XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Y pipe, outlet pipe lower

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Y pipe, outlet pipe lower

Hello one, and All fellow enthusiasts
As the proud owner of a 2014 XKR 5L. I too have had he Dreaded ( Yes I'm referring to the design ) Seamed, plastic " outlet pipe lower " split open on my XKR at only 56.K/Mi. .
What initially appeared to be a water pump, or hose failure ( coolant beneath , and steam above car ) resulted upon inspection to be the "Y" pipe. ( Outlet pipe lower. AJ813865 + AJ813917 upper, new and improved seamless. Must be purchased as a pair )
The only saving grace is this did not occur on a highway but in town therefore was not stranded .
Taking on this fix by myself looked daunting . The biggest /best/most help was from the link posted below.
I take my hat off with many grateful thanks to the individual that shared his experience, and posted it in such a detailed and succint manner. I pray this does not occur to you , but if it does hope that the link below helps.
Oh since car is apart also decided to replace the Water pump ( FoMoCo part ) since bearings did not feel smooth at all., Also the dual stage thermostat, Engine coolant outlet flange AJ814007, and a number of hoses.
Book labor time ( Not including parts )

Old ( dreaded ) outlet pipe lower v/s New design

Original

Ordered from dealer New replacement coolant pump Gaskets come with pump

The coupler is bad. Same problem as the author to the links. Note the spring is all the way to the stop already because the other end of the spring witch looks the same has dug its way into the plastic of the coupler.

New coupler to my application is; .68" thick, and 1.84" Dia. (~ 17.3 X 46.7 mm ) New " torsional coupler" has a metal inset to keep the other end of the spring from cutting into the coupler .

My solution to the small plastic coolant pump 90 Deg. hose connector, (witch if you don't break will need replacing.) is a brass fitting from a local hardware store.
for S/C is 5.2 Hrs.
Book labor time ( Not including parts ) for water pump is ; 3.3 Hrs.
Listed below is the homepage, look right to "off topic "
https://classicairheads.com/
or
​​​​​​​https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...t/#comment-303.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dagored:
DGL (07-26-2021), JonWat (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 02:18 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Kudos to you for doing this and posting the write up from another good member. I had my dealer do all my hoses, thermostat and torsion isolator. Damn petrol m​​​​otors are alot of maintenance. New cars with electric motors should be much more reliable once they become more popular and the infrastructure is in place.

The following users liked this post:
jons (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Electric cars? I guess they will eventually take over BUT there is nothing like the roar of our cat when that supercharger winds up.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Hello DGL.

Thank you for the kind reply. Hopefully it can help someone out there. Also I understand your seeming frustration with ICE cars, However as an engineer please understand that there are Many factors into the production of cars, and since Car companies stay afloat by making money the 'Cost ' of production is a major factor. Yes a very, very, very, reliable/dependable ICE vehicle can be made, engineers have books on the life expectancy of items involving different materials. I&; If say you as an engineer was tasked to build a car it would naturally follow from your statement that you would pick the best materials for your parts, Lets say
you choose an O-ring material FFAKM Z1028 over a common BUNA-N , or same FFAKM over rope seal for the rear main bearing seal . If one keeps doing this with other parts of a car's drivetrain ( I&; machined v/s cast piston ) , one would truly end up with a Extremely reliable car that ( Get this ) only ~ 10% of the population could afford.
So what am I saying with all this. Reliability is ALL up to the manufacturer irregardless of ICE or not . Are electric cars more reliable ?, No. There is A lot more to an electric vehicle than just an electric motor.
Just had an acquaintance of mine who could not get his 1 yr old Tesla ( Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,... ) started. Little does anyone know about the Pb.acid battery in the car (His Tesla is being "Shipped" to a Maint.Cntr.).
As a primer please watch Rich rebuilds on Youtube ( no affiliation ) on his frustrations with a certain brand name electric car, with I would Not own.
Also Electric cars although their motors being more efficient in converting energy ( electrical in this case ) to movement, than that of an ICE , However in 'Whole' , when considering the energy transfer from origin ( that is from each energy's source's infrastructure . that being digging for the petroleum,+refining it,+ shipping it to gas station. V/S strip mining cobalt+lithium+nickel,+ extracting oil/coal/petroleum/nat.gas + refining it + converting it to electricity+ transmission line losses + conversion losses ) to each vehicle's conversion into motion Electric cars are Less ( yes Less! ) Efficient than ICE cars .
, also
. As a start.
The Physics do not lie.
Nevertheless I'm only human so if I am wrong please point it out , but be able to back it up with physics, not political/sales shenanigans.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dagored:
DGL (07-26-2021), jahummer (07-31-2021), ralphwg (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:00 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

