XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Yet another XK looking car- New Ferrari Roma

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Cars built to compare lap times are going to be very wide, to get as much downforce generated as possible.
Unfortunately, this makes them unpleasant in tight spots.
I was watching one of the new Aston Martin's come and go. The driver looked truly uncomfortable with the width of his car and the width of the lane.

And this was not even a city environment, this was out on a dead end wooded road.
Sometimes designing to laptime will result in detriments to being a GT.

My Corvette Z06 is a faster car than my XK.
But I get to my destinations on average in less time when driving the XK.

For some reason the forum has been making my computer go rather slow for the past months, something with the adds.
I don't post here as much anymore. It is really doing it tonight, so I won't finish this post.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I am not joking, many say the same. (note the e-type, the design inspiration for the XK at the top of the list)

https://www.thedrive.com/vintage/151...-museum-of-sex

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-phallic-cars-5862207

"Without mincing words, the E-type is the best automotive expression of the ***** to date. Museum-goers would benefit from the viewing of such a shiny, shiny phallus."
Nope. The Drive and Jalopnik are both wrong; they don't cut the mustard. There is only vehicle worthy of being top dog in this category, and we all relish it from our childhood. Nothing else even comes close.

The following 5 users liked this post by Stuart S:
barnsie (11-18-2019), buddhaboy (11-17-2019), kj07xk (11-17-2019), ralphwg (11-20-2019), tampamark (11-18-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I suppose we made it just by the family familiarity.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...beautiful-cars

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (11-18-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:18 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

If we are going to speak of primordial psyche, and be mature about it, we cannot sweep under the rug the universal phallic attraction, and how that fits with the Golden 2-1 ratio.
Fair enough. The donning of oversized cultural artifacts is an effective tool for attracting available mates, and the XKE seemed to work exceptionally well. Or, the same ratios apply, Simply divide a line into two parts so that the longer part
divided by the smaller part is also equal to the whole length divided by the longer part. Sounds like a dick to me.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
donning of oversized cultural artifacts .
30,000 BCE!! curves and tappers were more important to us than a face.
(as you know same statute appears across multiple cultures)

Old 11-18-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

I suppose we made it just by the family familiarity.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...beautiful-cars
One of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen, from this angle. What is it?

Old 11-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 673 Likes on 335 Posts

One of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen, from this angle. What is it?
Someone didn't read the article??? Genesis Essentia Concept

Old 11-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler
Someone didn't read the article??? Genesis Essentia Concept
Thanks, it was difficult, he mentions it in the 15th paragraph long after losing my attention. And it did not help that it looks so different from the other angles.

Just saw the rest of it, its the ugliest car I have seen in a while. Goes to show its hard to get all the perspectives to blend in nicely.

TexasTraveler (11-18-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:25 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
Looks much more like an F-Type than a XK, IMHO.
I agree. I don't see much XK. I see New Vantage, F-type and Alferi.

Old 11-20-2019, 04:35 AM

It sure seems to. My issue with the F-Type, besides the pedestrian interior, is the backside looks truncated. The Crossfire suffered
from this character failure. The ending lacks a sustain, if I may borrow from music, it just ends like a digital reproduction of live exerience.
Comparing the F-type with the Crossfire is like comparing Marylin Monroe to Meatloaf, just because they both have breasts. The F-type is beautiful. One of the most beautiful cars ever to come out of Jaguar, England, Europe or world. The Crossfire is a confused hideous thing.

I love the XK. But it's not more beautiful than the F-type, just like the F-type is not more beautiful than the XK. They are different type of cars. The XK has the elongated, wale-ish fastback coupe look. Similar to many classics before it like the DB7 and all the way back to some American Muscle. The F-type is the classic seating on the rear wheels sport car shape. Totally different cars. Might as well compare a Countach to a Daytona.

And talking about pedestrian interior, one of the weak points of the XK to me is exactly the pedestrian interior if compared to a Maserati or Alfa Rome or even the XK8. Same thing with the Vantage. Pedestrian. So I'm not sure the F-type is any more pedestrian. They interiors are actually very similar.

The other weak point in the XK is the droopy eyes, which look sad. Apart from that it's one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. Ian Callum is a master.

sov211 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
The XK150 is definitely a classic design. A design which will hold up to the test of time. Like buddhaboy the F-Type just doesn't do it for me which is why I was considering the MB GT-C until I seen the C8. I bought my 2014 XKR to do me until the C8 Z06 comes out, but will most likely keep the XKR for ever. I was very disappointed with the F-Type when it first came out for reasons buddhaboy mentioned and because, IMO, it looks like a car put together from the Jaguar parts bin without any innovation. I like the modern digital instrument cluster display of the Roma. Maybe we'll see Rhys Morgan modify our infotainment system/screen to update our XK150 soon.
Interesting that you find the F-type not good looking but likes that C8. The C8 is such a confused wannabe design. It looks like an imitation of many cars which came before it, done badly. Blocky, square and vulgar. The F-type is beauty and at least it pays homage to its own heritage instead of trying to be a poor man's cheap American Ferrari. A true case of to each his own.

sov211 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 04:40 AM

For me the Ftype was 25% less car, it lacked the luxury component, forget the bmw interior, it did not even have air conditioned seats.
But the main one was it did not have presence. At some point it blends in with the cars.
I don't find this at all with the F-type. I think it has loads of presence actually.

sometimes 3 inches less is more
Lost you here. ???

Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

The XK and the F-Type are two of the best looking cars out there, you cannot go wrong with either. Yes they both have there flaws, but in the end the positives completely out weigh the negatives in both cases.... Which ever one you have drive and enjoy it, the are both absolutely stunning designs... And unlike some other cars they are both very exclusive and rare which is a plus.... I hope to have one of each someday!!!

sov211 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM

The XK and the F-Type are two of the best looking cars out there, you cannot go wrong with either. Yes they both have there flaws, but in the end the positives completely out weigh the negatives in both cases.... Which ever one you have drive and enjoy it, the are both absolutely stunning designs... And unlike some other cars they are both very exclusive and rare which is a plus.... I hope to have one of each someday!!!
What would you say the flaws from each are?

Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
What would you say the flaws from each are?
I probably shouldn't have used the word flaw, as that could be taken as a defect. What I was referencing is the styling ques that others have mentioned as to why they like or dislike one or the other. I think you mentioned the early model XK's headlight design for example... I being an owner of one of those cars with that design can admit that the design was improved on with later models, but that headlight design doesn't make the early models NOT a beautiful car. I think others have made references to styling ques of the F-type that I can agree with, but I still would love to own an F-type in any form as well...

Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

XK's headlight design for example... doesn't make the early models NOT a beautiful car.
The headlight is a throwback to the e-type's headlight.

In the long run, it is the correct shape, its curves matches the curves and period of the XK.
The newer shape is completely at war with the rest of the car with modern sharp lines you wont find anywhere else on the car.

The XK is pure nostalgia for modern times.

The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
Stuart S (11-20-2019), TexasTraveler (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM

I probably shouldn't have used the word flaw, as that could be taken as a defect. What I was referencing is the styling ques that others have mentioned as to why they like or dislike one or the other. I think you mentioned the early model XK's headlight design for example... I being an owner of one of those cars with that design can admit that the design was improved on with later models, but that headlight design doesn't make the early models NOT a beautiful car. I think others have made references to styling ques of the F-type that I can agree with, but I still would love to own an F-type in any form as well...
Oh ok. I thought you meant flaws in the car in general.

Yes, not a fan of the pre-facelift headlights on the XK. Facelift somehow improves it. But still not as nice as the Vantage, Vanquish or even DB7 and XK8 and other cars which use that style of headlights.

It's the only angle in the X150 which I don't love. I even looked if there was any conversions or replacements to improve it. But never found anything, besides the F-type style front conversion from Grantley. I don't think there are any other options? I Guess in a black or dark car, making the headlights black or carbon would help. But for brighter cars not really.

Last edited by MikeV8; 11-20-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM

The headlight is a throwback to the e-type's headlight.

In the long run, it is the correct shape, its curves matches the curves and period of the XK.
The newer shape is completely at war with the rest of the car with modern sharp lines you wont find anywhere else on the car.

The XK is pure nostalgia for modern times.
Sure. But the E-type never looked funny from the front. I feel the pre-facelift looks sleepy or a bit goofy. The DB7 and XK8 don't have that look. Neither does the Vanquish 1 and DB9, which are also not modern cars. I don't think the facelift is very sharp or modern. I think it still fits the car and don't look so goofy to boot. Best would be DB7 or Vanquish lights. I think they would look great. Even Vantage ones would.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeV8
Sure. But the E-type never looked funny from the front. I feel the pre-facelift looks sleepy or a bit goofy. The DB7 and XK8 don't have that look. Neither does the Vanquish 1 and DB9, which are also not modern cars. I don't think the facelift is very sharp or modern. I think it still fits the car and don't look so goofy to boot. Best would be DB7 or Vanquish lights. I think they would look great. Even Vantage ones would.
Its all in the frame of mind you are in....

You are seeing it with the current frame of mind and just discovering the XK in this day and age.

When I saw first saw the XKR in the limelight in a showroom, when it was released, it made my heart stop. It was the most beautiful thing we had seen- because of our affinity to the Etype.
When we finally got one, you would not believe the reactions we would get, similar to our own.

The car hasnt changed, times have, and times will change again.

pwpacp (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Timeless beauty is forever.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
mosesbotbol (12-11-2019), pwpacp (11-20-2019), ralphwg (11-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Yet another XK looking car- New Ferrari Roma