XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

lurch or delayed shift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lurch or delayed shift?

The ZF transmission was rebuilt 22k mi. ago.

Now I feel a delayed shift or an abrupt lurch motion from a stop in reverse & in drive. This abrupt clunking motion happens accelerating from less than 5mph or also from a full stop.

There are no warning messages displayed.

I read all the articles about the lurch, but could not find anything that reports it happening in both drive & reverse.

Anyone find anymore articles?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you know what fluid they put in it? Was it a Jag shop?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW:
It may be the servo cables connected to the J shifter. I've got a similar problem when shifting into reverse. I took it to the ZF transmission guy yesterday (expecting the worst of course) and the first thing he noticed was the slop/play in the shifter mechanism. To put things in perspective, my car has 223K miles on it, the transmission was replaced at 96K, but no work done on the shifter or the tranny since. We took it to a Jag shop yesterday since the transmission guy didn't think it was the tranny, and the shop owners advised that over time the internal J shifter cables strech and the cable sheathing wears through creating the slop. That slop
supposedly affects the servos (basically shunting fluid back and forth between the servos), so the tranny cycles back and forth as well trying to determine what drive position it should be in. I noted you said your car has 140K miles on it, so shifter play/slop may be the cause. According to both the ZF transmission guy and the Jag shop, the J shifter should be firm/positive when moving between park, reverse, neutral, and drive. I also did not have any warning message lights. I'm taking the car in for a fluid/filter change next Thursday and we'll see if that improves anything. If not, then off to the shop for the shifter fix. I'll keep all posted on how that turns out.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The independent transmission shop that did the rebuild, found the problem.

Inside the bottom of the transmission is the valve body. It had a hairline crack.

They removed & replaced the part and changed the fluid for no charge. Now it's shifting smoother than ever, no delay and no lurch

Old 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

This is good information! I wonder if this might apply to the S-Type lurching problems?

Originally Posted by gchin
The independent transmission shop that did the rebuild, found the problem.

Inside the bottom of the transmission is the valve body. It had a hairline crack.

They removed & replaced the part and changed the fluid for no charge. Now it's shifting smoother than ever, no delay and no lurch

Old 10-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

wow, a crack in the actual valve body!?! Did you keep the offending part?

Would like pics if you can.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
wow, a crack in the actual valve body!?! Did you keep the offending part?

Would like pics if you can.
Splits in one of the outer most channel edges in the 'lower' (if that's how it's termed) is common in the the 5hp24 of our type...

Old 10-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by jimrxk8
FWIW:
It may be the servo cables connected to the J shifter. I've got a similar problem when shifting into reverse. I took it to the ZF transmission guy yesterday (expecting the worst of course) and the first thing he noticed was the slop/play in the shifter mechanism. To put things in perspective, my car has 223K miles on it, the transmission was replaced at 96K, but no work done on the shifter or the tranny since. We took it to a Jag shop yesterday since the transmission guy didn't think it was the tranny, and the shop owners advised that over time the internal J shifter cables strech and the cable sheathing wears through creating the slop. That slop
supposedly affects the servos (basically shunting fluid back and forth between the servos), so the tranny cycles back and forth as well trying to determine what drive position it should be in. I noted you said your car has 140K miles on it, so shifter play/slop may be the cause. According to both the ZF transmission guy and the Jag shop, the J shifter should be firm/positive when moving between park, reverse, neutral, and drive. I also did not have any warning message lights. I'm taking the car in for a fluid/filter change next Thursday and we'll see if that improves anything. If not, then off to the shop for the shifter fix. I'll keep all posted on how that turns out.
This ^^^^^^ is a great post. I needed this idea and info.
Thank you much!

I just placed a transgo valve,,, replaced one side of the half shaft U joints and both rear shocks,,, was thinking next about the main drive shaft rear (thanks Michael) u joint - CHASING this issue of jerk and lurch... I have known I have trouble with my shifter,,, but the way that you just described its (dis) function makes all kinds of sense. Thanks dude.

Last edited by JayJagJay; 10-08-2020 at 01:46 PM.