XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR X150 Side skirts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR X150 Side skirts

Hi everyone,

I have a question about side skirts for my dads car. He would like to put some on because he thinks it will protect the car from stone chips. He is getting both sides resprayed and thought about putting some side skirts on first.

There are a couple on eBay at the moment. Does anybody know how these actually attach on? The skirts seem to have holes but not clips. Are the clips already on the car and do these fit over the existing structure? Or do you have to remove what’s there to fit the skirts? I’ve read a couple of different things on the forums and it seems some, like the xk60 skirts, are replacement panels.

My dad is looking for something that will fit over the existing structure to protect it rather than a replacement panel.

Thanks in advance if anybody can offer some help,

geoff

Old 10-12-2021, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,320 Likes on 3,465 Posts

Google "3M Clear Paint Protection Film".

Old 10-12-2021, 08:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Google "3M Clear Paint Protection Film".
+1
A far more sensible approach.

The Parts Catalogue shows the side skirts are a single panel with some design variations. However, the fixings are common so any alternative would be a replacement and not fitted over the existing.

Graham

Old 10-12-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

When I first got my XKR in 2013 and started looking at the X150 forum, there was a forum member whose car I really admired in terms of looks. So I set about assembling the pieces I needed to make mine look similar. I went even a little further with the rear bumper/diffuser replacement from F/X Designs. But the skirts and the front splitter that came on the XKR175 I was able to source from Chris at Mina Galleries. Although he doesn't show them on his website any longer, he still has the moulds and will make them as ordered. As I recall the skirts are put on with adhesive, I don't recall them being screwed or clipped. They will need some sanding, forming, and paint, obviously, but eight years later they still look good to me. Below are a few pictures. Mina is located just a few minutes from where I live, and I stop by every so often to pick up or order something, so if you need any help there, just let me know.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,490 Posts

If you don't care for looks and stone chips are truly the only reason for concern, PPF (film) is the best best way, also mud/debris flaps would work but would look hideous. If you're after a cosmetic or aero upgrade, there's a few options.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Received 94 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
When I first got my XKR in 2013 and started looking at the X150 forum, there was a forum member whose car I really admired in terms of looks. So I set about assembling the pieces I needed to make mine look similar. I went even a little further with the rear bumper/diffuser replacement from F/X Designs. But the skirts and the front splitter that came on the XKR175 I was able to source from Chris at Mina Galleries. Although he doesn't show them on his website any longer, he still has the moulds and will make them as ordered. As I recall the skirts are put on with adhesive, I don't recall them being screwed or clipped. They will need some sanding, forming, and paint, obviously, but eight years later they still look good to me. Below are a few pictures. Mina is located just a few minutes from where I live, and I stop by every so often to pick up or order something, so if you need any help there, just let me know.

I also got the skirts from Chris at Mina and there are what look like clear circles in the moulds for screwing them in on the bottom side. I can't imagine them being adhered with adhesive unless it was bonded on. I had a shop do the prep and install so I don't have full details, but I believe they did screw them in underneath.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (10-14-2021)