XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

New here, XK-140-E

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New here, XK-140-E

Hi all,
Just joined this site, I've been at Jag-Lovers for a while. Dad bought this car in 2000 when I was in high school, and we spent the next few years going through it including the full engine build, 5 speed conversion, suspension rebuild. Body work was outsourced.

There was always an understanding that "someday" the car would pass to me, and someday was a few weeks ago, so it's home now. Needs a little clean-up and some minor tuneup work, but I'm ready to get into it!

Looking forward to being around here and getting to know yall!

As delivered in 2000

The following users liked this post:
Kellysue (03-03-2022)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Nice car, and red is a great colour for the 140. I noticed the headers, do they heat up the bonnet? I just added a heat shield above the exhaust on my E-type since the bonnet paint was beginning to fade from the heat.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default welcome to the Jag group

i suspect the Jag will be addicting...there will be lots to know and learn..check here and the other Jag forums and archives..ask any question..Obtain the Factory Service Manual if you do not have it, and the book XK140 Explored.
The xks are far more reliable than you might think when well maintained. One caution: do not drive with old tires no matter the outward appearance or tread. Old means over about 8 yrs depending on how stored.
Nick

Old 08-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful automobile, enjoy as much as you can !
All the best,

Old 08-22-2014, 07:29 AM

Glad to see there are SOME people that come on here, I was starting to wonder.

Regarding tires, that's my first big project is new wheels and tires. The tire on it, while looking almost new was discontinued in 1995, so at best they are 19 years old.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Default tires wheels

original wheels can be used if in good shape, if spokes are good, if the splines within are good (sharp, crisp..not rounded or worn) and if you like me..it appears they are chrome..so if the chrome is nice enough for what you want. if any thing is wrong with em it is cheaper to buy new ones that to try to repair old ones..but there is a market for used ones if orig..some folks like to fix em up.
As to tires, old tires can look great, but the tread glues dry out, crack, and the tread can come totally loose..not good at any speed. it used to be hard to find em. but now most folks like either the Vredstein or the Michelin 6.00-16. I think most lean to the Vredstrein for drive feel. of coure while wheels are off its a great time to get in under and check everything over..brakes, brake hoses, shock bushings, steering etc..and the spline hubs. I'd suggest a very complete check of all systems and parts anyway,
use quality oil that has zddp or add zddp to your oil choice..exactly to mfg specs. A Great looking car..tell us more about it. Looks like you have competiton lap belts..do you have the shoulder harness belts as well.
Nick

Old 08-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nick 53 120 OTS SE
original wheels can be used if in good shape, if spokes are good, if the splines within are good (sharp, crisp..not rounded or worn) and if you like me..it appears they are chrome..so if the chrome is nice enough for what you want. if any thing is wrong with em it is cheaper to buy new ones that to try to repair old ones..but there is a market for used ones if orig..some folks like to fix em up.
As to tires, old tires can look great, but the tread glues dry out, crack, and the tread can come totally loose..not good at any speed. it used to be hard to find em. but now most folks like either the Vredstein or the Michelin 6.00-16. I think most lean to the Vredstrein for drive feel. of coure while wheels are off its a great time to get in under and check everything over..brakes, brake hoses, shock bushings, steering etc..and the spline hubs. I'd suggest a very complete check of all systems and parts anyway,
use quality oil that has zddp or add zddp to your oil choice..exactly to mfg specs. A Great looking car..tell us more about it. Looks like you have competiton lap belts..do you have the shoulder harness belts as well.
Nick
The wheels on it now are 15" dia E-type wheels. The problem with the wheels is that the E-type rear suspension means the rear track is a bit narrower than the front which both looks a little odd and has some interesting handling characteristics. Plan is to get some custom daytons to add more rear offset and correct the track.

Everything you mention with the exception of the spline hubs were replaced 10-15 years ago. Polyurethane suspension bushings, braided brake lines, etc. Of course that's long enough ago to double check everything but It's been stored indoors and driven regularly so shouldn't be any surprises.

Have used Amsoil 20w50 in it since the rebuild. The old series 2000 racing oil is discontinued so will probably switch to this
AMSOIL Z-ROD 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil

My brother had an interesting experience with "great looking" old tires a few years ago in the 66 Corvette. Major blow out. I've always read a 5 year life on tires, but the Jag got driven so infrequently and after I went to college I wasn't around as much to help dad work on it so it kept getting put off.

Yes, it has 4 points of a 5 point harness.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nick 53 120 OTS SE
i suspect the Jag will be addicting...there will be lots to know and learn..check here and the other Jag forums and archives..ask any question..Obtain the Factory Service Manual if you do not have it, and the book XK140 Explored.
The xks are far more reliable than you might think when well maintained. One caution: do not drive with old tires no matter the outward appearance or tread. Old means over about 8 yrs depending on how stored.
Nick
I have the Bentley's manual for the E-type portions (engine, suspension, steering, brakes, pedals, gages). We did have an original XK140 manual but dad hasn't located it yet, but the only parts that are really XK140 at this point are the sheet metal and frame.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Default tires wheels

ahh you have 15 in..there are many options..since you have some power and handling upgrades you will want the sturdier more spokes wire wheels..up to you if chrome spokes or stainless on chrome rims. Quite a few tire options exist..it is interiesting to go to tirerack.com and in the tire specs sections they tell you the tire diameter and the tire revs per mile, as well as tire weight and more.
The E Type forum guys have had lots to say about the tires they like. Dunlop had a Dunlop SP size a while ago..not sure if they still have it avail in wht sizes..but it was nice to have the Dunlop SP on it..and kind of a wrap round the edge retro tread look. Great looking car...I too have Simpson 4 point, both driver and pass, and a MotoLita steering wheel.
Nick

Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wire wheels

Mackguy - you're lucky, just a hop, skip, and a jump up the road from you, in Greensboro, is Hendrix Wire Wheel. They did the wheels for my 120 and I couldn't be happier. I bought new Bridgestone tires from Tire Rack and had them drop-shipped direct to Hendrix.

I then brought my old wheels/tires down to Hendrix. The tires were Dunlops that Dad put on the car a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago! They were pretty hard and the sticky was gone.

Hendrix replace a couple of broken spokes, trued the wheels, put on new bands, new tubes, mounted/balanced the tires, and then shaved them perfectly round. The car is now so smooooooooth going down the road.

Hendrix has a website with tons of good info - not all just tires, too. Call and speak to Allen Hendrix. He'll remember me and the car (and my Dad who does business with him also). Not that it will necessarily buy you any favors... (I just like to have some connection when I call people I don't know.) Allen is a super nice guy (gave me a full tour of their shops when I was there), you won't be disappointed.

FWIW, NFI - just a very satisfied customer.

Keep us posted.

Thanks!