XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR-S not selling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
drc
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Performance Pac

Originally Posted by DGL
Just bought that car you described (without the 550hp). Although, should be about 525hp with the performance exhaust. Definitely more than 510hp.

2013 XKR with dynamic pack/performance exhaust. Same suspension (28% stiffer springs, full machined knuckles, dynamic performance tuned suspension) as XKR-S. Same wheels/tires as XKR-S. Performance exhaust is the same as the XKR-S. Also, with the XKR optioned with the dynamic pack it comes standard with the bright pack which is a $4,000 option on the XKR-S.

The car is much better than my 2011 XKR 175 in looks and performance. I can feel the road more with the stiffer suspension and the exhaust note is to die for.
Damn, if I'd known that they have the XKRS performance pac I would have never spent the money for the XKRS! ****! Who cares about the extra 40hp & 40 torque. The last thing the XKR needs is more power and torque.

Anyways, congratulations DGL!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
Who cares about the extra 40hp & 40 torque. The last thing the XKR needs is more power and torque.
You forgot the pop out front bumper vertical splitters

but seriously I like the way you've done it, full blown XKR-S with the speed pack spoiler, to me that's perfect.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority who bought the XKR-S and loves it just how it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it except for the tires it comes with and I did change out the front orange reflectors with Euro spec clear ones.

If you don't want the extra power and you don't like the looks of the rear spoiler I can't on earth imagine why you wouldn't have bought the standard XKR. The XKR-S is special and should be kept outrageous looking IMO. It's very unique looking and one of a kind. The rear spoiler is aggresive, functional, and since its a stock piece on an extremely limited edition car I personally don't think it falls into the boy racer category. I have always reserved that for the tacky high wing aftermarket installs on your corner store variety civic or eclipse.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 936 Likes on 613 Posts

I like the look of both the XKR ad the XKR-S. In fact I was looking at a 2013 XKR-S before I bought my 2013 XKR. The XKR-S would have cost me over $25,000 more just for the body kit, performance seats, leather headliner and a 550hp tune. I also got the bright pack which costs $4,000 on the XKR-S and the standard cooled seats which I wanted. I like the look of the performance sets but the cooled seats on a hot day is blizz.

It basically came down to $s. The XKR I bought also only had 300 miles on it and had the new car smell with new stickers on it. The XKR-S I was looking at, which was the lowest priced at the time for a 2013 had 7,000 miles and had the front splitter painted where it was damaged on the sides and front. I wanted a 2012 or 2013 with the dynamic pack, performance exhaust, black exterior and as close to new as possible without taking the initial new car depreciation hit. I think I did extremely well. I saved close to $30,000 below MSRP. A well bought used Jaguar is the best car deal around.

The Jaguar XK, XKR, XKR-S is the best GT car available today hands down. I looked at Maserati, BMW M6, Mercedes SL AMG and SLS. The current XK line is eye popping gorgeous, and can be configured with real performance options. No other car available today gives you more for your $'s new or used. I'm not loyal to any brand. I just want to get the most for my money and as close to possible to what I want.

Last edited by DGL; 08-28-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
The XKR I bought also only had 300 miles on it and had the new car smell with new stickers on it
DGL:

So after your small bit of issues with the car, tell us what your impressions are, and how do you like it. Has your frustrations with the Bentley dealer subsided?

Looks like a beautiful car. How did the transport go? Any damages in transport?

Have you posted any photos yet?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I think the XKR-S is a little bit too vulgar for most people. I think it looks silly, and I certainly wouldn't pay a price premium over a regular XKR for it. It's no secret that the XK is an aging platform, and Jaguar is doing its best to keep it fresh. However, in the process, they are making themselves out to look desperate, especially with that XKR-S GT!
Lots of truth in this where the traditional Jag buyer is concerned. With the XKR-S tt seems to me that Jaguar were attempting to pull in the kind of person who might buy an AMG Black Mercedes or a Nissan GTR. Somebody who wants mega performance and wants everybody who sees he/she to know it. Not my style for sure, but if it works for you, go for it.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by agentorange
Lots of truth in this where the traditional Jag buyer is concerned. With the XKR-S tt seems to me that Jaguar were attempting to pull in the kind of person who might buy an AMG Black Mercedes or a Nissan GTR. Somebody who wants mega performance and wants everybody who sees he/she to know it. Not my style for sure, but if it works for you, go for it.
I personally don't think Jag is after the traditional Jaguar buyer at all. I think their entire line up is going to shake up the market and I think we will see a lot of new buyers who never considered a Jag before, taking the plunge.

