Rscultho, tell them that:
Camaro might do 0-60 in what ... 4 sec plus maybe, but

your XKR will do 0-women in no time!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Everyone's forgetting the natural order in the world---
-Pigs like pigs
-Chickens like chickens
-Goats like goats---well some from Montana may like them too.Ohhh!
-Jaguars like jaguars
-Camaro owners like camaros
By the way I'd love to have a '69 Z-28

Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Agentorange

I'm still laughing at Agentorange's comment about the Lasik ads... too funny!!!

I would do that

Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

All, figured I'd add my 2 cents. I don't even own a XK/R, I have an S-type R. But trying to compare a Camaro, though I do find it to be a handsome car, to a XK, my response, R U CRAZY! There is absolutely no comparison. I do consider the Camaro a much better than average looking car, but by no means is it as absolutely beautiful as an XK. You could beef up the Camaro and get similar performance, but there is nothing you can do to make it as stunning as the Jag. just no way. the Camaro is nice and cute, the Jag exotic and drop dead gorgeous!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (03-03-2020)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynchris
All, figured I'd add my 2 cents. I don't even own a XK/R, I have an S-type R. But trying to compare a Camaro, though I do find it to be a handsome car, to a XK, my response, R U CRAZY! There is absolutely no comparison. I do consider the Camaro a much better than average looking car, but by no means is it as absolutely beautiful as an XK. You could beef up the Camaro and get similar performance, but there is nothing you can do to make it as stunning as the Jag. just no way. the Camaro is nice and cute, the Jag exotic and drop dead gorgeous!!!!
I agree. I have owned mine over a year and I still turn back and look each time I walk away. Stunning, absolutely stunning....

Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Could be that a properly modded Camaro would take a new XKR off the line, 1/4 mile even... They are coming out with big power and displacement AND are also supercharged, so figure our engines with more cubic inches.

But so what? If I was all about beating people at the stoplight, I'd have bought a GT-R and have done with it.

If someone is only capable of measuring a car by acceleration, the XKR is not going to size up. There are so many other measures of a car's value, and the Jag scores huge in all of them.

Besides, to put it bluntly, the amount of prestige and (ahem) female attention the Jag attracts are way beyond anything GM makes. Not even close.

Wanna argue 0-60 times? How about 0-getting a gals phone number times? LOL...

I never argue cars that are apples and orange comparisons, not worth the grief. Let him delude himself into thinking that stuffing a big de-tuned Corvette motor in a body you can otherwise buy on the cheap as a commuter car with a six banger equates to the whole package that the XKR represents.

As to what Aston drivers think of our cars, I know what I would think...

I'd be PISSED that a new car is out that captures 80% of the visceral beauty while costing nearly 1/2 the price, with better performance, and far greater reliability and warranty coverage. Pissed.

I'd still recognize that that the Aston looks better and is more exclusive to those in the know, and would have some extra swagger for the higher value and lower build numbers, but I'd be mad that the same designer inked a car that recreates so much of the same visual concept at a lower price point.

Plenty of us on the board here could have bought the Aston, have the $, and we chose the XKR instead. I think it is just a better car, all things considered, even factoring in price difference as a minor factor.

Now let the Camaro fans enjoy their wanna-be retro mass production adolescent appealing rides and realize that you are in a different and, (sorry to be blunt) higher class of car.

Sorry for the (tongue in cheek) elitist/sexist aspect of the post, you get my drift...

Skeeter

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM

r0M8470, missed your post! ROTFL. I thought that was an original line of mine (albeit the one I use in person is a bit more crude). LOL. Great minds think alike and in the gutter.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Default Vette maybe

Your co-worker has missed the ball entirely, the only GM car comaprable in looks and performance would be the Corvette which the camaro can't even hold a candle to.

Now as for XKR acceleration, 0-60 and drag racing... pictures speak loader than words:

Jaguar XKR vs C5 Corvette - YouTube

There's a comparison to argue about.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Your co-worker has missed the ball entirely, the only GM car comaprable in looks and performance would be the Corvette which the camaro can't even hold a candle to.

Now as for XKR acceleration, 0-60 and drag racing... pictures speak loader than words:

Jaguar XKR vs C5 Corvette - YouTube

There's a comparison to argue about.
That's not even the current generation vette, but I'm sure you know that, most likely it's a 10 year old 345HP vette worth maybe $20K in todays dollars. So why post that?

Tom

Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Default Like I said

Well Tom, why are we comparing a Camaro to an XK/XKR... right!?!

I bet more XK/XKR drivers looked at vettes than they did Camaros when car shopping, which was my point. Plus I know we (I say we b/c I believe we are all Jaguar owners here) won't be taking down any ZR1 even with an XKR-S, if that makes you feel better.

Anyway like I said in my post and like you're doing "There's a comparison to argue about"

Actually I still haven't answered you're question of Why did I post that?

Here's why: I drive a Jag and i love it and I appreciate all other Jag owners and their impecable taste and I always root for the Home Team. Jag Vs. Anything.

