XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR-S No Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020 | 03:22 PM
|
Default XKR-S No Start

Hello

my XKR-S won’t start anymore. It is at a local Jaguar dealer for more than a month right now. They can’t find the problem. A couple of weeks ago it ran for one day and the day after nothing. Looks like it doesnt get a connection to the keys. The already put a new computer in it and they are now thinking changing the tacho panel (costs 1700 euro). Because they are still not sure if this is causing the problem (and i already spent thausends of euro’s to hours....) i want to make sure if i can buy a used tacho to check if this is causing the problem. Hope somebody knows.

Last edited by GGG; 02-06-2020 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Add Model & Year
Old 02-05-2020 | 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Joost,

Welcome to the Forum. Unfortunately your first post is included in this Thread about an engine problem under Wide Open Throttle. That doesn't seem related to your problem, so Forum members might not "chime" in to help you.
I'm not aware of a X100 XKR-S model. I would suggest you start a new thread on the X150 forum as I think you have a X150 XKR-S, and include details of the Model Year, mileage, service history. Maybe a moderator will move it for you.

FWIW the older X100 does sometimes have a problem with the KTM (Key Transponder Module - maybe that's the new computer you're referring to) but I'm not sure how that relates to the newer X150. Plus the X100 instrument cluster, behind the dash, is an essential communication hub for all the modules. So maybe your Jag dealer is thinking along similar lines. Sorry can't be of more help, but try the X150 Forum.

Old 02-05-2020 | 01:41 PM

Hi Joost,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post to start your own thread since the topic of the thread in which you posted is unrelated to your issue.

Can you please tell us the model year and engine of your Jaguar?

Does the engine rotate/crank but not start, or does it not rotate at all when the key is turned to the START position?

Can you tell us all of the diagnostic trouble codes scanned by the dealer exactly as they appear? That may provide some clues as to what is preventing your Jag from starting.

Also, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 02-05-2020 | 02:03 PM
|

Hello Don,

thanks for your reply. It’s a 2011 US XKRS.

a couple of months ago it didnt gave Any respons to my key (keyles go), so it was impossible to get it start. The complete dash instruments did not respond to my keys. So crank Or start is impossible. We changed the batteries of keys, bought new keys as well, bought a new key responder, etc but still No life, nothing. We brought the car to a local
Jaguar shop but after a few weeks No Solutions. Than we brought it to a Jaguar dealer and after a while it run for just 1 day without knowing why it ran. Next day again nothing.

They changed the parts with the yellow circle, spent 4 k to hours, but at the end nothing. Now they want to replace the instruments but it costs 1700 eur (without labour). I don’t know when and where this Will end.

I hope someone Will have Any idea.

Thanks a lot,
joost

Old 02-05-2020 | 11:41 PM

Hi Joost,

Now that you've told us your car is a 2011 I have moved your thread again, from the forum for the X100 to the forum for the X150, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your car. In this forum you will find knowledgeable members who own and service similar cars.

Again, I am curious to know all of the diagnostic trouble codes were scanned by the dealer. The list of possible causes of a no-start is so large that without knowing the codes you could be looking at countless hours of diagnostic work.

Also, could you please clarify: does the engine rotate/crank but not start, or will it not rotate/crank at all?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-06-2020 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Joost,

You said " We changed the batteries of keys, bought new keys as well, bought a new key responder, etc but still No life, nothing. We brought the car to a local Jaguar shop..."

Read my comments in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...arning-221902/

Your problem might be as simple as the CR2032 battery not making good contact with the prongs. Try a slightly thicker CR2035. A new Smartkey won't work unless it is properly paired with the car using the Jaguar SDD software by a qualified technician. If that "local Jaguar shop" is not a factory authorized Jaguar dealer they might have "bricked" your car (a Jaguar dealer could screw it up, too) by trying to fix it using trial and error method. Don't shoot in the dark. Get the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) and follow the troubleshooting steps in the Jaguar 5.0L Workshop Manual. There's a link to it in a sticky at the top of this X150 Forum.

I would also suspect a weak car battery, particularly if you don't regularly use a battery maintainer or drive enough every day to keep it fully charged. Lots of electrical gremlins are caused by a weak battery (or bad ground). Your car is 9 years old. When was the battery last replaced?

I hope this helps. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-06-2020 at 07:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
DGL (02-06-2020), Don B (02-06-2020), GGG (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 01:51 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forums Joost,

Don B has moved your original post to the correct forum and I've added your vehicle details to it so members know immediately which Model and Year you have. I see it is also an ex-USA vehicle? If so, it will be a 315 Mhz security system and not the 433 Mhz European standard. A complication but this shouldn't affect the operability.

Any idiot can throw parts at a Jaguar - especially when someone else is paying for it! The local Jaguar shop and now the Jaguar Dealer appear to be guessing using your bank account rather than systematically troubleshooting.

From your description of events, changing the Smartkey batteries was the start of the problem. The system is controlled by a KVM (keyless vehicle module) located on the RH 'A' pillar. Six Low Frequency (LF) antennae positioned within the vehicle transmit a LF signal to the Smartkey. On receipt of the LF signal, the Smart Key transmits an RF signal which is received by the KVM. Once the KVM has verified the correct Smartkey for the vehicle, the ignition status is changed to 'accessory' by the Central Junction Box (CJB) and the 'start/stop' button becomes active.

If there are problems with the Smartkey batteries or the Smartkey is not recognised by the KVM, this 'handshake' process can be bypassed by inserting the Smartkey directly into the slot in the control unit in the centre console.

Before they started throwing in expensive new parts, what error codes did diagnostics report to justify the decision?

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
DGL (02-06-2020), Don B (02-06-2020), MarkyUK (02-06-2020), Stuart S (02-06-2020), tberg (02-07-2020)