XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Starting xk140 restoration-"lite".

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting xk140 restoration-"lite".

Hello everyone. I thought I would start a thread to go through my mini restoration of a 1955 XK140 DHC MC as it happens. I am hoping to tap the wisdom of this forum as I progress. I just purchased the car and am new to Jaguars. I have extensive restoration experience doing VW Bugs and MG's, but always dreamed of a classic Jaguar. I spent over a year looking for a XK or E-Type that was an older restoration that needed a refresh without a body-off approach right now. I plan on occasionally driving the car to shows and events while continuing to improve it. I do not plan on a concours car when I finish. I am used to restoring cars where I have a lot of room (think barn), but now only have a 2 stall garage. Perhaps when I retire and move out of CA, I could perform a body off, if I still own the car. While looking, I realized I did not fit (6'3") in a XK120 or E-Type series 1. I barely fit in my current 1960 MGA and have to drive scrunched down with my shoes off to manage the pedals. After a few rust buckets I came across a XK140 on Craigslist. It was being sold through a classic car dealer for an owner who imported the car to the US previously, but returned to the UK. With my guard up, I went to go look at the vehicle in an unmarked classic car storage facility in the central valley of California. It wasn't true love at first sight.....It's painted Jaguar Primrose Yellow and had medium sized white walls with chromed wire wheels. The interior is beige/tan/biscut - not quite sure. The car has been off the road since 2017. We negotiated a fair price after multiple visits and driving it and the car is now mine. Here are some findings on the car;
1) Older restoration? Has a Sherwood Restoration (UK) sticker on it 2003. I called them and as expected...the guy who restored it died and the restoration records don't exist. Dead end.
2) Paint - Despite not liking the color, the paint is in very good shape for its age.
3) Interior - It's all there, gauges all work, may or may not have overdrive switch, hideous modern radio installed but have drawer blank, seats in great condition, rugs need to be cleaned or replaced, rear seat bottoms missing, top in great condition but has a small hole.
4) Exterior - Door gap on drivers side, some chrome needs attention, rubber in good shape but older, some roll-up and vent window bits need to be addressed.
5) Wheels & suspension - Chrome wheels need to be cleaned and tires replaced. Suspension....wow - every bushing looked like it melted in place. You could pull chunks out of the old bushings.
6) Brakes - What brakes? Had a gusher on the rear passenger cylinder. Front had a disc brake conversion of unknown branding.
7) Engine - Even though the valve cover had a Type-C covers labels....it wasn't a Type-C head. Carbs need a whack to start. Engine started and ran good, but a little hot. Compression checked. Battery totally dead. Has a weird IV bag like window washer fluid after market unit. Generally pretty clean with the usual leaks. Oddly, the car came with 2 brand new SU fuel pumps. I also found a workshop manual in the boot.
8) Transmission - Upgraded to 5-speed..but I can tell it needs some work. Reverse is very hard to get into.

Overall, the car is workable for my situation. First to attack is to make it safe to move around. 1) New tires 2) fix brakes 3) address suspension issue 4) replace all fluids 5) find reason for running hot 6) start making a list for everything else.

Any guidance or wisdom from the forum member is appreciated as I progress and update the thread.

Thank you