XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Good enough for me. Thanks guys.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstone
Has anyone else noticed how poorly the front and rear windows line up without the convertible top up to align them properly?

Both of my rear windows are about 1/4" more inward than the fronts. I think there is a topic on this in the stickies, I'll have to look. Tonight I'll have to put the top up and see which windows need adjusting, front or rear.
I wonder if this is why Jaguar didn't allow the rear windows to be up when the roof is down in the first place?

Another thing that bugs me about the roof, is the fact that you can raise and lower it with the key in the door, but not by using the remote fob. Has anyone done a fix for this?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dibbit
Another thing that bugs me about the roof, is the fact that you can raise and lower it with the key in the door, but not by using the remote fob. Has anyone done a fix for this?
Hmmmm, good thought!. I've got to add that to my 'todo' list.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 2000 X-Type that would roll the windows up or down if you held the lock or unlock button on the key fob.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Hmmmm, good thought!. I've got to add that to my 'todo' list.
Yeah, I've thought about maybe using the lights on or the boot open button on the keyfob to operate the roof switch - one press for boot, two for roof? Problems include the roof switch not working when the ignition is off and having to make sure you couldn't accidentally open the roof.

Let me know when you have got it working.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

WhiteXKR, if you watch those two XK8 handover videos that K.Westra posted a week or so ago you'll see that the fob buttons do various things depending on how long you hold the button or how many times you press it. I forget exactly what the various button presses do, and I'm not going to wade through the entire video trying to find that info, but I bet a creative person like you could come up with a way to open and close the top with the fob. Heck, I never use my trunk or alarm buttons. I bet it would be possible to program those to open and close the top.

Sometimes I wish I was MacGyver. He could probably reprogram the BCM to make the convertible top do what we want just by pressing some buttons on the radio.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
WhiteXKR, if you watch those two XK8 handover videos that K.Westra posted a week or so ago you'll see that the fob buttons do various things depending on how long you hold the button or how many times you press it. I forget exactly what the various button presses do, and I'm not going to wade through the entire video trying to find that info, but I bet a creative person like you could come up with a way to open and close the top with the fob. Heck, I never use my trunk or alarm buttons. I bet it would be possible to program those to open and close the top.

Sometimes I wish I was MacGyver. He could probably reprogram the BCM to make the convertible top do what we want just by pressing some buttons on the radio.

Actually it would be pretty cool to hack into the BCM and make the car's behavior fully programmable without adding relays and time delays.

Ahhh, but spring is here...time to upgrade my intercooler first

Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

In my write-up on controlling the back windows, on the first page I added a note about how T-Taps can be unreilable and recommemded soldering or crimping as a better alternative.

Well, I have found a better, easy to use tap connector that is more reliable: it is called a Posi-Tap connector. Soldering is still best, but this is worth considering as a time saver:

Amazon.com: Posi-tap Connectors, 20-22 Gauge Wire, Bulk Pack of 20: Automotive

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-20-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just thought of this when driving today...will this new version all controlled by the top switch work raising the windows when the car in in motion above the 10 mph mark? Just curious

Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
Just thought of this when driving today...will this new version all controlled by the top switch work raising the windows when the car in in motion above the 10 mph mark? Just curious
'Up' will work. 'Down' uses the logic already in the vehicle, and I think it will work, but I cannot drive it to verify it at the moment....my car is in a state of dissassembly working on the remote top control !

Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

You can roll down the rear windows at any speed.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Right, I know "down" always works, was just wondering if the "up" would...thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will this switch work?

5PDT Momentary Automotive Window Switch

I'm somewhat electrically inclined but am not sure what the extra poles are for? Is the middle tab ground? And the two outers on each respective side connect whatever wire connected to middle common ground? Meaning I only need to connect three of the wires (ground in the middle, and one of the two other wires on either side) to the switch?

I was also thinking - I only really need the windows to go up with the switch considering we can always press down on the roof button and then back up to raise the top to avoid the convertible hitting the window. What if I found the wire that raised it, and then used one of those pulse relays to pulse for 4 seconds when I pressed the button? Would that work?

Thanks guys - really excited about trying this!

Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mbenvo
Will this switch work?

5PDT Momentary Automotive Window Switch

I'm somewhat electrically inclined but am not sure what the extra poles are for? Is the middle tab ground? And the two outers on each respective side connect whatever wire connected to middle common ground? Meaning I only need to connect three of the wires (ground in the middle, and one of the two other wires on either side) to the switch?

I was also thinking - I only really need the windows to go up with the switch considering we can always press down on the roof button and then back up to raise the top to avoid the convertible hitting the window. What if I found the wire that raised it, and then used one of those pulse relays to pulse for 4 seconds when I pressed the button? Would that work?

Thanks guys - really excited about trying this!
That switch will work, but if I had this to do all over again I would just get a push-button momentary switch with normally open contacts (pushing the button closes the contacts). That switch would raise the windows. Lowering the windows can be done with the convertible top button.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have just got very excited reading this, I am just glad it was finished! All I have to do is translate the parts into English English and I am away!

Thanks. This is a mod that I have always wanted to do as it cuts out so many complaints from the back seat passengers.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Abacusman
Well I have just got very excited reading this, I am just glad it was finished! All I have to do is translate the parts into English English and I am away!

Thanks. This is a mod that I have always wanted to do as it cuts out so many complaints from the back seat passengers.
You actually put people back there ?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

All I have to do is translate the parts into English English and I am away!

This may help with your translation:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pelling-53875/

Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
You actually put people back there ?
Oh yes, its amazing how you can shrink kids by taking all the air out of them and breaking their legs just above the ankle and knee. They dont seem to mind a bit.....

Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the translation sheet, you say tomaito and I say tomarto etc etc, but I guess that depends on what part of our respective countries you come from!

But still cant find a pulse timer in England, can buy from ebay USA but last time I bought anything from the US I got absolutely stuffed with import duty, equivalent of $20 on an $8 item.

As for diode what specification does it need to be, again 1N4001 seems to mean nothing here.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the translation sheet, you say tomaito and I say tomarto etc etc, but I guess that depends on what part of our respective countries you come from!

But still cant find a pulse timer in England, can buy from ebay USA but last time I bought anything from the US I got absolutely stuffed with import duty, equivalent of $20 on an $8 item.

As for diode what specification does it need to be, again 1N4001 seems to mean nothing here.

Thanks

It is just a 50V, 1 Amp silicon rectifier. Most any silicon rectifier will do with equal or greater ratings.

You may also be able to find a relay with integral negative spike protection, in this case the diode is built in. The 'Ford' relays in the Jaguar's fuseboxes are like that. If you use one of those, the coil connection marked '86' must be the side connected to where the cathode of the diode in the diagram goes. '85' is the other side of the coil.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Abacusman (05-18-2011)

Quick Reply: Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?