XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Well, that was unnerving. <stall at speed>

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Well, that was unnerving. <stall at speed>

Driving on the freeway at about 70mph, left lane (of course).

Lost all engine power, although the rev counter was still showing some movement. I assume this is because the gearbox was in D. Made my way to the right shoulder, moved the shifter to N, then the revs dropped to zero and I got the ENGINE STALLED indicator (in case I hadn't noticed). CEL came on of course, but no other indicators or warnings.

Took the key out, sat for just a minute and had a talk with the car, then the coupe started right up. Only weird thing at startup was a short puff of white smoke from the exhaust...just lasted a second...never did it before, and hasn't since. Just at the one start after the stall.

Continued on through a spirited 40 mile drive perfectly.

I don't have the ability to get the codes read today, but I would think this is the old sticky butterfly in the throttle body? Yes? NOTE: This car had the original throttle body replaced by Jaguar a few years ago.

If so, what is the Jag Forum-Approved Method of cleaning the butterfly and throttle body bore? Any particular cleaners work best?

One last question: what is your opinion on the puff of white smoke at startup after the stall?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I found a great DIY on the forum on cleaning the throttle body, MAFS and part-load breather...thanks VERY much, MrTexasDan. My hat's off to you.

I'd still greatly appreciate the opinion of our experts on whether this sounds like a throttle sticking issue or not, and what the white puff of smoke was all about.

Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

In that senario white smoke after start would probably be unburned fuel vapors trapped after the stall in either the cylinders or the exhaust system.

Sounds like quite a thrill ride. Just curious, how did the steering feel with the engine stalled? Extremely heavy or fairly managable?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark

Sounds like quite a thrill ride. Just curious, how did the steering feel with the engine stalled? Extremely heavy or fairly managable?
Thanks, Skid.

Truthfully, I don't really remember how the steering felt. I was just trying not to get creamed.

But, I didn't have to do any hard turns, just a gentle glide (across four lanes!) to the right shoulder..minimal steering action. So if it was heavier than normal, I may not have noticed.

Would your first assumption on this be the throttle body?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, I had this problem regular a couple of years ago, always around 70mph, but since I,ve sprayed the electrical connectors on throttle body with good quality contact cleaner as part of my routine maintenance, the problem has not occured. Thankfully!
Don,t know whether it,s just the removal and refitting of the connector thats done the trick but hey ho! worked for me.
Bob

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Were you at a steady speed and throttle setting, or did you back off the gas and it died then?
Dying at highway speed with the throttle closed is a well know issue. Mine did it twice (the steering and brakes were fine) and a throttle body and IAC clean did the trick.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Thanks, Skid.

Truthfully, I don't really remember how the steering felt. I was just trying not to get creamed.

But, I didn't have to do any hard turns, just a gentle glide (across four lanes!) to the right shoulder..minimal steering action. So if it was heavier than normal, I may not have noticed.

Would your first assumption on this be the throttle body?
Sure sounds like it.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

what about gauges, did they still work? Was there still power to them? (lights, you said the tach worked too)

Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

I have had this scenario quite a few times, it has been caused from a variety of things, from air leaks to dodgy connections/throttle bodies.

Just FYI the steering goes heavy like a rock, the slower you get the harder it is to turn.

The puff of smoke could of been vapour that has been suggested, or possibly condensation burning off from inside the exhaust, I would not worry too much about that.

The following users liked this post:
The Coupe (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avt007
Were you at a steady speed and throttle setting, or did you back off the gas and it died then?
Dying at highway speed with the throttle closed is a well know issue. Mine did it twice (the steering and brakes were fine) and a throttle body and IAC clean did the trick.
avt,

There was a bit of traffic around, so I may have backed off the throtte just a bit as I came storming up on someone in the left lane (as I'm more likely to do now that I own this car!).

Originally Posted by h20boy
what about gauges, did they still work? Was there still power to them? (lights, you said the tach worked too)
H2O,

Power stayed on and gauges worked.

I bought some CRC throttle body cleaner and contact cleaner at NAPA last night...a good cleaning will be carried out over the weekend.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sudden Stall

Mine has done that twice this year. Usually when hit about 70 and within the first 5 - 7 miles of travel after a cold start. While rolling, I just popped trans into nuetral, and restarted, back into drive and would drive all day without another incudent. I will try the Air system cleaing as suggested.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 8,317 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Was the ECM reprogrammed as per the recall S514?????????

You can contact a Dealer and ask if the recall was performed.

Here is the TSB

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Was the ECM reprogrammed as per the recall S514?????????

You can contact a Dealer and ask if the recall was performed.

Here is the TSB

bob gauff
Bob,

For my particular car, I'm the new owner (and its last...I'll own it to my death). But the car has been well serviced by Jag dealers for most of its prior life, and I do believe that recall work was performed. This is the recall work that is indicated by a sticker on the driver's door pillar, is that correct?

In any case, I cleaned my throttle body bore (very dirty), MAFS, intake tube, full-load breather tube, and part-load breather orifice this past weekend. So far, I've only had the one stall, and I'm going to assume the problem is solved until the next cleaning, in 10,000 miles.

Thanks for your help.