The XKR-S GT can hardly be called a production car, they made what, 30 of them? I read an article that said due to demand they may increase that to 50 cars. This car is not a money maker, its a publicity stunt and a way to increase public awareness of a new and aggressive Jaguar that is down to get dirty.

And I couldn't disagree more with amcdonal86, about the XKR-S looking silly...Granted I have an ownership bias and I understand that is his opinion with looks being largely subjective....But my experience owning the car has been the total opposite. Complete strangers have stopped me on several occasions in parking lots, gas stations, where ever I may be, to comment on how gorgeous this car looks. I have never had a car that gets so many compliments on its good looks than this one. As for performance, review after review comparing the XKR to the XKR-S states the improvements as largely welcomed and well worth the dough. Not that anyone should be worried about MSRP anyway, I picked up my '12 XKR-S for less than a '13 XKR, and I bet in less than 5 years my RS will be worth considerably more than that one year newer XKR, if simply because of its rarity.

I think the XKR-S, F-TYPE, XFR-S, and the new XJR are all creating waves of awareness in the direction Jaguar is headed...and if their future cars drive as good as my XKR-S does...I don't think there will be many more "not selling" threads for a long while.

This car looks and sounds amazing, and even better in person.

Attached Thumbnails XKR-S not selling?-1233987_10151815433359941_657232688_n.jpg   XKR-S not selling?-1175575_10151800089649941_1835015243_n.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Granted I have an ownership bias ....
Jag owners have an ownership bias? Say it ain't so!

The following users liked this post:
Matt in Houston (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Only the 2010 and 2011 models have the silly catfish look!
The 2012 refresh fixed that with the newer headlights.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I also disagree with the comments regarding the Xkr-s not looking good, boy racer, etc. I bought the car, so I obviously like its looks. However, I have never owned a car before that received so many positive comments about its looks/styling (I have owned Porsche 911 turbo, M3's, etc). People often video my car, take pictures, and ask me about it. I live in area which has probably the most exotic cars in the USA and still get this attention.
Jag is definitely moving in a different direction with part of its line up in terms of styling and performance. I think the RS did not sell well, because many are not familiar with the car (vs Porsche, mb, BMW) ,the jag stigma of poor reliability still exists, and it was a fairly $$ car new.

In terms of performance vs a Xkr - I drove the Xkr at R academy and to me, the Xkr-s feels like it has greater than 40 hp more than the R. I don't know if the RS is underrated in hp or the extra tq (502 lb-ft) gives me that impression. One of the instructors at another jag event also told me he felt like the hp difference between the cars felt more than 40.

Last edited by Octurbo; 08-28-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
I also disagree with the comments regarding the Xkr-s not looking good, boy racer, etc. I bought the car, so I obviously like its looks. However, I have never owned a car before that received so many positive comments about its looks/styling (I have owned Porsche 911 turbo, M3's, etc). People often video my car, take pictures, and ask me about it. I live in area which has probably the most exotic cars in the USA and still get this attention.
Jag is definitely moving in a different direction with part of its line up in terms of styling and performance. I think the RS did not sell well, because many are not familiar with the car (vs Porsche, mb, BMW) ,the jag stigma of poor reliability still exists, and it was a fairly $$ car new.

In terms of performance vs a Xkr - I drove the Xkr at R academy and to me, the Xkr-s feels like it has greater than 40 hp more than the R. I don't know if the RS is underrated in hp or the extra tq (502 lb-ft) gives me that impression. One of the instructors at another jag event also told me he felt like the hp difference between the cars felt more than 40.
The XKR with a simple tune can achieve greater than 50 extra ponies over the stock XKR-S. See ETG ECU tuning. The engines in the XKR, F-type S8 and XKR-S are identical. Jaguar sells the XKR-S is their "R-S" model; so, of course they're going to promote it to the hilt to get you to reach for an extra $30,000.

