XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Your opinions on the interior veneers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Wow. It's amazing how just a few minor tweaks can change the entire nature of how a car looks. This is the XKR-S. Italian Racing Red. Sport Seats. Piano Black Veneer.
You would think you're looking at a Ferrari, not a Jag.

2012 Jaguar XKR-S Convertible….020 | Download Car Wallpaper
That is exactly the same interior I have in my Xkr-s coupe. I think jag did a very nice job with this interior - sporty and stylish. It is one of the reasons I chose this car

Last edited by Octurbo; 04-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Octurbo
That is exactly the same interior I have in my Xkr-s coupe. I think jag did a very nice job with this interior - sporty and stylish. It is one of the reasons I chose this car
That's awesome, Octurbo. Without a doubt, putting wood in your car would be completely out of place. Even Jag knew that, which is why wood isn't even an option on the XKR-S. What color is your exterior?

On the other models, though, and especially on the XK that I'm getting, I think the wood looks good with either the ivory or caramel interiors. The whole personality of the car is different with those interior choices.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone replaced the center vaneers with piano black? I'm considering it on my XK. It looks like 3 pieces totaling about $700 from a Jag OEM parts distributor (Gaudin).

Also, I am thinking about replacing the remaining dark wood with aluminium. Has anyone done that swap? I have not seen the aluminium pieces in person.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Piano black on a convertible might have some practical issues. Not sure about the XK, but on the Miata forums where I came from several years ago, people complained that the piano black strips on the dash would cause horrible glare/reflections of the sun with the top down.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The problem with Piano Black that you can not differentiate it from being plastic and likely most of your passengers will think that it is plastic.

Too bad they discontinued the wood grain inlays on the center pod. I still prefer the Caramel dash with the Burl Walnut trim all around as the light colors brighten the interior as well as they look very classy.

Albert

Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
The problem with Piano Black that you can not differentiate it from being plastic and likely most of your passengers will think that it is plastic.

Too bad they discontinued the wood grain inlays on the center pod. I still prefer the Caramel dash with the Burl Walnut trim all around as the light colors brighten the interior as well as they look very classy.

Albert
I think piano black is getting so popular in high end cars that it's not mistaken for plastic. I have it in the '13 XKR on order so that it would match the center stack. If the aluminum they offered matched the metal around the A/C vents instead of being patterned, I might have gone that route. I just didn't want so many different finishes.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6

Albert
That's what I have on my 2007 XKR Coupe; with the BRG exterior it's very nice. Has a comfortable, British club feel-which I think fits perfectly with this Marque....

Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

If anyone here has changed out their Burl Walnut veneer for something else, I am looking for a matching set of ashtray and shifter panel in walnut for the 2007-2009 cars. Does anyone have a set?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The Piano Black veneer is wood (including the centre console pieces) so perfectly finished that they look like black plastic! - they are identical in finish to the Piano Black veneer in a Bentley I was in recently. For me, it is the traditional Burl Walnut - that is Jaguar. Further, even a tiny mark on the Piano Black will show as a major flaw while it is largely disguised on the wood finished-veneers.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I too had caramel with Burl. While it certainly looked luxurious it wasn't in keeping with the snarling beastlike nature of my XKR. Mine is black and hunkered down on forged wheels and an open exhaust so it looks and sounds positively menacing. But then you would open the door and be greeted with a view that would make you swear you also hear violins playing in the background LOL. That is to say it felt a bit too warm and luxurious to me.

So I have experimented some. I swapped the entire center section pieces for the engine spun aluminum. Think how the Spyker aluminum interior looks. I was considering changing the piece above glovebox, speedo and doors to piano so I had all aluminum and piano. But I have kept it aluminum in the middle with burl elsewhere for the classic Jag look with a sporting twist.

Will post pics.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
+1 on the Piano Black. Like you said, it unifies the look. I also think that it is sportier looking than the grained woods and, after all, this is a very sporty car. I was also considering the aluminum, which is also sporty, but decided that the all piano black would look better.
+1

Old 10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of burl, though I dont mind a different grain. I appreciate that burl is very jaguar and some people love it, but it just doesnt appeal to me. I had it in the first XF (which looked great with oyster and ivory) but there wasnt as much of it as there is in the XK, so it was a little more subtle. I then had piano black in the second, which I loved even though I agree it does look like plastic. When I got the XKR it had burl which I wrapped. I'm happy, it looks identical to the piano black in the XF, and it's reversible for those who want the traditional look. I did the under dash and glovebox bits in metallic black (because the aluminium colour can reflect on my dear wife) which might blend too much with the charcoal, but I dont mind it at all.

Attached Thumbnails Your opinions on the interior veneers-005-2-.jpg   Your opinions on the interior veneers-photo-4-.jpg