XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Help from my UK friends....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Help from my UK friends....

Hey Guys,

Have a question for you guys that are across the pond.

Did the XK8 over there come with a center arm rest that didn't have the dreaded flimsy cupholder inserts? After breaking my 2nd plastic cupholder I'm over it. It never really held drinks well, and I think the appearance of a solid arm rest would be more aesthetically pleasing.

If such an arm rest exist, can anyone point me in the right direction of sourcing one in LEG - black? (or warm charcoal as Jag insists on calling it).

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Can I piggyback on a question? Do you guys overseas have all the stupid air bag warning stickers on your sun visors, or are they smaller, or better yet, blank? I hate all the warning stickers.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

George,

The cupholder armrest was generally charged as an optional extra in the UK - the standard was non cupholder. The catch is different (it's magnetic on the plain armrest) but easily changed.

I detested the cupholder so much that I transferred a plain one into any X300/X308/XK8 I owned.

Unfortunate you want one in LEG. I still have my plain NED one in the garage.

Graham

Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Can I piggyback on a question? Do you guys overseas have all the stupid air bag warning stickers on your sun visors, or are they smaller, or better yet, blank? I hate all the warning stickers.
Keith,

We've recently had a thread about these stickers in X351 forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-help-110277/

Graham

Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
George,

The cupholder armrest was generally charged as an optional extra in the UK - the standard was non cupholder. The catch is different (it's magnetic on the plain armrest) but easily changed.

I detested the cupholder so much that I transferred a plain one into any X300/X308/XK8 I owned.

Unfortunate you want one in LEG. I still have my plain NED one in the garage.

Graham
I found this one:

Jaguar XK8 XJ6 XJR - BLACK ARMREST DASHBOARD CENTRE CONSOLE LID Front Seats | eBay

Here's the killer: Postage: £27.75 Royal Mail International Signed-for

As far as the catch, I suppose I need this piece:

ARMREST MAGNETIC CATCH / MAGNET - Jaguar XK8 XKR 1996-2000 | eBay

Add another 6 pounds for postage for that part.

So total would be 34.87 + 16.87 pounds + 33.75 pounds postage. X 1.67 to convert to USD = Approx $142 USD.

Is this a fair deal or is that postage grossly exaggerated?

Another option would be to combine your NED piece with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-JAGUA...item5afbf8a1cb

Thanks again,

George

Last edited by androulakis; 02-16-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Isn't the latch the same whether there is a cupholder or not? I wouldn't think there would be a difference since the cupholder is on the front/top

Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't the latch the same whether there is a cupholder or not? I wouldn't think there would be a difference since the cupholder is on the front/top
No sir. The cupholder version uses a mechanical latch. Pull the release to open.

The non cupholder version uses a magnet in the base and a steel plate in the bottom of the arm rest to get the top to "latch". You basically have to overcome the resistance of the magnet to get it to open.

Take care,

George

Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Lifter 1 Carpet Stain Remover totally dissolves them on the X100: http://www.lifter1.com/carpet_stain_remover.htm
It will initally run the ink, but do not panic and keep repeating it with clean towels until it totally disappears. It actually is quite amazing.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (02-19-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Lifter 1 Carpet Stain Remover totally dissolves them on the X100......
That was a brave experiment.

How many visors did you go through before you found the right product?

Graham

Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by androulakis
............ So total would be 34.87 + 16.87 pounds + 33.75 pounds postage. X 1.67 to convert to USD = Approx $142 USD.

Is this a fair deal or is that postage grossly exaggerated?
George,

The cost of the armrest in your first ebay link is very reasonable and that is the correct magnetic catch for it in the second link.

TransAtlantic postage rates using our Royal Mail can be a killer for private individuals but it is possible to get better rates than that from other carriers.

Graham

Old 02-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
That was a brave experiment.

How many visors did you go through before you found the right product?

Graham
Actually it was quite by accident. I was cleaning the visor with this and the ink on the label start to run. I thought at first that was the end of the line for the visor.

I figured I might as well continue at that point and the whole label dissolved and disappeared without a trace leaving a pristine visor. Guess I got lucky.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I figured I might as well continue at that point and the whole label dissolved and disappeared without a trace leaving a pristine visor.
Think this would work on a convertible headliner to remove stains? Have you tried it?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by androulakis
Hey Guys,

Have a question for you guys that are across the pond.

Did the XK8 over there come with a center arm rest that didn't have the dreaded flimsy cupholder inserts? After breaking my 2nd plastic cupholder I'm over it. It never really held drinks well, and I think the appearance of a solid arm rest would be more aesthetically pleasing.

If such an arm rest exist, can anyone point me in the right direction of sourcing one in LEG - black? (or warm charcoal as Jag insists on calling it).

Thanks in advance,

George
I have the same feelings about the uselessness of the cupholder, however I still wanted somewhere to put my drink.

If you're feeling brave, or if you buy a non cupholder armrest and so your old one is surplus to requirements then you can do what I did.

I took the armrest apart, took out the flimsy cupholder assembly and, using a dremel cut away any surplus plastic to leave just an empty space, but retaining the spring up lid. Inside I then stuck one of those foam cupholders. To make it fit I had to cut out a section it and cut it to size.

Obviously it only takes one cup, but it holds it securely and the lid opens and closes as normal.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by abraxus
I have the same feelings about the uselessness of the cupholder, however I still wanted somewhere to put my drink. If you're feeling brave, or if you buy a non cupholder armrest and so your old one is surplus to requirements then you can do what I did. I took the armrest apart, took out the flimsy cupholder assembly and, using a dremel cut away any surplus plastic to leave just an empty space, but retaining the spring up lid. Inside I then stuck one of those foam cupholders. To make it fit I had to cut out a section it and cut it to size. Obviously it only takes one cup, but it holds it securely and the lid opens and closes as normal.
I'm about to pull the trigger on this setup from the UK. On both my cupholders the failure has been on the lid hinge itself at the bottom. The plastic breaks, and the whole thing kinda wants to come off of the front of the arm rest. You have to kinda pull it up to get it to close if that makes sense.

I think there was an upgraded cupholder made at some point with a stronger metal hinge, but it doesn't really solve the problem of holding a drink well. I was going to take a page out of the BMW play book and use one of those stainless steel ultimate cupholders in the car.

The car is in winter storage for now, but we're snowed in and I was bored and started thinking of things I want to do this season. I have the welsh windscreen, new speakers, I hacked up an AI net cable to give me aux in etc.... So as soon as the weather breaks, let the games begin.

Take care,

George

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

Forum member enderle has a fix using the european console lid and metal holders. Keep saying I'm going to do this, but other projects keep popping up.

Worth a look.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d=2#post797783

Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Think this would work on a convertible headliner to remove stains? Have you tried it?
It probably would work, but if is the rust colored stains from the deteriorated backing foam, then the stains will return after a while.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (02-17-2014)