XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Help removing drivers seat module

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Help removing drivers seat module

Hey guys,

So my new to me XK8 has an electrically dead driver's seat, as well as no heated seat on the driver side. I've done some searching and it appears that the drivers seat modules corrode and fail, and also possibly break traces inside and need resoldering.

Now here's the dillema. My seat will NOT move. It's all the way back (touching rear seat) which is ok as far as driving, but wont let me access the bolts to pull it out.

I tried looking under the seat, and cant see any bolts, although I do see some zip ties around what I believe to be the module.

Anyone who can help with a way to get this thing out?

I'll attach a pic of what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

George

Attached Thumbnails Help removing drivers seat module-ds-module.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by androulakis:
Jeff in Tucson (05-16-2012), wcnesta (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Someone has been there before you. The module should be bolted to a bracket which in turn bolts to the underside of the seat. It's common to find the module cover broken and this kind of zip tie fix applied:

Help removing drivers seat module-09-damage-passenger-seat-module.jpg

Mine was the same so I obtained a replacement module cover:

Help removing drivers seat module-10-passenger-seat-module-removed.jpg
Help removing drivers seat module-13-passenger-seat-module-bracket-fitted.jpg

One solution to be able to move the driver' seat is to cut the zip ties, release the two modules connectors and swap it for the working module from the passenger seat. You can then move the driver's seat to access the four fixings, remove the seat, repair the module and re-attach it securely before refitting the seat.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Jeff in Tucson (05-16-2012), wcnesta (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Brilliant!

George, let us know if Graham's idea works for your car....

Old 05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Me, too!

My 2000 XKR convertible has the exact same driver seat problem. It is currently at my mechanic's shop having all new struts and bushings, plus cooling system hose refresh being done, so I can't do it right now. After I get my kitty back, I'll get back to this thread and fix my seat! Thanks for posting!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Well I took care of it.... It was actually quite easy.

First I wanted to see what was going on with the driver's side module. So I cut out the zip ties and pulled the module out. I had to wrestle with the connectors but got it out. Not a lot of room for someone with big hands.

So as Graham suggested, someone had been there before. This is what the module looked like when I pulled it out.

So after I got the cover off, I pulled the board out, and took a look around. I found two broken traces in the board, - interestingly there was one on each side of the board. Probably from it having bounced around the case.

I used some jumpers - and fortunately jaguar had holes in the board with pads to solder the jumpers to.

Look at the bottom center of this pic. You can see the subtle break in the lower most trace. Sorry my iphone doesn't take the greatest pics.. especially up close

Here was the broken trace (once again along the top edge) of the board on the other side.

These pics were before I soldered. I soldered on the opposite side of the respective trace. I plugged the module in prior to soldering and everything worked, all seat functions, AND the driver heated seat now turned on! Success!!!!

So then I put the board back in the box and wrapped it in loctite waterproof tape for now.

Then I put it back in place and put in two new zip ties to attach it to the seat frame. I need to order the repacement cover with the studs I believe it's $5, and install it properly.

Now, here's my theory as to why these fail. These are a press / clip fit into that case but NO screws. Its clear that the board can move. The wires move and move the board along with it, while the case is fixed. And it rubs against the edge of these tabs that snap it shut, and it eventually wears out the traces. I guess the drivers seat fails first because it sees the most use.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Take care,

George

The following 7 users liked this post by androulakis:
BlackX300VDP (05-16-2012), GBCat (09-29-2020), Jeff in Tucson (05-17-2012), jimbov8 (04-14-2013), Johnken (09-28-2020), joycesjag (08-23-2012), wcnesta (05-17-2012) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Now, here's my theory as to why these fail. These are a press / clip fit into that case but NO screws. Its clear that the board can move. The wires move and move the board along with it, while the case is fixed. And it rubs against the edge of these tabs that snap it shut, and it eventually wears out the traces. I guess the drivers seat fails first because it sees the most use.

George
Yes it is physical wear. It also is environmental exposure...I have seen some with corroded copper traces which are particularly exposed at the edge. I think persperation and spills take their toll over the years to on some of them too. These really should have been conformally coated with trace keep out areas at the edges.

