XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

How do I heel & toe in an XK-150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I heel & toe in an XK-150?

Shopping for a 150 fhc. I have now driven two, and I am having trouble figuring out how to heel-and-toe. The brake pedal is way over to the left (these are LHD cars). And there is a huge gap between the acclerator pedal and the brake pedal.

It seems impossible to simultaneously press on the brake pedal and blip the throttle. Similarly, if you are at a stop sign headed uphill, and you need to add a little throttle as you come off the brake -- can't reach. Maybe you could LITERALLY heel and toe, but in other cars you can just rock your foot from side to side.

I have a narrow foot, but anyway, I am wondering if it is possible to move the pedal assembly, or maybe purchase and aftermarket pedal assembly or brake pedal that is extended to the right.

Or maybe there is a technique for this and I just haven't figured it out. Not sure if this applies only to 150s LHD's, or to the whole series. I cannot imagine they raced these cars without being able to heel and toe.

Thank you for your insights,

John

Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Wear bigger shoes!

I have to say, I am jealous of your problem...

Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM

LOL. It would take a snowshoe. There is a chasm between the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal. It might be a peculiarity of the LHD cars. It would be interesting to know if the same dimensions/spacings were used in the pedal assemblies for the 120s and 140s. Anyway, surely there is a trick or technique for solving this. Thank you for your help. John.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learn how to drive two-footed!!!

I've not H&T'd since i learnt and it is SO much more effective imho.
The hardest part is learning to fettle with the left foot, as opposed to slamming what would have been a clutch!!!
I've reduced my track times by over a second within my first three circuits!
Recommended!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Not quite following. My understanding of driving "two-footed" is that it is a technique for cars equipped with an automatic transmission.

The XK-150s I have driven so far are fitted with manual transmissions. If you are double clutching to downshift, the left foot is completely preoccupied. With the right foot, you need to be able to blip the throttle while still braking. So the right foot needs to span both the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal.

I look forward to trying an XK-150 with an automatic, but they are not easy to find. John

Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

You'd have to build a spacer/block/whatever you wanna call it for the throttle pedal I reckon.

I take care of a couple old XKs (which primarily means driving them every few months...I'm amazed at how reliable they are) and they have to be among the most awkward-to-drive cars I've experienced!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
John_H555 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
... they have to be among the most awkward-to-drive cars I've experienced!
DD
Doug, thanks for saying this in so many words. I thought maybe it was me, or that I was missing something, or that the seat or the wheel were not adjusted right. Awkward is the exactly right word for how it felt.

There must be some sort of racing accessory out there -- a special gas pedal, maybe -- that makes it possible to bridge the two pedals with the right foot.

John

Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Default Comparison of pedal spacings: 150, 140 and 120

These jpgs illustrate the pedal spacing of three Jaguars in the XK-1n0 series. Left to right are illustrated the 150, the 140 and the 120. The 120 snapshot does not give us a really clear view, I will keep and eye out for a better photo.

However, it appears the odd, exaggerated gap between the brake and acclerator pedals is a peculiarity of the XK-150.

I am still wondering if there isn't a bolt-on fix for this--a modified pedal stem that would float the brake pedal in the region of that shown for the 140. That 140 looks like perfection to me.

Thank you for your insights. John

Attached Thumbnails How do I heel & toe in an XK-150?-xk-150-pedals-sm.jpg   How do I heel & toe in an XK-150?-restored-xk-140-pedal-spacing-sm.jpg   How do I heel & toe in an XK-150?-pedals-120-fhc-xm.jpg  

Last edited by John_H555; 05-19-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,850 Likes on 12,185 Posts

John,

That takes me back a lot of years. Must be thirty years since I've driven an XK140 or XK150 and even then my impression was much the same as Doug's!

It would be unusual if LHD pedal spacing was different from RHD. The normal 'heel & toe' technique always felt awkward to me as it needed the right foot to be angled over which wasn't a natural or comfortable way to drive. Several people had the brake pedal heated and bent to bring it closer to the accelerator; others had an extension plate welded on the side of the accelerator so they could operate by keeping the foot almost straight and rocking it across the pedals.

Neither of these solutions seems an appropriate way to butcher what is now very much a classic car! Have you investigated something like this:

ULTIMATE PEDALS

They should be able to make a custom oversize pedal to bolt directly to the original.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
jaguar driver (03-06-2014), John_H555 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Many thanks, Graham. On this page, near the bottom, they offer pedals modified for heel/toe.

ULTIMATE PEDALS

This is the answer.

Best, John

Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you haul off and spend a bunch of money on modifications and make your car look kind of weird, are you really sure you don't have the right technique? I have read all the posts above and am surprised that every one finds this so difficult.

My car is absolutely stock lhd as far as the pedals are concerned. I have narrow feet so forget about my having big shoes or big feet. I just put the ball of my right foot on the upper right hand corner of the brake pedal and roll my ankle a little to the right to hit the accelerator with the side of my foot. Sometimes there are slight variations on positioning depending on the situation, put the basic technique is the same. I have no problem with it.

And to people who complain about this issue and also about the drivability of the XK150: the car is 55 YEARS OLD. Cut it some slack.

Mine is a daily driver (albeit with a 5 speed transmission and enhanced cooling). I just drove it all afternoontoday on freeways and in town in heavy stop and go traffic. And, yes, I "heel and toed" (although that is not an accurate description of the actual technique) a few times. It was very manageable. The car never overheated, I got lots compliments (plus got photographed), and driving the car was a blast to drive.

The following users liked this post:
jaguar driver (03-06-2014)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,850 Likes on 12,185 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmillsap
............. Mine is a daily driver (albeit with a 5 speed transmission and enhanced cooling) .......
Robert,
That puts you in a very select group.
Can't be many owners around the World who can make that claim.

On the 'heel & toe' modification. If John was going ahead, I'd expect he's done so by now because the thread is 18 months old.

Graham

Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmillsap
And to people who complain about this issue and also about the drivability of the XK150: the car is 55 YEARS OLD. Cut it some slack.

I reckon you're referring to (at least) me, because of my "awkward to drive" remark.

Rest assured I cut old Jags plenty of slack. I think they're wonderful old cars . When I park one after a run I have a smile on my face. I just find them very awkward to drive, that's all.

I meant no offense towards old XKs or their owners.

Cheers
DD