Interesting insight, Dagored.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

When I look up the parts based on a 2011 XKR (my car) it shows that it doesn't fit.
Is the 2014 XKR 5.0 motor a little different from the 2011?
Thanks

Old 07-30-2021, 02:45 PM

Hello fuzzyhippo

Jaguar updated the 2005 body style on the XKR before updating their engine to the 5L,V8 from the 4.2L,V8 ( The shape of intercoolers on top of the engine are a dead indicator of which displacement engine you have ). I do not know when that occurred but its Always a good practice to know the Year, model, and VIN. Code of the vehicle one is ordering the parts for, since manufactures change parts even 1/2 way into the production year, that in addition to a constant part number designation changes.

5L V8 top of engine . Note!! this can resemble the 6 Cyl. engine also.

4.2L V8 , with supercharger removed. Note difference in intercoolers ( labeled supercharged )

Old 07-30-2021, 03:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Dagored,
Thanks for the info but my car is a 2011 with the 5.0 motor. So when I punch in my vin in the Jag parts search it shows that the pipe part no. listed above doesn't fit.
So I was wondering if there were changes made to 5.0 in the later motors?
Thanks

Cee Jay (07-30-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 05:05 PM

Yes from my understanding they are different If you are talking about the "outlet pipe" ( aka 'Y' pipe ) the old # is: AJ811340 . And the connector tube ( upper pipe ) old # is;: AJ811987. the new #'s are :
AJ813865, and AJ81391 respectively, These are seamless , NOT compatible with the older ones , And Must be purchased together.
I use https://parts.harperjaguar.com/. for my parts since they are close to my residence ( no affiliation just good prices! ), and from what I can tell most of the parts to a 2011 Xkr are compatible except for some upgrades.
Hope this helps

Old 07-31-2021, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 1,488 Posts

I agree with the ICE vs. electric as well though time and development and other factors will no doubt change this. And as I’ve said so many times, engineers can make wonderful things, but sales and marketing are the true designers of the final production pieces.

Cee Jay (07-31-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 09:33 AM

Well said jahummer. The only reason electric cars are being made is 1) CAFE , 2) Gov. subsidies. Both are a Loss first to the companies , and second to the tax payer.
Tesla would Not survive if it was not for the Gov. subsidies, one only needs to look at their financial disclosure statements .
Note; I'm not against electric cars , all the better I say . What I do not like is misinformation/deception by predators that fool good people that are not knowledgeable of physics.

jahummer (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 10:55 AM
Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts

the economics of EVs on the unit level are pretty good: you buy it and do almost nothing for 100k miles, and theoretically the battery goes sour before anything else; no oil changes, no coolant changes, virtually nothing to do. for sedans and SUVs the batteries can be swapped in 4 minutes by an AI robot, as demonstrated by NIO (something elon promised but never delivered). the coolant temp is also much lower than in ICE engines, and virtually unpressurized. so as far as the original statement, yeah, reliability in terms of costs per mile is great, and for most people, especially anybody who doesn't care at all about cars, that means huge savings thus a better life.

that's where the benefits end, though. and they come at a huge price to everyone else in society who isn't interested. and, we're about to run out of lithium, but battery technology has completely stalled. and tesla's been turning out a range-anxiety-inducing plastic tub wrapped with expensive body panels that goes 0-60 fast (impractical) that you can spend thousands on to add "self-driving" all of which makes a complete farce of said unit economics, which is basically the worst brand ambassador you could ask for. there really should only be two EVs in existence: 1) the tesla roadster, the original one, and sold as a kit for DIYers to build out of a donor lotus, certainly not as a mass-market vehicle, and 2) the BYD Qin, plus clones thereof from other manufacturers like VW or fiat, with the longest range battery one can get.

that said i can pitifully attempt to dial back on topic for this thread by stating that no matter where the EV/ICE balance goes next, there will be lots and lots of plastic in all of them! and since plastic comes from oil, it will only be more expensive with every passing year.

The following 2 users liked this post by jons:
Cee Jay (08-01-2021), ralphwg (08-01-2021)