XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120

Over ten years ago, we purchased a 1954 XK120 OTS SE from a salvage auction. The car had been damaged on the drivers front. We knew that any modifications we did to the vehicles structure would only decrease its value so we did no restoration work since we are not experts of cars in this time period. From what we understand, the body wrk done on cars of this era require the use of lead. We know nothing of it so we aren't going to mess with it. The car has had an extensive amount of work done to it prior to us buying it. All numbers are matching from what we can tell. It is a very solid car other than the damage done to the drivers side front. It gets driven around the yard every summer to keep things in good working condition.. I would really just like to see if there is any interest in this car on this forum and whether or not someone out there would like to know more info about the car.. It still sits in our garage at all times but it is not being enjoyed as it should be.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you serious? Allow me to shed some light (from MY perspective):

A person doesn't get a car like that and not fix it up because they're worried about possible lower value. A person DOES get a car like that, fix what needs to be done while keeping numbers matched in an effort to simply enjoy a piece of Jaguar history.

What did you spend on it? What would you ask were you to sell it? And where are you at?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I'm with him how much pics and where are you located

Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 AM

I was meaning, if I were to repair the damage the way we normally repair damaged body panels(Pulling,hammering,bondo,fiberglass,primer,p aint,clear) it wouldnt be era right and would make the cars value lower if it had modern body work done to it.

I am located in Indiana. We are thinking of asking about 50k for it. Reason being, I keep an eye out on ebay and see that some xk120's with similar attributes can be complete rust buckets and have parts scattered all over a garage with number possibly matching or not going for over 20k. Ours is #'s matching and is extremely solid since it has been fully restored before we got it.

The catch here, we know that the body work that needs to be done by an era specific experts is going to cost a LOT of money. Recession is taking toll on everyone now a days. We have been trying to save up money so that we could have the car fully repaired and back to show room quality but we just dont have the money for it. So it kinda sits. We would like to just recoop a little bit of the money we invested in it though since we could really use the money right now.. I am NOT desperate though. I cant even take pictures at the moment because it is at the very back of our garage which is pretty packed right now. I cant really get to it at the moment and its so cold..

I was mostly wanting to know if there was still a ton of interest in one of these cars since we cant really seem to do what needs to be done to it.. We got lucky buying the car and did so as an investment. We WANT to "fix what needs to be done while keeping numbers matched in an effort to simply enjoy a piece of Jaguar history." but just can't afford to do it. We want the car to be enjoyed though and thats why I have asked about it interest to you forum guys. I know price means nothing without pictures but does anyone have any idea if my price is too high, too low???

I am interested in selling but I want to get a fair price. I dont want to let anyone steal it from us..

Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 AM

OK, I took pictures of the pictures we took the day we got it off the trailor. I also took a picture of the article that was written about the car from a Jaguar club. These papers were sent to us via the previous owner because we contacted him after we purchased it. His information was stamped on a plaque that is riveted to the bottom of the dash on the passenger side. we called him up and he sent us a bunch of original documentation of the vehicle including ALL of its previous owners and history.

Attached Thumbnails Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04619.jpg   Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04620.jpg  
Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on a knowing how extensive the damage is, from the looks of the pics I would guess the frame is bent. Steering is definitely shot looks like some damage on the right rear quarter near the bumperette. What shape is the motor in and the rest of the Jag.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I took a look on the Dupont Registry site and XK120s were running in the range of $60K to $130K with the exception of the special racers. Given the fact that yours has been pranged and will require extensive repairs in addition to the normal restoration, $50K seems a tad high. I would guess somewhere around $20K, but I would recommend a professional appraisal.

Mike

Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Here are pictures taken minutes ago. It has been taken to a professional body shop since we got it to pull out the majority of the damage so it was drivable but we didnt want them to do any bondo or filler work. It is pretty much straight now other than surface damage. I would think a full new fender would be ideal but the fender that is there is salvagable in my opinion. I dont have the money to buy a new fender or I would. Anyways, these are the current pictures so everyone has a better idea as to what we have over here.