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I think I may have to revisit the seats in my car! I swapped the passengers module into the drivers seat so it could move. I'm gonna take another look at the board. Thanks!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
I think I may have to revisit the seats in my car! I swapped the passengers module into the drivers seat so it could move. I'm gonna take another look at the board. Thanks!
Hey, I'm prob a bit over an hour or so north of you if you need help with the boards. The breaks aren't obvious - look at the pic with the large chip. They kind of look like dark spots in the trace. I'd be glad to fix them for you if you want to drive them up or send them up.

Let me know.

Take care,

Geroge

wcnesta (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Great job, George. I'm sure this will help some folks dealing with the same issues in some of the older XK8s out there....

Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Module fix

I never thought of the plastic ties to hold up the modules before reading this post. Both of my modules on my 05 XK8 are working, but passenger side was hanging down with both cover clips broken. Upon examining the driver's module I found that it was hanging by one connector only. Went to Menards and bought extra heavy removable ties. Half hour's work and both are securely attached. Total cost: $3 and change plus a little blood from the tight working quarters! Thanks for the posts.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dwagenkn
I never thought of the plastic ties to hold up the modules before reading this post. Both of my modules on my 05 XK8 are working, but passenger side was hanging down with both cover clips broken. Upon examining the driver's module I found that it was hanging by one connector only. Went to Menards and bought extra heavy removable ties. Half hour's work and both are securely attached. Total cost: $3 and change plus a little blood from the tight working quarters! Thanks for the posts.
Jag dealers also sell replacement module covers for about 5 bucks since this is such a common problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passenger side seat is stuck in the fully reclined position. All of the power options seem to work with the exception of sitting it back up. I can hear the telltale click when pushing back on the button but nothing when pushing forward. Found this thread and believe the circuit board may be my problem too. The module is broken off from the seat bottom like so many others and the traces at the front of the board look pretty beat up. I just have no idea which one controls the recline function or how to figure it out. Can I check the continuity of the traces using a multi-meter? Has anyone ordered a new board, if so how, where, and cost? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Help removing drivers seat module-jag-seat-module-top.jpg   Help removing drivers seat module-jag-seat-module-bottom.jpg  
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

See the photo in post number 5 above. Add wires at the endpints of the traces along the edge of the board.

Cleaning the traces with some alcohol and using a magnifying glass will help you see the break or breaks along the edge of the board. This is an easily repairable fault. Bring it to a local electronics repair guy if you do not want to do it yourself.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-14-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Someone has been there before you. The module should be bolted to a bracket which in turn bolts to the underside of the seat. It's common to find the module cover broken and this kind of zip tie fix applied:

Attachment 19504

Mine was the same so I obtained a replacement module cover:

Attachment 19505
Attachment 19506

One solution to be able to move the driver' seat is to cut the zip ties, release the two modules connectors and swap it for the working module from the passenger seat. You can then move the driver's seat to access the four fixings, remove the seat, repair the module and re-attach it securely before refitting the seat.

Graham
Hi Graham,

By chance do you have the part number for the cover portion only? My one bracket is broken and would like to fix before my seat module is on the floor getting kicked by passengers

Thanks

Old 09-29-2020, 09:57 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Hi Graham,

By chance do you have the part number for the cover portion only? My one bracket is broken and would like to fix before my seat module is on the floor getting kicked by passengers

Thanks
Sorry, I don't.

My dealer Parts Department found it for me but I left all the repair and maintenance receipts with the vehicle document set for the next owner when I sold the car.

Graham

Old 09-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Sorry, I don't.

My dealer Parts Department found it for me but I left all the repair and maintenance receipts with the vehicle document set for the next owner when I sold the car.

Graham
Thanks for the reply! I found it this morning!

If anyone is looking for a replacement cover. It's C2N3565.

GGG (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:35 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by JaguarXKR
Thanks for the reply! I found it this morning!

If anyone is looking for a replacement cover. It's C2N3565.
So it is and at an unusually low cost for Jaguar plastic.

Graham

JaguarXKR (09-29-2020)