XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make the Alpine Aux-switcher work with the XK8 (to avoid butchering)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink How to make the Alpine Aux-switcher work with the XK8 w/Premium or normal sound

The problem
The Aux switcher has the wrong mapping for signal ground (as I suspected as I could hear a faint sound with music playing).

The fix
Open it up, desolder the RCA ground (black wire), then solder a wire from it to the 5 position (connect it underneath the board below the connector, use a multimeter to find the correct pin). There's also an unused "soldering hole" in the board you can use.

You HAVE to connect it between the CD changer and the amp, as the radio won't shut up when on.

Last edited by jagosaurus; 02-09-2011 at 03:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagosaurus:
dsetter (05-12-2011), WhiteXKR (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Jagosaurus...this information should help lots of people.

I am assuming that you do not have the factory navigation system.

I and others have found this modification is not necessary when used with factory nav and when the AI-AUX adapter is connected between the navigation unit and the amp (for premium) or headunit (for standard). When used this way the AUX input overrides the radio. I suppose the navigation unit internally connects these grounds, which is why it works.

I have not tried it yet, but I am surmising that if someone wants to override the CD player instead of the radio with factory navigation, they can perform your procedure and insert the AI-AUX between the CD and Navigation units. This configuration never worked before.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-09-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's correct - I don't have satnav.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jagosaurus, White XkR,

I will once again rely on your immense knowledge and wisdom, O Jaguar Gurus!

I installed both the T605 and the PIE alp ai/aux yesterday. The t605 works fine except I couldn't rely on the oem mic wiring. I still have to route my own wire, but the good new is that I can still use the OEM mic!

The PIE switcher switches once modified (in/out switched, ground resoldered), with the same level problem as mentionned everywhere. Solution identified, so no big deal. I placed it between the CD changer and the amp (standard sound system, no nav)

However, one new problem arises: the audio level on R channel is wayyyyyyy lower than the L channel, on both CD and Ipod, and the Ipod sound very thin, as if the woofer was off, or as if there was a phase inversion somewhere.

I as wondering if someone had a similar issue,and if there is any known fix for that. I would even appreciate rough suggestions at that point!

thanks again.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagosaurus
The problem

You HAVE to connect it between the CD changer and the amp, as the radio won't shut up when on.

I confirm it doesn't work quiet well between the Headunit and the amp, and it also screws up the mute fucntion of teh T605 for some reason, at least on my 2004 XK8 (standard sound, no nav).

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Thisch
Jagosaurus, White XkR,

I will once again rely on your immense knowledge and wisdom, O Jaguar Gurus!

I installed both the T605 and the PIE alp ai/aux yesterday. The t605 works fine except I couldn't rely on the oem mic wiring. I still have to route my own wire, but the good new is that I can still use the OEM mic!

The PIE switcher switches once modified (in/out switched, ground resoldered), with the same level problem as mentionned everywhere. Solution identified, so no big deal. I placed it between the CD changer and the amp (standard sound system, no nav)

However, one new problem arises: the audio level on R channel is wayyyyyyy lower than the L channel, on both CD and Ipod, and the Ipod sound very thin, as if the woofer was off, or as if there was a phase inversion somewhere.

I as wondering if someone had a similar issue,and if there is any known fix for that. I would even appreciate rough suggestions at that point!

thanks again.

I am a bit confused by your post. You said you connected it between the CD changer and amp, and that you have the standard sound system. The standard sound system does not have an external amp. Did you mean the headunit in the dash instead of the amp? If you have an amp over the CD changer in the trunk then you do have premium sound. It is hard to answer your question until you clarify this.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to spam (as I posted this in the XJ section already) but seeing there is a similar topic here on the XK8/R board I thought I'd ask the same here:

I've got an 1999 XKR with the most basic sound system and no nav.

Would this (or something similar) work?
Car MP3 Player digital music cd changer interface with USB/SD/AUX for Alpine AI NET-in Car MP3 Players from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

It looks like the other OEM system such as VW could control it since it looks like a cd changer to the head unit...