XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Rewiring an XK 150

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rewiring an XK 150

I am trying to rewire an early XK 150 FHC USA model.

Can someone please send me some clear pictures of where the turn signal relay should be mounted please? The car was completely stripped down before I got it and all in boxes with the old loom removed. The previous owner had started the installation ... but gave up and I have little confidence in what has been done so I have started over and am checking everything. I think it should be on the left wing but probably under a box cover of some sort. Pictures and dimensions much appreciated if I am correct of the box cover and also of the box covers that go over the main loom where the headlamp 5-way connectors are too please.

I have many questions please as the books I have none of them have clear pictures of specifics. They are usually distance shots of the engine bay and really arent much use!

For instance, the big hole - oblong with rounded corners, upper center of the firewall engine side - what came through here please?

Also, coming out of the sill half way down the length of the door on the right hand side of the car a Green with Red wire (actually two wires into one) and a green wire are sticking out ... what do these connect to please? I am guessing these are for the reverse light switch on the gearbox ... but may be wrong. Does someone have a photo please of this switch and its location?

Where are the horns supposed to mount?

Thanks

Paul

Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Have a look here for wiring colours: -

Vehicle Wiring Colour Code

Unfortunately, there seem to be very few forum members with the early XK sports cars.

Horns will probably be behind the front bumper somewhere.

Don't know about the rest, but if you post a couple of pics you might prompt a response.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  19.3 KB

unsure if you have this info or if its helpful to you or not?

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I saw ths on google search: Jaguar World Magazine on XK 150 Restoration | Jaguar World

I also google searched using the words: Jaguar XK150 restoration pictures.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks Guys - yes I have that book but the pictures are not clear on the detail I need.

Paul

Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 324

Hi Paul,
can you update please?

Still looking for info?

HTH

Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Hi Jim

Yes still looking mainly all I need now are some good photos of the fuse box area.

Paul

Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 319

Hi Paul, don't know f it will help or not, but I'm going to edit your title to have FUSE BOX HELP in the tilte to see if that drives anyone your way.

Really hope it helps to get you the info you need

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 333

Hey there Paul, where are you on this?

Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Default xk150 turn signal relay

[Hey Paul,just started a restoration for a customer,removing all old wiring harnesses.The relay is next to the fuse box,between the voltage reg.and the hood hindge is a stud,thats where it mounts.Hope this is helpful. QUOTE=Paulrb;598171]I am trying to rewire an early XK 150 FHC USA model.

Can someone please send me some clear pictures of where the turn signal relay should be mounted please? The car was completely stripped down before I got it and all in boxes with the old loom removed. The previous owner had started the installation ... but gave up and I have little confidence in what has been done so I have started over and am checking everything. I think it should be on the left wing but probably under a box cover of some sort. Pictures and dimensions much appreciated if I am correct of the box cover and also of the box covers that go over the main loom where the headlamp 5-way connectors are too please.

I have many questions please as the books I have none of them have clear pictures of specifics. They are usually distance shots of the engine bay and really arent much use!

For instance, the big hole - oblong with rounded corners, upper center of the firewall engine side - what came through here please?

Also, coming out of the sill half way down the length of the door on the right hand side of the car a Green with Red wire (actually two wires into one) and a green wire are sticking out ... what do these connect to please? I am guessing these are for the reverse light switch on the gearbox ... but may be wrong. Does someone have a photo please of this switch and its location?

Where are the horns supposed to mount?

Thanks

Paul[/QUOTE]

Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Hey Paul,did you find the signal relay? Rewiring cars is easier then working some websites.lol Jeff in De.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM

Paul, I hope i can make some pictures of a book tomorrow for you, all info you need is in there.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The turn signal relay is in a rectangular black box on the left wing. I found it very tight getting the new wiring harness to reach but ultimately got it done.

I think a previous post is confusing the relay with the flasher unit. What is on a stud on the firewall between the fuse box and the hinge is the flasher unit.

If you are doing an early 150, I strongly recommend abandoning the archaic turn signal lever under the dash panel and installing a later 150 turn signal on the steering column. It takes some additional wiring but is very simple. The early lever is useless. I converted the location of the old turn signal into a battery disconnect and had a machine shop mate the old turn signal handle to the battery disconnect switch. Of course this also required some additional battery cables, but not a big deal. Naturally, if you are going for a 100 point restoration, disregard this entire paragraph.

I might be able to get you pictures. My car is complete and accurate with regard to the relay and flasher. However, I am not very computer savvy so it might take a day or so.

I can probably answer some of your questions about the holes and wire routing, but thought I would see if this is of any help to you first.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul,

The oblong hole in the firewall is for the tach cable that runs off a right angle gearbox on the rear of the intake camshaft. The oblong shape is to accomodate the curve in the thick, stiff cable as it turns in towards the tach.

The horns mount on two of the four supports that support the front bumper, these two being identified in the Spare Parts Catalogue as the "Outrigger Brackets". You should find two holes in each one of them for the mounting bolts.

I forgot your other questions. Let me know what else you needed. I can send pictures from my iPhone to whatever address you want to use. I don't know how to upload pictures to a Reply.