone with only Supertrapps to do some (very little) muffling at freeway cruising speeds...

Albert

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

True enough. I resisted going too extreme on most things in an effort not to affect its street appeal. For the MR2 I planned to maximize the powerband from 3-7k rpm based on the car's gearing on both the road and track. The goal was to make the most area under the torque curve within that range. I did a detailed airflow analysis, including VE throughout that range, and found a turbo that would allow 15 psi boost from 3k, about the same as stock turbo, but much higher flow above that. I got the turbine maps from Garrett for a new model, but had to wait almost 6 months for them to produce it. It's a GT2860RS .64 AR, it makes 15 psi just before 2900 rpm, and 17 psi before 3200 rpm where the rear tires are struglling to maintain grip in 3rd gear. Holds that boost to the 7500 rpm redline and it's just a blast to drive!

I had a 3" single cat-less exhaust built for it locally with a flow thru Magnaflow and the whole thing is about 3 feet long from turbo to tip. Near instant spool, flames shooting out on upshifts, and loud enough to wake the dead. In fact, it might even be loud enough for Evoking! I just couldn't take it any longer so I put on something more civilized, but now I think I'll throw it back on with a high-flow cat to tame it a bit and make it easier at emissions testing time.

Bruce

Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

True enough. I resisted going too extreme on most things in an effort not to affect its street appeal. For the MR2 I planned to maximize the powerband from 3-7k rpm based on the car's gearing on both the road and track. The goal was to make the most area under the torque curve within that range. I did a detailed airflow analysis, including VE throughout that range, and found a turbo that would allow 15 psi boost from 3k, about the same as stock turbo, but much higher flow above that. I got the turbine maps from Garrett for a new model, but had to wait almost 6 months for them to produce it. It's a GT2860RS .64 AR, it makes 15 psi just before 2900 rpm, and 17 psi before 3200 rpm where the rear tires are struglling to maintain grip in 3rd gear. Holds that boost to the 7500 rpm redline and it's just a blast to drive!

I had a 3" single cat-less exhaust built for it locally with a flow thru Magnaflow and the whole thing is about 3 feet long from turbo to tip. Near instant spool, flames shooting out on upshifts, and loud enough to wake the dead. In fact, it might even be loud enough for Evoking! I just couldn't take it any longer so I put on something more civilized, but now I think I'll throw it back on with a high-flow cat to tame it a bit and make it easier at emissions testing time.

Bruce
Bruce

Your description of the mods is "music to my ears"

I just LOVE flames out of the exhaust on deceleration. Actually, those flames caused one of my totally burned down race cars. The plastic body work was set on fire from the exhaust flames at the Laguna Seca turn-2 breaking area during a practice session and by the time the track fire engine got there, the whole car was involved, including the fuel cell. I blew out the window quick enough and the auto fire system did not help since it had nozzles only inside and in the engine compartment. Bummer!

Albert

Quick Reply: Is the XKR/RS too polished for a high performance car