XK120 XK140 XK150 1948 - 1962

Swapping gearbox top cover for XK150 OD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping gearbox top cover for XK150 OD

HI

I have just delumped my 1960 XK150 and have a newly rebuilt correct 3.8 engine for it.

I also have a used gearbox with OD and a top cover stamped GBN 28174 JS that I think is from a MK2. It does not have the top cover with extension that is correct for my XK150 so shifter would be about 5" further forward unless I modify the shfft lever and carpeting.

My QUESTION
Can I swap out the long extension top cover from a gearbox case stamped JL13130 (looks otherwise correct for XK150) and have it work on my gearbox with OD?
If not, are there simple things I might do to make it work?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Tony

Old 11-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,955 Posts

This may not be an option. The case of the XK150 gearbox has a different part number to the Mark 2 for the old Moss gearbox. Main point is that the Mark 2 from 1965 had an all-synchro gearbox that is quite different, and I think a GBN gearbox is the later type. However see what others say.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default swap non overdrive to overdrive g'box

Just seen your post. Appreciate it is a couple of months old, but thought I would reply anyway.

Over the last year I have made this change. I've had the 3.4 non overdrive XK150 for 20 years and we had to remove the engine due to leaking frost plugs and other issues. In the meantime I had opportunistically come across a "reconditioned XK140 g'box and overdrive" at a very good price. So we embarked on what turned out to be a 12m journey. We rebuilt the front suspension, steering rack and anything else that was simpler to do with the engine out.

Then when the gearbox unit arrived, there was no cover and was soon identified as a Mk7. It ended up mating to the genuine 150 engine without any issue, but the cover was a different story as the existing cover will not fit as the overdrive is higher. It needs a one inch spacer on top of the gearbox, which we had made (I expect they can be bought). The gear ratios were either the same or have ended up imperceptibly different in practice.

Obviously the gearbox top would now fit but the brass selector forks would not engage and we failed to find a source of those we needed. I am lucky to have access to an incredibly clever and resourceful mechanic who was able to modify these so that they were extended and located perfectly. It just took time and patience.

Now the car is transformed and the overdrive coupled with rebuilt g’box makes the car so much more relaxing to drive at speed.

The only downside is that the reconditioning of the overdrive has left it leaking like a sieve, but I’ll put up with that for quite a while before I go through another engine out.

Incidentally we did find out that there are so many variants of the Moss g’box and some were even manufactured by Jaguar. All we investigated seemed to be the same externally, but whether that applies to that for the Mk2, I don’t know. All of what we found out was on the internet but I don’t have the links any more.

Hope this is of some assistance for you