XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Jaguar XK8 gas tank removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XK8 gas tank removal

I have a 2000 Jaguar XK8 convertable that needs a new fuel pump... The car won't start and there is no fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Since the pump is in the gas tank, I need to remove the tank.

I have removed the trunk carpets, the steel panel holding in the tank, the grounding strap on the upper left of the tank, the harness connector on the upper right of the tank.

As for the fuel lines... I disconnected a large black rubber hose that connected to the tank on the left (it connected to a pipe that is part of the tank) I also disconnected what looks like a fuel line (Had a fuel line quick disconnect fitting) in the same area as the black rubber hose. Both of these connections were in the trunk. The fuel line (?) and rubber hose go out the bottom of the trunk compartment (I'm assuming that these are the fuel and return lines from the engine compartment.

I freed up the filler neck from its rubber boot under the filler door.

I can wiggle the tank on the right side.

The hard fuel line I disconnected on the left doesn't seem to move with the tank. It disappears around the left end of the tank (I assumed it was connected behind the tank)

Before I apply brute force, is there something else holding in the tank? do I need to go under the car and disconnect more lines?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Not having had the pleasure of that task . . . yet . . . I can only give you a couple of links on the subject.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...t-start-10157/
YouTube - ‪98 Jaguar XJR Fuel Pump Repair‬‏

Looks like a pretty difficult job.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fuel pump replacement

Doug 313;
In the XK8/XKR Category, go to the FAQ/DIY Sticky Section, Scroll down about half way through the section. There you will find a number of categories published by Gus - one being How to Replace a Fuel Pump. It includes a pictorial guide and detailed explanation on the procedure. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Default XK8 fuel tank removal

Thanks for your help. I found the overview on the removal of the gas tank. It references the same car and has very nice photos. For anyone attempting this task, I can verify that the removal of the gas lines (under the car and above the differential) appears to be the most difficult part of this job. I have purchased the quick disconnect tool that the gentleman references in the article... but, I'm thinking that I'll get my son-in-law to lay under the car and torture himself trying to get at the connections.

The fuel lines couldn't be located in a more difficult to reach space (really a “lack” of space). It must be at Jag that the talented engineers get the suspension/engine/brakes and the idiots get the gas tank.

I'm thinking of designing a tool to slide up the line and push the disconnect and pull back on the line. Given that the dealer wanted $1500 to do what looks like a 2 hour job (After you get the lines disconnected)... I think I could easily sell a tool that removes the line for $300. I would buy it!!!

Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Default Xk8 fuel tank

Originally Posted by Doug 313
Thanks for your help. I found the overview on the removal of the gas tank. It references the same car and has very nice photos. For anyone attempting this task, I can verify that the removal of the gas lines (under the car and above the differential) appears to be the most difficult part of this job. I have purchased the quick disconnect tool that the gentleman references in the article... but, I'm thinking that I'll get my son-in-law to lay under the car and torture himself trying to get at the connections.

The fuel lines couldn't be located in a more difficult to reach space (really a “lack” of space). It must be at Jag that the talented engineers get the suspension/engine/brakes and the idiots get the gas tank.

I'm thinking of designing a tool to slide up the line and push the disconnect and pull back on the line. Given that the dealer wanted $1500 to do what looks like a 2 hour job (After you get the lines disconnected)... I think I could easily sell a tool that removes the line for $300. I would buy it!!!
I read where you said you found the pictorial I am not very tech savvy and I can not find this (sticky) section can you send a link

Old 04-02-2021, 04:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XK8 fuel tank removal

Originally Posted by test point
Not having had the pleasure of that task . . . yet . . . I can only give you a couple of links on the subject.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...t-start-10157/
YouTube - ‪98 Jaguar XJR Fuel Pump Repair‬‏

Looks like a pretty difficult job.
Sorry to ask basics but have checked the fuse and relay in the trunk fusebox? There are 2 fuel line connections on the bottom of the tank that you can only get to from under the car (with difficulty as not much space).

Old 04-02-2021, 06:19 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (04-02-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 PM

Quick release tool for fuel line under jag xk8 A piece of 1/2 inch lbs pipe will work cut it down the middle about 4 inches then cut across at the 4Inch mark. Looking at it sideways it looks like an L. Now u have a tool.