XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

ZF Lifeguard Fluid Destroys Jaguar Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019 | 07:38 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member
Default ZF Lifeguard Fluid Destroys Jaguar Transmissions?

WTF. Can't get a straight answer from anyone on type of transmission fluid to use. One would think the manufacturer's own fluid would be the best and safest to use. There is nothing unique about the Jaguar XKR transmission that should require it to use a modified fluid--or is there? There's even different opinions on how much fluid it takes to do a change. Some people on this forum have used 9 liters when all you tube videos I viewed say 6 liters. Transmission shops use a different brand and say it meets the specs.

I'm asking this because I purchased 7 liters of ZF Lifeguard 6 to change my transmission fluid this winter. However, I came across an ad in the classified section from a member selling a XF-R and the ad says all fluids were changed and Jaguar transmission fluid was used and NOT ZF. I asked the member selling the car why he would NOT use ZF. He replied:

"Hey bud,

Per the master tech at my local Jaguar dealership, the fluid used by Jaguar/Land Rover have different friction modifiers that may not play nicely with the ZF fluid. As the Jaguar OEM fluid cannot be fully drained, there may always be a chance of cross contamination when using the ZF fluid.

He mentioned a few instances where clients provided ZF Lifeguard fluid when requesting a transmission fluid service only to have the transmission start slipping a little while later. Upon disassembling the transmission, he noticed degradation of seals within the valve body and also assumed accelerated wear within the torque converter (though the torque converter was not disassembled). As this happened over more than a few instances, they no longer agree to use ZF Lifeguard fluid provided by clients and will only use the JLR OEM transmission fluid.

Though I understand many have used the ZF fluid with no issues, it was a precautionary measure on my part to eliminate any chance of accelerated failure for my vehicle."

So, to be safe I'm going to now sell or return my ZF Fluid and buy Jaguar transmission fluid.

Old 11-29-2019 | 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Glen,
I have had my tranny fluid changed two or three times by my indie. I have over 150K on my car and no slippage whatsoever. Tomorrow, I will call him and ask him what he has used on my car, and I'll post in the afternoon. I've never had a transmission require so little care over this amount of miles, ever!

The following users liked this post:
DGL (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I read somewhere a few days ago that JLR dealerships don't use the ZF Lifeguard fluid and instead they use Ravenol 6HP fluid, see here: https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-ra...atf-6hp-fluid/
And that this Ravenol fluid may in fact be the OEM factory fill.

Panthro (12-02-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

My closest main dealer does not even use Jaguar or ZF fluid. They do a full flush via the cooler lines using a BG flush machine and 12 quarts of BG fluid. BG provides a full warranty to the transmission even for cars no longer under factory warranty. They have been doing this for years on all Jags With NO issues. I had mine done earlier this year and have had no issues.

The following 4 users liked this post by jahummer:
CleverName (12-01-2019), mosesbotbol (11-30-2019), OzXFR (11-29-2019), Panthro (12-02-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jahummer
My closest main dealer does not even use Jaguar or ZF fluid. They do a full flush via the cooler lines using a BG flush machine and 12 quarts of BG fluid. BG provides a full warranty to the transmission even for cars no longer under factory warranty. They have been doing this for years on all Jags With NO issues. I had mine done earlier this year and have had no issues.
Interesting, I didn't know that BG do ATF.
It looks like this is the correct one to use in our ZF 6 and 8 auto boxes: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/trans.../#bg-product-4
It even says ".....meets or exceeds .... ZF Lifeguard 6 and 8.....".
Two chances of finding a seller in Oz though!

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-29-2019 at 08:40 PM.
mosesbotbol (11-30-2019)
Old 11-29-2019 | 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

ZF Lifegaurd fluid IS the OEM fluid that ZF used in their transmissions, or rather was when your car was built. That said, the "theory" behind using Lifegaurd 6 is that our transmission software is specifically programmed with the fluid specs aka friction modifiers. OK so there's that. Mercon SP has been shown already (check the X350 forum) to meet the specs. Ravenol meets the specs, Jahummer confirmed BG and he races his XKR and he's absolutely correct.

If you drain and fill, use the ZF lifeguard because you shouldn't mix fluids. If you have a full flush done, there are several options available, including Mercon SP which is cheap. Don't stress about it. You might be overthinking it.

Note the attached on Shell Spirax - it · Suitable for use in applications which require Ford Mercon SP (Ford Type D Fluid).

· Suitable for use in applications calling for Shell ATF M-1375.4. - this is the spec for our cars.

Last edited by Sean W; 11-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sean W:
1 of 19 (11-30-2019), jahummer (11-30-2019), Panthro (12-02-2019)
Old 11-30-2019 | 09:47 AM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Anyone want to buy 7 liters of ZF lifeguard 6 transmission fluid cheap.

Last edited by DGL; 11-30-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2019 | 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

I've used ZF LG6 in an A8 with this transmission and it worked flawlessly. I've used Mercon in a range rover and it worked flawlessly. I'm going to use the LG6 in my xkr. I remember when i took a class in college on automatic transmissions that the important thing was regular fluid and filter changes. Use a fluid that meets spec, change regularly and don't sweat it. I definitely would not worry about using the transmission oem recommended fluid though!

