XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR-S problems - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR-S problems - help needed

I own an XKR-S. It has been back to the dealers several times for the same issues. All four tyres deflate on a daily basis and the battery drains within days (less than a week).
The dealership is telling us the tyres should deflate and that there’s nothing wrong with the battery.... so basically there’s nothing wring with the car.
We are fed up of wanting to go out for a drive and not even being able to open the car because the battery is dead or we have to stop to blow the tyres up. The car is ran weekly to ensure it keeps going but recently we can’t even do that.
Oh... and the windscreen washers regularly stop working which is a little dangerous... nothing wrong though according to the dealership.
The dealership are so obnoxious over this saying that this is normal?
Please can someone who knows advise?
Many thanks in advance

Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Take the car to a local tire dealer and have them check for leaks, they will find the problem area. It could be porous / cracked rims which are harder to detect. Go to Autozone and have them load test the battery, if they say the battery is good, you know you have a voltage drain somewhere in the electrical system or a bad alternator or voltage regulator. You can take the car to an auto electrician or you can easily measure the drain with a multi-meter and remove fuses until the drain stops as indicated on the meter, this way you have narrowed down the problem area in the wiring. I would not mind betting that the wiper circuit is at fault as they work intermittently.
There is no need to use the dealer for any of these items as they are not necessarily Jaguar specific

Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

+1 on having the battery tested. Running the vehicle once per week is not enough to keep the battery at full charge. With the ignition in the off position, there should be a minimum of 12.5 volts across the battery terminals for the vehicle to function correctly. A failing or weak battery is a major contributor to many electrical 'mysteries' on the X150.

You should consider purchasing a battery tender to ensure the battery is kept charged.

The valves on the wheels may be the problem, or perhaps a porous rim. Although the likelihood of all four wheels being porous is remote.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,321 Likes on 3,465 Posts

The OP's public profile says he's in GB, so perhaps there's a store similar to AutoZone, a US chain of auto parts stores. He didn't say if he's the original owner or bought it used, so we don't know if one or more wheels have been damaged and repaired. A cracked wheel can leak at the weld. In addition, he didn't say how many pounds of air he lost every day or his cold tire pressures front and rear. It is normal for a hot tire, say at 38 lbs., to lose 3-5 lbs. when cold and for tire pressures to change with the seasons as the ambient temperature changes. We don't know how far it was to his dealer, so it's possible that his battery was fully charged by the time he got there.

Bottom line is that we don't have enough facts to conclude that his dealer was wrong.

+1 on using a battery maintainer. Lots of threads on this this Forum. The CTEK brand is highly recommended.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

He can use Halfords or a similar parts house in the UK to test the battery.

And there is likely more to the story than has been reported thus far.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Also, how you turn the car off can contribute to the problem. A service advisor at the dealership told me that after you turn everything off. Hit the lock button and the mirrors turn inward, then hit the button again (you'll hear a beep) to turn off all the electronics. And take the key fob with you. Don't leave it in the car or within about 30 feet of it. Otherwise the car will continue to communicate with the fob and drain the battery.

The following 2 users liked this post by chazaroo:
NBCat (10-20-2017), robtroxel (10-24-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Ditto. Based on the OP's limited post I'm assuming the TPMS monitoring is faulting out so I suspect the batteries in the sensors are dying. They only last a couple years. Get an actual measurement before putting air in the tires. My TPMS is always faulted, I just ignore it I feel like getting new sensors.

I also agree that you need to supplement the battery charge if you aren't going to drive it daily. There's just too much electronic stuff that's barely asleep.

Best advice I can give is read the past 40 pages more or less of topics to see what common problems you'll end up with and the resolution so you're not fighting your dealer.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-20-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

"The dealership is telling us the tyres should deflate"...Tell the dealer that ALL of the cars on the lot must be defective since they all have air in their tyres. Ask them if they going to promptly take the air out of all the tires to fix that problem?