XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKR to XKR-S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

In terms of performance, the F type is the better car. And, not by little, by quite a bit. Sharper steering, better brakes, significantly faster, better body control. Even though it weighs as much as the XKR, it drives like a much lighter car. It takes pressure in a relaxed way.

I have driven both F types, the V6S/V8S and the XKR. The V6S is more comparable to the XKR as the V8S would just terrorize the XKR both on the street and on the track. I can only imagine driving dynamics on the F type R/RS....like a bad African cat on the loose

Old 03-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I can't wait to try the R next week.. They are going to be pushing them on us as its the last Performance Academy to feature the XKR.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 383 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
So I'm guessing none of you would consider an F Type R over an XKR-S?

By all means I want both!!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
4 100ths is a lot in spec racing but I'd expect a few seconds for 32k. Did the XKR have the dynamic pack? VIR also has some really fast straights where 40HP makes a difference. If it was only .04 quicker with 40 extra HP and a better suspension I'm not impressed at all for 32 large, a good wheel alignment and difference in tires would give you that improvement.

I think I've seen better times then that for other tracks.
The RS was 4 sec per lap faster, not 0.04. I didn't include the 10ths of sec, but it was something like 3:06.4 vs 3:02.2, which is a big difference

Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Octurbo
The RS was 4 sec per lap faster, not 0.04. I didn't include the 10ths of sec, but it was something like 3:06.4 vs 3:02.2, which is a big difference
My apologies, I was obviously ineffectively multitasking and didn't read the time correctly. Four seconds is quick and what I would have expected.

I'm not good enough to get 4 seconds out of it maybe 2 or 2.5 but thats why I don't race cars for a living.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (04-08-2021)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

XKR- very smooth, quiet, classy, refined GT, beautiful.
XKRS - very smooth still, loud, more aggressive looking and feeling, stiffer...MORE TORQUE WITH LOUDER SOUND= MORE FUN!

Last edited by Lothar52; 03-11-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Default my 2 cents

I've had both cars. I personally preferred the xkrs over a heavily modified xkr that I had. the xkr was to soft and always had problems with steering being to light and getting worse as speeds traveled into triple digits. the car was actually down right terrifying at 160mph, on the other hand the xkrs I believe misleads a little by its more aggressive looks it's an xkr with everything being slightly better for high speed driving and track use. cruising speeds or any speeds below 100mph I believe the sound is the only main difference and the looks. if I was buying a car now which I am. I would go for this

Attached Thumbnails XKR to XKR-S...-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by russduka:
Panthro (06-15-2016), rscultho (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by russduka
I've had both cars. I personally preferred the xkrs over a heavily modified xkr that I had. the xkr was to soft and always had problems with steering being to light and getting worse as speeds traveled into triple digits. the car was actually down right terrifying at 160mph, on the other hand the xkrs I believe misleads a little by its more aggressive looks it's an xkr with everything being slightly better for high speed driving and track use. cruising speeds or any speeds below 100mph I believe the sound is the only main difference and the looks. if I was buying a car now which I am. I would go for this
I built out an F Type R on the Jag site. With the Carbon Ceramic brakes it came to around $119K...without was around $106K.

However, even with the F Type I am concerned that I would pay the $106K to $119K and the next year the car would be worth $80K. I have been looking at the prices of the year old F Types to see how much they are dropping...I have a good salary but don't make enough to throw $60K in the trash over 2 or three years.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

In all fairness, any $100K car will be worth only $80K the day you drive it off the lot. That is the price of driving a brand new car. The problem with Jaguar is that it continues for the first 2-3 years.
There are two 2013 XKR-S for sale on the Jaguar site for under $100K. A basically new convertible with 21 miles and a blue coupe with some 1,200 miles and the CF engine cover.
Or you can save maybe another $20K and find a year old XKR to your liking.