Attached Thumbnails Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04643.jpg   Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04645.jpg   Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04651.jpg   Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04649.jpg   Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120-dsc04650.jpg  

Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  19.3 KB

wow, what a stunning piece of vehicle art.....gorgeous, apart from the obvious damage of course but the lines are so classical.
I hope and pray that you get a sale from someone somewhere who will love and cherish her and get her back on the road where she belongs although I do think you may need to lower your price some.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Great car, shame about the dent. Agreed hand beating will be expensive. Don't know what availability you have over there but perhaps this site may help you in pricing the job.

http://nsfcoachbuilders.com/jaguar_xk_120.htm

PS what is the car you have under cover in the background, looks interesting (last pic)?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 PM

I appreciate all of the comments.. The car I think youre referring to is just an old honda prelude. But I looked through all of the pictures and didnt really see an obvious car under cover..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Homsangpradit
I appreciate all of the comments.. The car I think youre referring to is just an old honda prelude. But I looked through all of the pictures and didnt really see an obvious car under cover..
Translator may be referring to the cream and black or cream and dark brown (Model A?) antique car. Under cover in this case may be in what we would call a carport or garage.

Mike

Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Haha, yes sorry. It is a 1931 Ford Model A.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by carelm
I took a look on the Dupont Registry site and XK120s were running in the range of $60K to $130K with the exception of the special racers. Given the fact that yours has been pranged and will require extensive repairs in addition to the normal restoration, $50K seems a tad high. I would guess somewhere around $20K, but I would recommend a professional appraisal.

Mike
I agree with Mike,you are looking at 20-40K in repair cost and the Car may go for 60-75k.I hate to say it but the people looking to sell this car know exactly what it will cost to repair and that it would be iffy to make a profit and risk the cost of doing all the work.Put the car on ebay and see it you can find a buyer that is thinking with his heart not his brain.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it's worth, my mom just sold her XK140 in 2009 for a tad under $40,000. It was in decent shape and was running but needed some work. XK120's, 140's and 150's usually go for around the same price. If very well restored, any of those would fetch more than 100K in a good economy.

I think my mom's car was well bought at 40K as it was much better than the rusted heaps that sell for 20K. I was sad to see it leave the family but it went to a good home. I know the new owner has already put at least $5K into it to help get it better sorted out.

I think that 50K does sound too high for the XK-120 given the damage, but you might offer it for sale at that price and be willing to accept less.

Here is a picture of my mom's old car for reference.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Devil Jag,

It looks like you and your family could put on a fairly nice Jaguar show based on the pictures.

Mike

Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Devil Jag,

It looks like you and your family could put on a fairly nice Jaguar show based on the pictures.

Mike
Thanks. Not sure if you saw it, but I posted pictures of some of my father's other jags in my intro thread a while back. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25904

Old 01-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Devil Jag
Thanks. Not sure if you saw it, but I posted pictures of some of my father's other jags in my intro thread a while back. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25904

Devil Jag,

Thanks for the link. That 61 green XKE is drop-dead gorgeous. If I were to pick the ultimate XKE, that would be it. By the way, most of the Jaguar magazines actually like the later model XKEs like your coupe as they are better all-round drivers.

Mike

Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM

Devil Jag,

Thanks for the link. That 61 green XKE is drop-dead gorgeous. If I were to pick the ultimate XKE, that would be it. By the way, most of the Jaguar magazines actually like the later model XKEs like your coupe as they are better all-round drivers.

Mike
Yes, that 61 is a beauty. However, it is actually too nice because it is restored so nice and is worth so much that you really wouldn't want to drive it. It will most likely live the rest of its life as a trailor queen/concours car.

I like mine because I can drive it like I stole it (when it's running) and put as many miles on it as I like and not have to worry about keeping it too pretty.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Jag
For what it's worth, my mom just sold her XK140 in 2009 for a tad under $40,000. It was in decent shape and was running but needed some work. XK120's, 140's and 150's usually go for around the same price. If very well restored, any of those would fetch more than 100K in a good economy.

I think my mom's car was well bought at 40K as it was much better than the rusted heaps that sell for 20K. I was sad to see it leave the family but it went to a good home. I know the new owner has already put at least $5K into it to help get it better sorted out.

I think that 50K does sound too high for the XK-120 given the damage, but you might offer it for sale at that price and be willing to accept less.

Here is a picture of my mom's old car for reference.
Under $40K? It was stolen from your Mom.
That definitely qualified as an investment car (Same with the 61 XKE)

Quick Reply: Any Interest in a car such as this? XK120