XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Interested in Buying XK150, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interested in Buying XK150, opinions?

Hey, newer to Jaguars, have had few Triumphs and MG's in the past. What is opinion on this? Was able to get it down on price. I see few things, but does anything noticeable depreciate value? Dealer reviews seem okay, they bought an MGA from me 4 years ago, seemed like decent company. The car has been sitting around for over a year, but did drop price quite a bit. did notice a lot of the seals are cracking or missing. https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...pe-c-14312.htm

Old 12-23-2023, 10:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, It looks like a decent car restored to "driver" quality some time back. As you mentioned, the seals, hoses, belts, rubber parts & tires are all probably going to need attention. Some other things I would check......
The listing says it is numbers matching. I would ask for photos of the data plate, body number, and engine number supporting that claim.
Does the car start, run, and drive thru all gears smoothly? Do the brakes work without locking up or pulling? Does the overdrive work correctly? A starting/driving video would be good to see.
I believe a 1958 SE should have a light blue cylinder head. This car's head is painted gold indicating either the original head was painted gold during restoration or the head was swapped for the later gold straight port head. There should be markings on the head which could help verify it matches the car.
There are some records in the listing but not very comprehensive. I would ask if there are more, particularly related to the restoration. How much rust repair, and body work done could affect value.
A few minor things...looks like the windshield washer bottle is missing. The fuse box should have a cover. The trunk prop rod does not appear stock. Could not find the jack ratchet handle in any of the photos.

Best of luck with the purchase, Richard

Old 12-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The car certainly looks very clean and tidy, and obviously has been looked after over the years. Also very glad to see photos of the underside. This looks very good for a car from 1958 ! However, like RM9700 says, there will, inevitably, be jobs to do, and you need to factor this into your budget. As well as cash for some jobs, you need to line up a shop, unless you're going to do the work yourself. Such shops are few and far between in many areas of the USA, so there could be fairly long journeys for servicing etc.

Whether the price is reasonable I couldn't say, being UK-based, but it certainly doesn't look outrageous at all. Of course it is a coupe, not a roadster; prices are lower for the coupes. Just look at what people are asking for XK150 coupes in the UK and Europe !
https://www.carandclassic.com/list/22/xk150/

Old 12-29-2023, 10:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Indeed the Golden Head does not belong here.
A Light blue head , as another member suggested is only for 3.8 L versions.
But the prize is reasonable for this condition.

Old 12-30-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any major things I should look out for?

Old 12-31-2023, 03:44 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look at the car yourself or let someone with knowledge look at it.
On the bottom side I see starting rust on doors and sills.
Shocks and tires look old.
Hard to see how the paintjob is done, and if lots of filler is used.
From pictures we can't see how engine/gearbox and brakes are.
But for this money I think it it worth it, at least how it looks in the pictures, if engine is ok