DGL (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019 | 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Glen,
I called my mechanic earlier and asked him what he has used in my car, and he told me he has used the fluid specified in the Jaguar owners' manual which he remembers as being Jaguar branded not ZF. See what is specified in your year's manual, and that's what I would use.

The following 2 users liked this post by tberg:
DGL (11-30-2019), ralphwg (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Failure attribution is very difficult in cases of fluid changes. Typical anecdote "I changed transmission fluid using X and shortly my transmission broke" are rarely true for any value of X other than cooking oil. Chances are, transmission already had issues, this prompted much-delayed fluid change and that lead to failure. As long as fluid meets the spec, you should be fine. While possible, it is extremely rare that two different manufacturers of the same spec fluid would result in incompatible fluids.

Coming from "lifteme fluid fill ATF" car community, there were much discussion how to address this issue once it became known that regular fluid changes were after all necessary. There are two main opinions: a) change as soon as possible, new fluid will stop on-going damage b) leave it as-is, avoid fluid shock. "Fluid shock" theory suggests that changing too-old transmission fluid will lead to a rapid failure - it is better to leave old fluid in place, or if changing it, do it very gradually, no more than 1/4th of fluid at once.

Anecdote: After my "lifetime fill" transmission failed at around 7 year mark, I purchased used (5 year old) transmission from a wreck, completely flushed it, used synthetic ATF and changed (drain and fill, so about 50% fluid) every other year. That second gearbox made it to incredible mileage (20+ years, almost 400K) and was still going strong when the car was retired.

The following 6 users liked this post by SinF:
DGL (12-01-2019), Doug (12-01-2019), jackra_1 (12-01-2019), Queen and Country (12-02-2019), Sean W (12-02-2019), Tracee (04-13-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-01-2019 | 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
I may. Will DM you now...

Old 12-02-2019 | 03:00 PM

I changed fluid and filter at 50k mi with LG6 and at 51.5k mi have noticed no issues.

Old 12-02-2019 | 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
I dont understand.
What will be using instead?
Dont you have lifeguard6 in there now.

BTW if you do what SinF recommended, which I too have done for 300k miles on my war-rig, the fluid longevity kinda becomes moot.

Old 12-04-2019 | 03:33 PM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I dont understand.
What will be using instead?
Dont you have lifeguard6 in there now.
Nope. Jaguar says they use a modified fluid. I will buy the fluid from my dealer soon and sell the ZF lifeguard I purchased. This is maintenance procedure I only plan on doing every 5-6 years. My XKR only has 14,000 miles on it, but the fluid is old. I'm doing the ediff and brake fluid too.

Old 04-12-2020 | 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
Nope. Jaguar says they use a modified fluid. I will buy the fluid from my dealer soon and sell the ZF lifeguard I purchased. This is maintenance procedure I only plan on doing every 5-6 years. My XKR only has 14,000 miles on it, but the fluid is old. I'm doing the ediff and brake fluid too.
Howdy..
Any updates on your tranny performance since the fluid change in December?
Thx!

Old 04-13-2020 | 12:29 AM

This sounds like the OE motor oil thread....

its probably exactly the same stuff.

Old 04-13-2020 | 02:09 AM

I've changed the trans oil recently. Previous change was done at 60000, now it's 112000km. I've used ZF LifeGuard6 both times, no issues at all. 6hp28 still performs great, despite increased load (dual pulleys, pretty agressive remap and agressive driving style).

Queen and Country (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020 | 05:55 AM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Update: Over the winter I changed all fluids, oil, ediff, coolant, brake and trans fluid. I flashed the trans by draining first, refilling, flashing out cooler, then cycling 16 liters of expensive Jaguar brand transmission fluid through the transmission and torque converter to achieve as complete of a change of fluid as possible. My XKR is still under CPO warranty. My goal is to restore my XKR to as new condition as possible or better. I also installed Jaguar aluminum paddle shifters, Jaguar logo courtesy door shadow lights (after market) , Steve's remote top module (after market), complete paint detail correction, soft top protective treatment, and I purchased new interior trim parts that showed any scratches (console shift actuator module complete, including trim pieces). I'm pleased with the result and will enjoy this car for many years.

Transmission performance after fluid flush/change: No difference. My car only has 13K miles and it has always performed smooth and flawlessly. After 6 years it was time to change it. IMO, Jaguar branded transmission fluid is identical to ZF 6 fluid, but I went with OEM to keep my car as original as possible.

The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
kj07xk (04-13-2020), MarkyUK (04-13-2020), ralphwg (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020 | 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Glenn - glad to see you are back. I was worried about your absence given the current situation.

Old 04-15-2020 | 07:26 AM
DGL
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Glenn - glad to see you are back. I was worried about your absence given the current situation.
No worries, Ralph. I've been very busy. The XKR is out of storage and a dream to drive with the top down. Stay safe and well.

Quick Reply: ZF Lifeguard Fluid Destroys Jaguar Transmissions?