Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove/check indicator stalk

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to remove/check indicator stalk

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a few issues relating to my headlights/indicator stalk.

When the headlights are on, indicating left or right causes the centre console lights and (more worryingly) the tail lights to go out. I only realised the second part of this the other day.

It's all a bit temperamental but pressing the computer cycle switch on the end of the stalk can also cause similar problems. To get the lights back on, indicating left and then returning it to normal brings everything back, usually.

I've read a few related posts and it seems that this sort of problem can be caused by a knackered battery, but I don't think that's causing it. I tried connecting it to another car with jump leads and again testing all of this with a very good level of charge and the problems were still occurring.

So now I think it's a faulty connection on the indicator stalk which some people have also mentioned. Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to how I can check the connections or remove the indicator stalk altogether?

Thanks,

Jack

The following 2 users liked this post by Ajax:
simon3166 (09-24-2017), XK8guy (06-11-2017)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM

So, I've managed to fix it. But it was a fairly laborious process! Basically, there were two wires that had become detached. They come from the lighting stalk and are attached to a part behind the steering wheel. In my case, the green and grey ones had broken free.

For anyone else who might stumble upon this, you need to get the steering wheel off which is a bit of a ballache. Removing the airbag is like defusing a bomb as I've read posts by a lot of people warning that these can go off if you aren't careful!

I came across this set of technical instructions on the switches themselves:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/cr...ion_switch.pdf

However this still left me at a loss once I had everything open as I didn't know where the green and grey wires were supposed to be attached. And then from the heavens I stumbled upon this and it saved my bacon! None of the electrical diagrams explain the leads in terms of colours and connection points as far as I can tell:
http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...s%20Repair.pdf

My soldering wasn't brilliant but it has done the trick. Everything is working great in my car now and even the auto light feature is working (I had assumed that this was gone for good.)

Cheers,

Jack

The following 7 users liked this post by Ajax:
Ekki (07-14-2020), Gregfromuk (10-07-2013), Orthodixie (06-11-2017), Samilcar (01-04-2016), simon3166 (09-24-2017), ThatsNoMoon (06-19-2019), XK8guy (06-11-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-29-2013, 01:13 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax
............ I tried connecting it to another car with jump leads and again testing all of this with a very good level of charge and the problems were still occurring................
Jack,

Good to hear you got the switch repaired.

Note the warnings in the Vehicle Care Handbook on emergency starting with another vehicle (see the section I've boxed in red):

There's a lot of sensitive electronics can be fried with a spike.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails How to remove/check indicator stalk-emergency.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
Orthodixie (06-11-2017), RJ237 (04-30-2013), simon3166 (09-24-2017)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 AM

Whoops, thanks Graham. I did check that when I had to jump start it a while back but as both engines were running I hadn't imagined there would be any problems.

Luckily it looks as though I got away with it this time but I won't do that again. Fortunately the car I was linking it to was only a VW Up and I don't think their batteries are particularly powerful, otherwise I could have created many new issues!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

So, I've managed to fix it. But it was a fairly laborious process! Basically, there were two wires that had become detached. They come from the lighting stalk and are attached to a part behind the steering wheel. In my case, the green and grey ones had broken free.

For anyone else who might stumble upon this, you need to get the steering wheel off which is a bit of a ballache. Removing the airbag is like defusing a bomb as I've read posts by a lot of people warning that these can go off if you aren't careful!

However this still left me at a loss once I had everything open as I didn't know where the green and grey wires were supposed to be attached. And then from the heavens I stumbled upon this and it saved my bacon! None of the electrical diagrams explain the leads in terms of colours and connection points as far as I can tell:

My soldering wasn't brilliant but it has done the trick. Everything is working great in my car now and even the auto light feature is working (I had assumed that this was gone for good.)

Cheers,

Jack
Thanks so much for that Ajax! I love this website.
I'd put a new LCM in and kinda come to the end of what I could do, so earlier today I took the indicator stalk off just to see and i had 3 wires off!Green Red and Grey!
Luckily in your pic I could just about see where the red and grey ones were soldered.After I had finished my side lights/tail lights/front fogs/dimmer switch and trip computer, fuel used/average speed etc all started working again!!
I still can't quite believe it :-)

The following users liked this post:
Gerry1 (08-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh yea, and my auto light feature works too :-)

Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack,

That was exactly the info I needed for my X308! Been driving around with my mist lamps for weeks now...

Cheers,

Leo

Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 AM

Hi Leo/Greg,

Very pleased to see this has helped!

My auto lights have stopped working so I may need to revisit my soldering job.

Best,

Jack

Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Signal indicator question

Cheers,

Jack

Jack,
My blinkers do not operate, indicator blinks fast. I have power at the rear blinker board while on, bulb is good but no blinker.

Would I experience this if the wires had come loose at the location you had?

Thanks
Tauni

Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 AM

Hi Tauni,

Apologies for the massive delay in responding. I hope you've managed to get this fixed. I don't think the above fix is related to the problem that you are (or probably were) having.

Cheers,

Jack

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Removing the airbag is like defusing a bomb
That is frickin' hilarious!:icon_crac kup:

Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks from me to Ajax, and the chap who wrote the repair guide. Driving home from the airport last night my auto lights got in a right muddle, on, off warnings to say lights not on etc when I wiggled the stalk or pushed the info button they went haywire, so I figured a loose connection or faulty stalk. I followed the guides posted by Ajax, the wire that was loose in my case was a gray wire, I found where it was supposed to attach to by the picture in the repair guide. Soldered on, all seems good just now, I'll check after dark too.