MarkyUK (04-08-2021)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts

I know it would be hard to get the f type but I would tell you its worth it performance wise. I had my dealer give me a v8s for my personal use for 2 weeks and it was a great car. Faster than any other car I have owned, and the noise its makes is unmatched by anything costing less than 250k. Yeah its a little tight but as long as your not a golfer that needs to put clubs in the trunk its just as useable as an xk. I took it on a 2 day trip with my wife and no problem fitting everything we needed in the trunk. I couldn't resist had dealer place and order for me. Here are some pics of the loaner that I had for almost 2 weeks. Please ignore the hideous builders grade front door on my house since I have changed with a wrought iron since then. lol

Attached Thumbnails XKR to XKR-S...-img_0886.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-img_0887.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-img_0902.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-img_0903.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-img_0904.jpg  

XKR to XKR-S...-img_0905.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-img_0906.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by russduka
I know it would be hard to get the f type but I would tell you its worth it performance wise. I had my dealer give me a v8s for my personal use for 2 weeks and it was a great car. Faster than any other car I have owned, and the noise its makes is unmatched by anything costing less than 250k. Yeah its a little tight but as long as your not a golfer that needs to put clubs in the trunk its just as useable as an xk. I took it on a 2 day trip with my wife and no problem fitting everything we needed in the trunk. I couldn't resist had dealer place and order for me. Here are some pics of the loaner that I had for almost 2 weeks. Please ignore the hideous builders grade front door on my house since I have changed with a wrought iron since then. lol
OMG...I could hardly see the F Type for that front door!!!

You know, I like the F Type until I see the front end. The XKR-S had the same effect on me but has grown on me over time. And, in Black the XKR-S front end doesn't seem to be as "fugley" (to borrow SoCalBabe's word) as with other colors. Anyway...

I have test driven an F Type vert, a V8S. I have not driven an F Type R...not to mention the R-S if/when that comes out. I wasn't squeezed by the F Type, but it definitely felt much smaller to me. If they had put the front end of the "7 Project" car on the F Type I would probably be driving one right now.

Well, admitting it, the XK/R looks like the DB9 in many ways. The DB9 and it's variants are ravishing (just like SoCalBabe I am sure ), and I have always loved them. After sitting in and driving a 2007 DB9 a couple years ago, I actually like the XK better...especially the interior. The XK has a more functional instrument cluster. An until Aston put in the diamond stitching in their interior I think the XKs interior looks just as good, even better in some respects than the DB9. And the 5L XK performs better than even the latest DB9's.

So, the 2012 XKR-S I was considering is being transferred from the Miami Carmax (where it was) to my local Carmax. It will arrive in about 10 days from what they said. I will then trade my 2010 XKR for it. I got the XKR-S for $84,998, which is not too bad. It has 3640 miles. I've checked with my local Jag dealer and according to what they see it needs two software service updates to body control modules, but has had it's first service, and I get three more (yearly) free. They will do the second service when I get it up here. It does not have the Carbon Fiber engine cover but that is not a big deal to me. It has cruise not not adaptive which is actually fine with me - I never liked adaptive cruise.

I've posted some pics below...

I am looking forward to getting the car.

Attached Thumbnails XKR to XKR-S...-xkr-s_1.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-xkr-s_2.jpg   XKR to XKR-S...-xkr-s_4.jpg  

Last edited by rscultho; 03-13-2014 at 05:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rscultho:
Bruce M. (03-13-2014), MaximA (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Well fantastic and congratulations. I agree on your assessment on the AM, the thing it has to me over the XKR-S is potentially a manual which IMHO still is just more fun despite the paddles are faster and the exhaust note. The rest clearly goes to the XKR-S in 90% of your driving it will be the more practical and more comfortable driver and with the now stopped production it is also the rarer of the two.

I see your car also has the bright pack which I believe was in the $4,000 range as an option. So great price indeed. Another $200 maybe for a paint correction and your car should look show room new. I am waiting to get this done on mine to get rid of the swirls but the weather and road conditions just don't permit that yet.

