XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Part # for brake vacuum line from TB.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help: Part # for brake vacuum line from TB.

Hello all,
I have already scoured the downloaded, freeze-framed, Jaguar EPC and parts pdf.'s to no avail. I am looking for a specific vacuum line for a 2004 XKR (probably on all 2003-2006 XKR's). This hard plastic vacuum line starts at passenger side Throttle-Body-Elbow, then does a 360 degree circle around the TB (comes out passenger side, travels forward, then towards drivers side, then rearward to firewall, then towards passenger side), then follows the firewall toward the passenger side where it ends in a plastic adapter with a red rectangular button to disconnect it. It attaches to another hard line (which I don't need) that eventually travels all the way over to the driver's side brake booster / power-brake unit).
I will happily settle for any generic line that works as well, but it presses in to the TB elbow (where I have a vacuum leak), so generic vacuum line will not work unless there are special adapters that someone may know about. Also, is anything special required to remove this vacuum line from the TB beside brute force?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't know the part number of the hard plastic vacuum line, but frequently this isn't the cause of the vacuum leak, instead, it is often the o-ring and the plastic retainer piece that fits into the brass fitting in the Throttle body elbow. This is part number C2S15816. It is the brake line booster connector kit. It consists of a brass insert, o-ring, and a plastic retainer piece. The way this connector works is like Chinese finger cuffs, where if you pull on the brake line vacuum plastic tube, it tightens its grip, and often this breaks the brittle plastic retainer piece, and/or dislodges the o-ring, and you get a leak. Also, sometimes the o-ring gets dislodged and pushed into the throttle body elbow. I suggest you get the connector kit, which is available at the dealerships, and if not in stock they will expedite it next day for only $20 (the standard parts expedite fee Jaguar charges). The kit is about $20 too. Use the plastic connector retainer piece and o-ring, and discard the brass insert.

To remove the vacuum line, just pull gently and at the same time, with your finger nail, hold the plastic piece inserted into the brass fitting tight up against the throttle body elbow, the vacuum line should come out easily. Then you can remove the plastic insert piece (probably in pieces and make sure you get it all out, pieces can sometimes be tricky and stuck in there) then check for the o-ring in in the brass insert. If in there, you need to get it out. Reference the new part for how it all fits. Then insert the new o-ring, and new plastic piece into the old brass insert still in the elbow. Don't try to remove the brass piece, no need to, and very difficult. lube the vacuum tube with oil so it slips inside the o-ring rather than pushing it out into the inside of the intake elbow.

BTW, the part number I provided for the kit is for xtype, stype, XF, and maybe other models. There is no XK8 or R part number that I have been able to find, but they all are the same.

Finally, sometimes people break off the last bit of this vacuum line inside the elbow, but their usually is enough extra that it doesn't matter.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 07-11-2014 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
oyster (01-19-2015), Red1bw (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks. Part has been ordered. I did remove the line successfully, and that was easy. Line looks in good shape other than potentially being brittle as it is old and plastic. I did break the plastic retainer taking it out afterward (but had ordered the kit anyway). I can definitely say there is no o-ring in there. It may have been dissolved over the years with TB cleaner, heat, gas, age, temperature cycles; or simply falling into the TB and burning up. I did do a smoke test with cigar on car and am pretty sure leak if from that coupling.

My question is, when the O-ring is inside the brass fitting is it closer to the inside of the TB or the outside? If inside (TB) it looks like it would seal between the brass fitting directly to the line. If outside (TB) looks like it would seal between brass fitting and plastic retainer. I can't really tell by just looking at the existing TB brass fitting where it sits as there is no o-ring. I did check out other threads, but could only see the picture of new part with o-ring, and it is not obvious to me which way the brass portion goes in (not that I intend to use brass fitting).

Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

There is a groove on the inside of the brass fitting which is what holds the o-ring in place, that groove is in toward the end that fits into the throttle body elbow. In fact, if you take off the throttle body and look down into the elbow you can see the end of the brass fitting, that is the end with the groove. Placing the o-ring into the brass fitting isn't simple, and is a bit nerve wracking thinking what if I push it through, or what if I can't get it into the grove? To be honest, knowing how easy it is the remove the throttle body (at least on the non-supercharged car) I would buy a TB gasket, pull the 4 screws that hold it on and remove the 2 coolant hoses, and then fit the pieces together and push the vacuum tube in while watching on the inside of the elbow to be sure the o-ring isn't pushed out. It isn't necessary, but if I had to do it again, I would do that. I will say I confirmed a vacuum leak on mine, and the plastic piece was broken, and the o-ring was missing. After installing the new kit, I confirmed no vacuum leak. This is a poor design. What would work perfectly is a metal tube welded in place just like the coolant tubes on the throttle body, and a short rubber hose to the harder plastic tube, just like is on the overflow tank hose to the water pump, using the rubber short rubber hose just as a coupler. Anyhow, good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mike6348 (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pulling my intake to replace heater hoses and am at the point in JTIS to remove the brake booster vacuum line.
After finally finding it I was just getting ready to start pulling on the hose but stopped and thought to myself it does not look like a standard vacuum nipple and I am going to break something; I should just look it up on the forum first.

Held the plastic piece to the throttle body with a screwdriver and the hose slipped right out.

Thanks