XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

XKRS Air Filters Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question XKRS Air Filters Change

Hey guys I am an old ZR1 Corvette guy and I just ordered new K&N Filters for my 2012 XKRS. The only problem is I can't find the location or how to change the air filters the owners manual is no help any neither is the K&N directions. Can someone please post pics and how to do this or a video. Sorry for being stupid but any help is appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
richzak (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if its the same as the regular XKR's but it should be located on top of the front wheels, you will need to take off the wheels and pull down the covers(should be screws to take out first) and then it should be right there. Very strange location, but I'm pretty sure that's where they are. Also make sure you got the Air filters in a Pair or it will most likely give you an error when driving.

richzak (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,126 Likes on 797 Posts

They're in front of the wheels, and you do have to remove the wheel and the wheel arch liner (16 bolts). The filter cassette drawer is held in by 1 bolt top & bottom - the whole drawer then slides out in the aft direction. Yoink the filter out of the drawer and put the new one on.

richzak (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default K&N filters

Originally Posted by Ngarara
They're in front of the wheels, and you do have to remove the wheel and the wheel arch liner (16 bolts). The filter cassette drawer is held in by 1 bolt top & bottom - the whole drawer then slides out in the aft direction. Yoink the filter out of the drawer and put the new one on.
In your guys opinions do you think that these filters provide that much better air flow? I ws wondering where the cheapest place to buy these at? Thanks in advance

richzak (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,233 Likes on 789 Posts

I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR. Here are the links to K&N Brand Air Filters and Installation instructions. The K&N 33-2445 will also fit the XKR-S models.

Filter Installation instructions:

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/33-2445_inst.pdf

Filters:

Jaguar XKR Air Filter - Replacement Air Filters

Hope these links make it easy for you in your research and decision to go aftermarket rather than Jaguar.

I am not sure of price comparisons between Jaguar & K&N brands.

Link to lower priced air filter Mahle brand filter:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

2007-2012 Jaguar XKR Air Filter - Air Intake - Mahle 07-12 XKR Air Filter - 19136-01154648 - PartsGeek

eBay Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-OEM-C...-/111279808808

For my 2009 XKR these air filters are sold in pairs. Later models also appear to take 2 filters.

K&N is a highly respected brand and you should be able to buy with confidence as well as the Mahle.

I just made a purchase at:

Amazon.com for the K&N (pair of 2) for $71.35....free shipping....This filter fits 2013 XKR-S

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2445 Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: K&N 33-2445 Air Filter: Automotive

Thanks for the post. I have new wheels for my XKR on the way, so it will be a good time to change out the air filters when the wheels are off the Jaguar. This will be a DIY installation to learn and see how it is done.

Last edited by richzak; 02-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by richzak
I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR. Here are the links to K&N Brand Air Filters and Installation instructions. The K&N 33-2445 will also fit the XKR-S models.

Filter Installation instructions:

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/33-2445_inst.pdf

Filters:

Jaguar XKR Air Filter - Replacement Air Filters

Hope these links make it easy for you in your research and decision to go aftermarket rather than Jaguar.

I am not sure of price comparisons between Jaguar & K&N brands.

Link to lower priced air filter Mahle brand filter:

Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts & Accessories, Truck Parts, Discount Auto Body Parts Online

2007-2012 Jaguar XKR Air Filter - Air Intake - Mahle 07-12 XKR Air Filter - 19136-01154648 - PartsGeek

eBay Link:

Jaguar C2P16933 Air Filter | eBay

For my 2009 XKR these air filters are sold in pairs. Later models also appear to take 2 filters.

K&N is a highly respected brand and you should be able to buy with confidence as well as the Mahle.

I just made a purchase at:

Amazon.com for the K&N (pair of 2) for $71.35....free shipping....This filter fits 2013 XKR-S

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2445 Air Filter: Automotive

Thanks for the post. I have new wheels for my XKR on the way, so it will be a good time to change out the air filters when the wheels are off the Jaguar. This will be a DIY installation to learn and see how it is done.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation ,Rich, I really appreciate the vendors u mentioned and how much to order them for. U r the greatest!!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone looked into foam ones? I've heard they are more effective in both performance (airflow) and filtration but don't have any hard facts to support that statement. ITG makes a kit.

ITG Air Filters - performance air filters for road and race vehicles | Technology - The Tri-Foam System

Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I used and like the ITG in my old WRX. Do they make an application for XK? I had read that increased airflow to the Jag can set off a warning light.

I just do not see a big enough advantage or price savings to move away from OEM. Can't go wrong with OEM.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Ive said it before but worth repeating. When jaguar went to dual filters back wken. We started getting check engine lights for issues later found out to be imbalances between left and right back airflows. This was fond to be due to the slight differance in filter media from one batch to another from the manufacturer. The cure: all filters to be sold in MATCHED PAIR with same date batch coding. Jaguar and all dealers only sell and install match pairs. I know, I think someone got a little to slap happy on parameters for flow imbalance. But it is what it is. Moral, put em in, just be prepaired for a CEL. And have seen it before on here when owners have put in differant filters and said "I didnt get a CEL" Then later to say uh well I guess I spoke to soon. If you decide you want to go this route I would personally go to a dry non oil filter since there is NO WAY to oil both the same affecting airflow. And contact the manufacturer and find out if you can order match sets from them.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
dirtyodwyer (09-12-2020), hawaii (02-21-2014), Ngarara (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I am partial to the BMC air filters...I have also used K&N and Green Filter on other cars, but the BMC seem to be of higher quality. Got turned on to them back when I had my 911 and they worked great. Bought a pair for the Jag last year and all is well. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues on the more recent model Jags, maybe they have made adjustments for MAF sensitivity.

