XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR-S stock rim/wheel finish...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XKR-S stock rim/wheel finish...

Morning All-

I've done several searches on this forum, but have not been able to find anything pertaining to this question...so thought I would just post.

After putting a good clean on my RS this week, I've noticed that all 4 rims are losing the finish. If I had to guess, it looks like either a clear-coat is cracking and beginning to peel, or the powder coating is giving way (not sure what the original manufacturing process was on the stock XKR-S rims in 2012.

1) Has anyone else experienced this?
2) Any thoughts on if this would meet requirements for a warranty claim?
3) Any thoughts on whether Jag would accept this as a warranty claim?

The car is a 2012, but I only have 14k miles...no dings/curb rash on the rims, and I don't use anything other than the usual wheel cleaners on it.

Attached is a photo of one of the rims...the flash on my camera makes it look worse than it is, but it was the only way to get you a good idea of what I am seeing.

Thanks
Mike

Attached Thumbnails XKR-S stock rim/wheel finish...-20160416_063504_resized.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,009 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Glad it looks worse than it is, because that looks pretty bad.
Looks like chemical etching.
I'd suspect that the wheel cleaner is too strong, and to blame.

The following users liked this post:
Tervuren (04-21-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

I suspect the wheels are painted and clear coated. It looks like the clear coat is being damaged buy the product you use to clean your wheels. I have seen this on cars that are run through automatic car washes where the customer selected the wheel/tire cleaner option. The only way to correct this is to get the wheels refinished. Also don't use a bristle brush when cleaning as they start to scratch the finish.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,313 Likes on 3,462 Posts

If you bought your XKR-S used, it's likely that all 4 rims were repainted (not powder coated) by a mobile shop to fix minor curb rash and make the car appear flawless - a common reconditioning practice by most dealers as well as knowledgeable individual sellers. Usually, those jobs are quick and cheap (under $100/rim) and don't last. When you get them refinished, have them powder coated, which is a much harder and more durable process than simply repainting.

If you bought your XKR-S brand new and know that the rims have never been refinished, and your car is still under warranty, I'd pursue a warranty claim with the dealer for defective materials and/or workmanship. It could be an uphill battle; read the warranty first and see if wheels are excluded. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-16-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:02 AM

I know a worse case scenario is that I can get the wheels powder coated black for $50/wheel...my neighbor just had his F Type done black...they look awesome.

Like Stuart said...nothing ventured, nothing gained...I will ask the dealer to open a claim and see where it goes. I did buy it used...so I suppose anything could have happened.

Thanks
Mike

Old 04-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Since they are already pretty bad, take some 0000 steel wool and try polishing a tiny section and see if it clears it up, If it does, you'll have to do all of them and then clear coat them, but it will save a lot of grief. I have done this on my painted silver wheels on my 2002 XKR, and it does not damage the paint but cleans them up beautifully.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

I also have a 2012 XKR-S, same wheels as yours. I would go with what others have said and guess its the wheel cleaner/brush. Too abrasive.

Mine are coated with OptiCoat Pro+, so I don't even need a brush or cleaner. Just soap and water and they look fine.

However, one does have a little curb rash and I want to get it refinished. Unsure about matching the factory finish though. The guy I've used before that my indy uses didn't think he could match the finish.

Might need to go through the dealer to guarantee a match.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Here in San Diego there's a few mobile wheel refinishing companies and their reviews are all stellar. You may want to try Yelp, looks like they charge @$175 per wheel. Of course there are also places you can go to that will straighten, repair, or "true" your wheel and refinish it as well maybe they are near you otherwise you can send them in I've heard very good about their service and their prices are quite reasonable

Old 04-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Here in San Diego there's a few mobile wheel refinishing companies and their reviews are all stellar. You may want to try Yelp, looks like they charge @$175 per wheel. Of course there are also places you can go to that will straighten, repair, or "true" your wheel and refinish it as well maybe they are near you otherwise you can send them in I've heard very good about their service and their prices are quite reasonable
I've actually checked with 3 different vey reputable companies around Chicago and so far none of them have been willing to guarantee a match to the other wheels. The XKR-S stock wheel finish is kind of unique. Its a matte-gray finish, but not completely matte. Sort of hard to describe if you haven't seen it in person.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 893 Posts

I'd have a crack with a clay bar first. It probably wont work but it wont damage them in the attempt.

I had something a little the same on one of my wheels after some turps got on it (long story) though you couldnt really notice it against the silver of the wheel unless you were really looking.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 AM

So to update....the car was in the dealer this past week for an electrical gremlin (yet to be determined but new head unit on the way) and I inquired about the wheels. The dealer's hands a bit tied right now as Jag indicates the warranty period does not cover cosmetics. I've reached out to JAG USA and indicated that I would like a case opened and this re-visited. I do not use any brush on the wheels, nor am I using any harsh chemicals to clean the rims. Personally, I think this is a delamination of clear coat or it was an improper mix when applied. I am not going to claim to be a paint expert, but I am (in a round about way) very involved in the automotive paint side at the OEM and Tier 1/Tier 2 levels...after reviewing this with some of my people, we all come to the same conclusion. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the feedback to date...Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by OhioMike:
01Silverstone (05-06-2016), Lothar52 (04-30-2016)