XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

FNG

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 08:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FNG

Hi Big Cat lovers,

I'm TJ Noto. I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I'm a life long gearhead, thanks to my father. A couple years before I was born (in the early 60s) he bought a junkyard XK 120 and spent the next 25 years of his life restoring it. My father was a mechanic for United Airlines, and a lover of British airplanes and cars. As the son of a Sicilian immigrant, he grew up in Philadelphia during WWII, and later served in the Air Force in San Angelo, Texas, where he served as a crew chief of the AT-6 "Texan". He gained a love for the Supermarine Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, as well as Bentleys, Rolls-Royces, and, Jaguars.

My father was a blue collar guy, who appreciated the mechanical beauty and craftsmanship of all cars, not just Jaguars. He especially Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, Hispano Suiza, and pre-war American cars (Stutz, Duesenberg, Packard). When it came to the cars he would devote his life to, however, it was those of Coventry. Our family's garage featured the 120, a 420, and a Series II E-Type Coupe.

My father is almost 92, and does not drive anymore. He has now entrusted me with ownership and preservation of his beloved XK 120. It's largely non-original. He restored and built the car entirely by himself, including paint, upholstery, and all mechanical assembly. It does not have the original engine, although it is a period correct Jaguar power plant . The paint, upholstery, and many other details are non-original and "incorrect." He built it the way he wanted. Every time I see it, sit in it, or drive it, I am reminded of my father's commitment to doing things the right way, and to the skills he taught me, as I restore and maintain my own cars (all Alfa Romeos).

The car has not been driven much in the past few years, and I will need to do some regular maintenance to get her 100% roadworthy, starting with the brakes. I'll be looking forward to sharing my journey as well as contributing to, and benefitting from the collective wisdom of this forum.
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

The following 2 users liked this post by VeloceNoto:
pedoc (06-15-2023), Peter3442 (07-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 12:16 AM
Received 1,096 Likes on 645 Posts

Great car and a great story.
Don't let yourself get sucked in on "correctness and originality" by the concourse followers.
My current MK2 has so many non-original and incorrect features that it would give a heart attack to a concourse judge.
I don't care as it is a great car and I enjoy it.
Keep your XK120 going and enjoy the car.

Old 06-15-2023, 03:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Priceless pic.
Great post .

Old 06-15-2023, 08:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. While I’ve always appreciated and admired the aesthetic of originality as well as the dedication required to restore cars with NOS, or rebuilt OE parts, I’ve never cast aspersions on cars with modern upgrades or modifications that make them more usable in modern traffic. There is a limit of course and it’s different for everyone. I wouldn’t argue with another owner’s decision to do whatever they want to the car; it’s their car and they can do what they like. I might (and do) have my own opinions about certain modifications, but I keep them to myself. The prime example when it comes to Jaguars is of course V8 engine swaps. With the exception of hot rods, I’m not a fan of power plant replacements. To me the engine is the heart and soul, the defining characteristic of a car, and putting a V8 American engine in a Jaguar is like putting ice in a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
Great car and a great story.
Don't let yourself get sucked in on "correctness and originality" by the concourse followers.
My current MK2 has so many non-original and incorrect features that it would give a heart attack to a concourse judge.
I don't care as it is a great car and I enjoy it.
Keep your XK120 going and enjoy the car.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:19 AM
Received 1,096 Likes on 645 Posts

I agree with you however I have also observed early V12 Jags being converted to V8s simply because the eye watering cost of overhauling the original engine and the difficulty of finding someone to do it.
In addition, there are a lot of problems in just pulling the V12 engine apart and some of the heads have to be scrapped due to failing the hardness test.
At least the car is being preserved and enjoyed even though it it does not equate to your cab-sav.
Cheers