Jag wins=Smile Its called Pride in Ownership

as for current generation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLr2iz9Hbp4

Last edited by Mike V; 02-03-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I love watching the XKR dust off the 'vette. Great video!!!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Well Tom, why are we comparing a Camaro to an XK/XKR... right!?!

I bet more XK/XKR drivers looked at vettes than they did Camaros when car shopping, which was my point. Plus I know we (I say we b/c I believe we are all Jaguar owners here) won't be taking down any ZR1 even with an XKR-S, if that makes you feel better.

Anyway like I said in my post and like you're doing "There's a comparison to argue about"

Actually I still haven't answered you're question of Why did I post that?

Here's why: I drive a Jag and i love it and I appreciate all other Jag owners and their impecable taste and I always root for the Home Team. Jag Vs. Anything.

Jag wins=Smile Its called Pride in Ownership

as for current generation: Corvette Grand Sport vs Nissan GT-R vs Jaguar XKR - YouTube
Not Apples to Apples. least expensive and lowest HP vette against the other Marques top model. But if that makes you feel good. Enjoy.

BTW I own an 08 XK and 07 Z06.

Tom

Last edited by TomServo; 02-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Good for you

Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM

I drove a special edition 'Vette to Las Vegas and back months ago. Some high points, tons of torque, runs freeway speeds at below 2,000rpm, active exhaust (like the XKR but biased a bit more loud), good suspension (not too hard, like the Jag with the magnetic adjustable shocks). BUT...

Simply embarrassing interior! Junk! Like Chevrolet Grand Am junk. And the view out the front windshield is awful. A think slice of windshield, steeply raked, with a view consisting of 75% hood and 25% road. I exaggerate, but only a bit, visibility is terrible and it really detracts from freeway cruising. The model we were in cost close to the Jag, and was just not ready for prime time.

I'm sure it'd turn faster lap times, but unless you want a pure track car (and if you do, there are better choices), the 'vette just isn't there IMO. Getting better, I'll give them that, but build quality and especially interior design need serious attention.

Plus, it's a Corvette. Will always in my mind be a slightly tainted brand. No appeal to non-car people, doesn't seem to appeal to a female audience, too much legacy Burt Reynolds factor for me... Compare to the attention the Jags get and they have a hole to dig themselves out of. Even when GM works out all the deficits, they still have a brand image to deal with, one that doesn't scream 'prestige' like so many other cars that also go fast.

And embarrassing how the GTR beats up on even the ZR1. Ouch.

Skeeter

Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

" You are correct,the Camaro is superior to the XK in every way. In fact most Jaguar owners I know are anticipating the day they step up to a Camaro!"

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Come-on guys! No reason to put down other cars. We love our Jags, can we just live with that? As to me I'd be happy to also have a Vette or a Boss 302, if only I could find the garage space and the wife's blessing. They are all great for different aspects.

Albert

Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
The ZL1 is going to be a brute of a car. I had been saving money to buy a Convertible Camaro -- and once they came out I went to drive one. I came away underwhelmed. Personally, I think they're fantastic looking cars from the outside. But from the inside, it's not just materials, the ergonomics are terrible. Gauges in weird places. No Nav option outside of onstar. And at the time they said no Convertible ZL1 and I wanted a convertible. So I took my cash and got an XKR instead. It's an absolute beauty where the camaro is a brute. They both have their place. It's just that the XKRs place is in my garage!
I did the exact same thing last year. Agreed on the ZL1 - No contest however with the XKR vs Camaro- especially in 2013 when our interiors get better

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If a Camaro owner tried to make that case (looks), I'd say "This would be a boring world if everyone liked the same car".

If an Aston Martin V8 Vantage owner tried to make that case, I'd say "I agree with you, but yours is the only one".

Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think lap times mean much unless you're looking for a track car. You can't max out either of these cars on the street for more than a few seconds without crossing the line where speeding tickets turn into jail time (and looking like a giant douche).

I have to agree with the posters who said it's a matter of personal taste. I know people who love the new Camaro, and while I admit it does look striking the first time you see one by the third time it just looks overdone.

I've had similar discussions with people at work when discussing the cars I'm thinking of buying (XKR, M6, SL, CTS-V). One person in particular dislikes the Jag. I can see where it wouldn't suit his personality, but I think it suits mine the best.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:13 AM
Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
So I had a guy at work try and convince me that the new Camaro is a better looking car than my XKR, and a better performing car. While he admitted the interior wasn't "quite" the same in appointments, he is of the opinion that it is only slightly less so.

At first I just chuckled, thinking he was joking with me, but it became apparent to me as he continued that he was serious.

I did not know how to react.

So what opinions do we have on this????
How does a common car that EVERYBODY have is better than an XKR when you don't see people with many of them?A car that you don't see many of them on the streets are classified as exotic and normal people that can afford camaros or other common sports cars can't afford a Jaguar XKR with the double insurance they make you pay for them if you not getting some type of senior or military discount.With that said, what you paying an insurance makes the Jaguar XKR an exotic car especially if you don't see many people driving them all because of that

Quick Reply: XKR vs Camaro...