My plan is to probably buy new ones every few years instead of trying to re-oil. I don't put many miles on my car each year, so they should last at least that long.

High Performance Air Filters | BMC AIR FILTERS

hawaii (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

This is one of those things for which I'd like to see before & after dyno traces. Gut feel says "Fit high-flow filters, reduce the obstruction, get more air in, ECU increases fuel flow, get bigger bang, get more horsepower". But does it actually happen on a Jag V8, do you get a significant improvement? Or does the ECU just close the throttle a bit to match the airflow with the fuel flow? Tuning cars got harder when they became a bunch of processors flying in formation...

Old 02-21-2014, 10:26 AM

I hear ya about that...I do know the stock air filters are about as thick as a phone book in a major U.S. city. The BMC filters are about half as thick I would say.

My stock dyno (but with BMC filters installed) on a dyno dynamics machine was 481 RWHP, so if you account for 15% drive train loss that is around 565hp stock. XKR-S is rated at 550hp.

I don't know if this data is useless or not, but it is information none-the-less.

Ngarara (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 779 Posts

Agreed Brutal...

You could have added how the oil medium filters mess up the MAF too.

My preferred F1 cars use paper filters. I'm not changing.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
My stock dyno (but with BMC filters installed) on a dyno dynamics machine was 481 RWHP, so if you account for 15% drive train loss that is around 565hp stock. XKR-S is rated at 550hp.
Well, it does suggest there was an improvement over the standard filters - 15% is not a high estimate to use.

Of course, we don't know what RWHP your car had originally, and we know that Jaguar's numbers can be conservative. Mine is supposed to have 523 BHP (530PS), but it's rumoured to be 540 BHP. And it's supposed to be limited to 174 MPH, but it actually does 184. So you may have had 475 RWHP to start with, who knows?

But as you say, it's better than no numbers - thanks!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I used K&N repeatedly in many high performance applications.

BUT..., the filter is only as good as its maintenance. It needs to be cleaned periodically and oiled. Being in such a difficult-to-reach area, I would not use it for the XKR because I would simply hate to have to go through lifting the car, taking the wheels off, taking the wheel-well covers off.... and thus, the maintenance would suffer. Without the proper cleaning and oiling the filter simply does not provide the desired protection.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
I am partial to the BMC air filters...I have also used K&N and Green Filter on other cars, but the BMC seem to be of higher quality. Got turned on to them back when I had my 911 and they worked great. Bought a pair for the Jag last year and all is well. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues on the more recent model Jags, maybe they have made adjustments for MAF sensitivity.

My plan is to probably buy new ones every few years instead of trying to re-oil. I don't put many miles on my car each year, so they should last at least that long.

High Performance Air Filters | BMC AIR FILTERS
It doesn't look like they make a air filter for a normal 2007 XK. Do these come pre oiled and are they similar to K&N where you can reuse them?
How do they compare in price to K&N? No prices where offered on website.
Thanks

Last edited by hawaii; 02-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by hawaii
It doesn't look like they make a air filter for a normal 2007 XK. Do these come pre oiled and are they similar to K&N where you can reuse them?
How do they compare in price to K&N? No prices where offered on website.
Thanks
Yes they are reusable. I cant find anything for the 07 XK. Looks like they have 2010+ or 2006 and older. You might could call in and ask what will work.

Here is a link to their online store:

JAGUAR | Products Results | BMC AIR FILTERS

Old 07-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

How often should the engine air filters and cabin air filters be changed? I drive the car roughly 8,000 KM annually (2010 XKR).

Thanks ..

Phil ...

Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by plight
Guys,

How often should the engine air filters and cabin air filters be changed? I drive the car roughly 8,000 KM annually (2010 XKR).

Thanks ..

Phil ...
I think annual on the cabin and two years on the air filter.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 668 Likes on 451 Posts

Well done on resurrection of an old post Plight, it saves opening a new one needlessly

When I bought my car in 2018 and took it for its first service I discovered it had K&N's which were in good condition and (according to my Indy) didn't need changing or cleaning, thry just blew some dried leaf bits out with an air line..

When I had it serviced in 2019 I had a had a new pair of K&N's ready to slot in. Recovered the old ones and cleaned and re-oiled for rhe next service in Nov this year.

With the polen filter am yet to find anything better than OEM, but got mine on ebay for half the price, so that with the air filters saved me quite a bit off the costs of my major service.

Weirdly am not able to find oem oil filters cheaper than the £20+ tax that my indy charges me,

As to the oil of the filter damaging the MAF I've not seen any evidence on my car, but if you look at the distance and route any oil particals hsve to travel on the 5l, I'm not surprised.

Thus far my fave filter is apexi 2nd is bmc, but sadly neither does do a panel for our cars.

Independant reviews of K&N give them a 2-4% increase in bhp over stock. So if running 500bhp @ 2% = 10bhp minimum 20 max

Last edited by MarkyUK; 07-28-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: XKRS Air Filters Change