XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Header panel cloth

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Header panel cloth

I need new cloth for my header panel, I had grease on my fingers and grabbed the panel and compounded the problem when I put to much cloth adhesive on and it soaked through the material.
So where can I get match color cloth or preferably pre-cut cloth?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Headliner Material

You can get the basic colors (Black/Grey) at any fabric store. They will also sell the spray adhesive.

The old material will peel right off and you can use a stiff brush to remove the (probably) dried out foam backing. The new headliner is stretchy and will easily form to the shape.

I replaced the A-pillar portions, too so that it was a good match. Mine was grey originally but I replaced it with black which is much more attractive IMO.

An easy DIY project.

Last edited by Spurlee; 05-22-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (05-24-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Forgot to say that my interior is Oatmeal.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

theres a post that someone added to a material thread that specifically identified a great 'oatmeal' match, try a search with those words, see what you find in this subforum.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Thanks, I think from now on when I do a search, I am going to put Rev Sam in with my other search parameters.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, I am going to do the A-pillars (where did that name come from, anyway?) and I was thinking about doing the header as well so the pillars and header match.

Is there specific method to getting the header off?
Just do the screws and it comes off, no hidden problems removing header?

What about the visors, they would not appear to be an easy upholstery job as there are several heat seals or seams that cannot be reproduced.

I am planning to do the pillars and header in a tan material that does not match the existing dove gray material.
I changed the headliner to tan as well, much better color match for my interior, but of course now it does not match pillar, header or visors. If I do the pillars and header all will match except the visors!

Thanks for any thoughts or knowledge to make this job a DYI.

Happy Motoring...

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegood
Hello, I am going to do the A-pillars (where did that name come from, anyway?) and I was thinking about doing the header as well so the pillars and header match.

Is there specific method to getting the header off?
Just do the screws and it comes off, no hidden problems removing header?

What about the visors, they would not appear to be an easy upholstery job as there are several heat seals or seams that cannot be reproduced.

I am planning to do the pillars and header in a tan material that does not match the existing dove gray material.
I changed the headliner to tan as well, much better color match for my interior, but of course now it does not match pillar, header or visors. If I do the pillars and header all will match except the visors!

Thanks for any thoughts or knowledge to make this job a DYI.

Happy Motoring...
A-pillars: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=a+b+c...QHbp6lj&zoom=1

To remove the header, remove the A-pillars, then disconnect the battery. Pull down and unplug the ceiling console, then all the visor screws and brackets.
Biggest caution is on re-installation: do not get the visor light wires pinched under a screw or clip (it is easy to do). There is a design fault in the Body Processor Module and this particular short can cause complete module failure rather than a fuse blowing like it should.

Automotive sunvisors recovered to like new conditions : WLS Headliners. recovers sunvisors. I have no idea as to the quality of their work though.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-23-2012 at 08:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
vettegood (05-23-2012), wcnesta (05-24-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!

WhiteXKR, Great info and links. Very much Appreciated.

I will let you know what I find out about sunvisor recoverers and what I did with the DYI upholstery.

Did I say Thank You?

Happy Motoring.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Default Fyi

Hello WhiteXKR, thanks for the info again.

FYI, just to let you know I called WLS headliners about what they do for sunvisor and they won't do a Jaguar XKR convertible sunvisor, because they have been heat sealed on the edges and they cannot do that and won't sewn a seam because they say it would not look professional. That is there statement! Oh well...
I may just remove them I do not like their looks much anyway and with the top down they do not do a lot to help with sun..

Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went to a local upholstery shop that does classic and modern cars with a sample of my a pillar coverings and they came up with a close match. cost me 5 dollars for enough material to do both a pillars and the header panel