XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Your opinions on the interior veneers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Your opinions on the interior veneers

As you know, in 2012, Jaguar changed the center console, and made the whole thing Piano Black. That means that that there are only a couple of places remaining for the wood veneers...a little piece behind the steering wheel, the panel above the glove box, and a tiny little square on each door.

Initially, I never considered putting anything other than wood in the XK that I have on order, because, after all, this is a Jag we're talking about. On top of that, I test drove an XKR that had the aluminum, and I felt it was very cold. It did absolutely nothing for me. So, my initial choice was the Figured Ebony, but then I realized that my other car (which I've had for a very long time) has basically the exact same Figured Ebony veneer in it, and I'm tired of it. So, I switched my choice to the Burl Walnut.

Now though, I'm having second thoughts about it, and I'm considering changing my choice to the Piano Black. On the plus side, it would bring unity to all of the shiny surfaces, but on the minus side, it would eliminate all wood from the interior...and the warmth that comes with wood.

So, what are your opinions? I'm guessing that some will say that a Jag has to have the warmth of the wood, while others might say that the wood makes the car look dated. I'm obviously on the fence right now, but I will say that by eliminating all the wood in the center console, Jag has essentially made the decision for me, because I think it looks silly not to have the dash match the center console.

It would be a completely different story if I was getting an XJ, because in that car, there is still that huge wood wrap around that exists. So, in that car, it doesn't matter that they changed the center console.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

My Xkr-s has the optional piano black veneers on all surfaces. I really like it-it gives it a very clean and upscale look. Everyone who has seen the interior of my car has specifically commented on how they like this feature.

The following users liked this post:
aahmichael (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on the Piano Black. Like you said, it unifies the look. I also think that it is sportier looking than the grained woods and, after all, this is a very sporty car. I was also considering the aluminum, which is also sporty, but decided that the all piano black would look better.

I believe that the Piano Black trim is wood unlike the center console that is plastic like in my XJ. Is that correct?

aahmichael (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag

I believe that the Piano Black trim is wood unlike the center console that is plastic like in my XJ. Is that correct?
I don't know if the center console is plastic. I'm sure someone with a 2012 will let us know. Even if it is plastic, and the trim is wood, the finish on both is high gloss, which should make them look basically the same.

Now that I think about it, though, it would be a huge disappointment if the center console is plastic. That would mean that they eliminated wood veneers for plastic in that entire area. Did Jag really do that?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

My 2010 has the dark oak wood veneer, which is basically black to my eye, and coordinates very well with the black accents and charcoal interior that I have. I was not personally fond of the strong grained lighter wood veneers that I saw because they seemed out of place or too olde world in the XKR...or at least the image I had for mine. I have had the piano black finish in another vehicle for years, didn't like the bright aluminum, but the dark oak just suits me well.

I wouldn't expect to find concensous on colours and finishes, but you're sure to choose a combination you'll like!

Bruce

Old 04-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
My 2010 has the dark oak wood veneer, which is basically black to my eye, and coordinates very well with the black accents and charcoal interior that I have.
I really like that dark oak too, however, that finish is exclusive to the XKR.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

My 10 has Piano black center and Aluminum above dash and behind the steering wheel.

I am considering changing the Aluminum look to piano black so it will all be the same. In the XKR, I think (personally) that the black "fits" with the high end performance luxury "black tie" car that it is.

Now, in my wife's VDP, there should be wood and there will be wood. But that is a totally different kind of car, meant to convey a different context.

I had wood in my previous XKR's and wasn't sure I'd like them without it, but the Piano black looks good. I am living with the Aluminum until I change it out.

aahmichael (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Are what exterior and leather colors are you looking for?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm with you aahmichael. It's a Jag. I passed over several cars due to piano black or aluminum. I have the Burl Walnut and love it. Mind you, mine's a 10, so it's got the Burl around the center stack as well. But... I simply love the Burl.

Attached Thumbnails Your opinions on the interior veneers-xkr-interior.jpg  

Last edited by Rahtok; 04-22-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Pic added
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I'm with you aahmichael. It's a Jag. I passed over several cars due to piano black or aluminum. I have the Burl Walnut and love it. Mind you, mine's a 10, so it's got the Burl around the center stack as well. But... I simply love the Burl.
I've never seen that before...and it's gorgeous!

Bruce

Old 04-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member

That is a beautiful color combination. I think the look of the wood is somewhat lost in the black interior, which is what I have. But for the caramel, ivory, and sandstorm interior's the wood is definitely a superior selection and look.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 AM

The caramel/burl combination that you have is classic and beautiful. Add in the fact that your center console is also burl, and it's an exquisite look.

My car is going to be ivory/charcoal. Plus I'm stuck with the piano black center, no matter what I put anywhere else.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

So I checked with the dealer, and the pieces above the steering wheel/below the instrument cluster area, and the piece above the glove compartment are $366.00 each.

They are held in by clips and are designed to "pop out" to be changed/installed.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,384 Likes on 3,498 Posts
Default Rich Oak Veneer Unique to 2009 Portfolio model

I thought y'all would like to see the Ivory seats, Slate dash, and Rich Oak veneer in my 2009 Portfolio:

Attached Thumbnails Your opinions on the interior veneers-pw_800%5B1%5D.jpg   Your opinions on the interior veneers-dash.jpg  
steve_k_xk (08-13-2023)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Ooo -- I like that, Stuart.

Stuart S (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
So I checked with the dealer, and the pieces above the steering wheel/below the instrument cluster area, and the piece above the glove compartment are $366.00 each.

They are held in by clips and are designed to "pop out" to be changed/installed.
Good to know that you can probably change out the whole set, including door panels, for less than $1,500.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

You can't go wrong either of these burl walnut or piano black . I dislike aluminum because it looks cheap even though the material itself don't suggest to me lol

Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Wow. It's amazing how just a few minor tweaks can change the entire nature of how a car looks. This is the XKR-S. Italian Racing Red. Sport Seats. Piano Black Veneer.
You would think you're looking at a Ferrari, not a Jag.

2012 Jaguar XKR-S Convertible….020 | Download Car Wallpaper

Octurbo (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Yeah, that looks really good--I'm definitely sold on the piano black. The only thing that would change my mind is if they offered a good quality carbon fiber for everything, including the center console. That would be extremely sporty.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Yeah, that looks really good--I'm definitely sold on the piano black. The only thing that would change my mind is if they offered a good quality carbon fiber for everything, including the center console. That would be extremely sporty.
I think that the contrast of the intense red against the black is what makes it so sharp. Although, here's piano black in an all-charcoal AM that looks really sharp too.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/wp-con...or-cockpit.jpg
http://www.zcars.com.au/images/aston...-interior1.jpg

Quick Reply: Your opinions on the interior veneers