ENJOY the endless 10 days wait .... tick ... tock .... tick .... tock ....

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
OMG...I could hardly see the F Type for that front door!!!

You know, I like the F Type until I see the front end. The XKR-S had the same effect on me but has grown on me over time. And, in Black the XKR-S front end doesn't seem to be as "fugley" (to borrow SoCalBabe's word) as with other colors. Anyway...

I have test driven an F Type vert, a V8S. I have not driven an F Type R...not to mention the R-S if/when that comes out. I wasn't squeezed by the F Type, but it definitely felt much smaller to me. If they had put the front end of the "7 Project" car on the F Type I would probably be driving one right now.

Well, admitting it, the XK/R looks like the DB9 in many ways. The DB9 and it's variants are ravishing (just like SoCalBabe I am sure ), and I have always loved them. After sitting in and driving a 2007 DB9 a couple years ago, I actually like the XK better...especially the interior. The XK has a more functional instrument cluster. An until Aston put in the diamond stitching in their interior I think the XKs interior looks just as good, even better in some respects than the DB9. And the 5L XK performs better than even the latest DB9's.

So, the 2012 XKR-S I was considering is being transferred from the Miami Carmax (where it was) to my local Carmax. It will arrive in about 10 days from what they said. I will then trade my 2010 XKR for it. I got the XKR-S for $84,998, which is not too bad. It has 3640 miles. I've checked with my local Jag dealer and according to what they see it needs two software service updates to body control modules, but has had it's first service, and I get three more (yearly) free. They will do the second service when I get it up here. It does not have the Carbon Fiber engine cover but that is not a big deal to me. It has cruise not not adaptive which is actually fine with me - I never liked adaptive cruise.

I've posted some pics below...

I am looking forward to getting the car.
Funny when I looked into gettign another XK as a daily I saw this car and though...wow...wouldnt that be awesome to have a red and black one....then I thought that defeated the purpose. I wanted the ride of the XK not the XKR-S...thats the purpose. I LOOKED INTO BUYING THIS EXACT SAME CAR!!!! AWESOME IT WILL FIND A NEW OWNER!!!!! That being said I have some advise for you regarding Carmax.

1- If there are ANY problems with tires, ANYTHING. You are to take it back IMMEDIATELY to carmax and demand it be fixed or a refund. You can not have the jaguar dealership fix it after the fact. What they said to me was the following: "We deserved the right to fix it before they did, we wont pay for it".... i bought 2 brand new front tires myself after they said they were fine. I also bought getting a dent out of a wheel as well.

2- They wont negotriate price....on trade in or purchase price. The car was 89,998 when I thought about buying it. 72,800 was better for my black xkr with black pack i thought especially with taxes!

3- Make sure to look over the car for pain surface scratches and demand a pain correction. I had 1800 in damages that my eyes failed to see...aka BUYING EYES. Look or dings... they are expensive to fix!!!!!!

Your buying the car from them.... you wont see them again!!!!! Go to your jag dealer .

BTW they will tell u the tires are fine. They are measuring them in the wrong place. Have the jag dealer tell u the tires are fine and no wheel dings...this cost me dearly when i just had it fixed and didnt take it back to them!!!!! DEARLY!!

Loth

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Gorgeous car. I agree, for some reason the RS simply looks better to me in dark colors. The black is very nice indeed!

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Congratulations, and I hope the transaction goes smoothly!

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks awesome....Black with the bright pack is classy.

Don't forget to check in when you get her! Congrats.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...egistry-97446/

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Congratulations, gorgeous car!

rscultho (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

So, another question.

I have 15MM spacers on my wheels. I'm assuming the offsets on the XKR-S are the same as those on the 5L XKR's? If so I can reuse them on the XKR-S?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I believe the offsets are the same.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Did you get longer bolts with those?

Quick Reply: XKR to XKR-S...