Last edited by DGL; 08-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
The XKR with a simple tune can achieve greater than 50 extra ponies over the stock XKR-S. See ETG ECU tuning. The engines in the XKR, F-type S8 and XKR-S are identical. Jaguar sells the XKR-S is their "R-S" model; so, of course they're going to promote it to the hilt to get you to reach for an extra $30,000.
Yeah, that tune or a similar one is being promoted to bump up the XKR-S to 620hp. It also requires a pulley upgrade. A couple of weeks ago I told them I would buy the tune if I could see the XKR-S dyno that shows these gains. At this point I am still waiting. Not as simple as I was hoping, I guess.

As far as the XKR-S upgraded power, well it's still a little comforting in my mind to know my tune was programmed and installed by Jaguar, and not a third party tuner. If they don't come through with the dyno sheet, I am perfectly content with the stock 550 hp 502 tq.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only feature I am on the fence about is the XKR-S rear spoiler. Other than that one item I think the car looks tremendous. I love the front end treatment. Looks very aggressive.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PC XKR
The only feature I am on the fence about is the XKR-S rear spoiler. Other than that one item I think the car looks tremendous. I love the front end treatment. Looks very aggressive.
I don't mine the XKR-S rear spoiler. I think it looks good with the carbon fiber top and it's low enough that it doesn't look too out of place. On the other hand the XKR-S GT just looks ridiculous and so out of place.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I don't mine the XKR-S rear spoiler. I think it looks good with the carbon fiber top and it's low enough that it doesn't look too out of place. On the other hand the XKR-S GT just looks ridiculous and so out of place.
Im with you on the GT. I would be embarrassed to drive it on the street.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I guess I'm in the minority who bought the XKR-S and loves it just how it is. I wouldn't change a thing about it except for the tires it comes with and I did change out the front orange reflectors with Euro spec clear ones.
Dude, that made me laugh out loud!

Did somebody call my car a catfish? That's just silly.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

XKRS looks fine as it is. Wouldn't change a thing. Good last hoorah for the body style.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by drc
I bought mine at SJ British Motors too. Every time I've gone down there, they are still sitting there. When I saw the price drop I was really upset. They would not budge on the price when they first came out. Now they can't give them away.

As far as looking vulgar, ya I get that point of view. I agree that the wing on the back has a boy racer look to it. But the front looks better than the cat fish mouth of the XKR. Now it looks like a pissed off catfish. I replaced the wing with the taller spoiler off of the 175 and it brought the lines back. Now I think it's the sweetest looking jag on the road.

What is it about jaguars that makes them so exciting to drive? I think some one here nailed it by saying that you never quite know when they are going to break loose, lol. I couldn't agree more. I went to Michelin Super Pilot Sports and they communicate much better than the P Zeros. They start to slip but still have some grip left. The P Zeros grip, and grip and let go.

Cheers!
So.... Does that mean you have a wing sitting around?????

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 381 Likes on 255 Posts

In 2014 for the 2015 model year I hear the XK will be re-done. however could it be 2015 for the 2016 model tr?!?. Makes more sense to do it next June as supposedly the XKRS is supposed to no longer be made?!?!?... And the XKRS-GT is a one year wonder?

Total run in US was supposed to be:

XKR-S: 300 coupes and 75 convertibles from 2012 through 2014.

XKR-S GT: ? 25 or 30 in US and Canada?!? Not for sure on that one.

So... Just one more year in the sun before the XK goes from a gorgeously beautifully aggressive grand tourer which could serve every function to Everyman within limits to..... A larger luxury tourer with F- type being the soul sport car of the Jaguar brand?!?!?!?!? Or will it be 2?!?!?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 381 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
So.... Does that mean you have a wing sitting around?????
It went to Mina Gallery... Which is why u can buy a XKRS wing from them!

Quick Reply: XKR-S not selling?