XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Where do I find the engine #?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where do I find the engine #?

G'day Gents,

Still working out some issues with my new '00 XK8; new cam cover, lean codes etc.

There's a "rebuilders tag" on my motor. I want to detrmine if it's original/rebuilt or new/used replacement. Can anyone advise where I would find the engine #?

Also, any tips/tricks in tracking down hostory on thihs? The car did not come with any service records. I checked wit a dealer and there are no open field service actions.

VIN SAJJA42C2YNA09074

Thanks!

Tom

Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The easy answer is to have the dealer produce a 'build' report on the car from the VIN but that may not work with a replacement engine. The dealer can also produce any 'warranty' work reports.

The serial number is located on a milled surface at the front of the engine near the water pump but it is almost impossible to read it.

Here is a link to a more detailed description: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...57/#post218139

Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Default engine # (partial) cross reference?

Gents:

My engine has "tag" soldered on which I'm told is a tell tale fir rebuilders to indicate if the (rebuilt) engine has been overheated therfore voiding warranty.

I'm assuming my engine has been replaced/rebuilt. I get the following engine # information:

JPJ *BBBB* (this first line is complete)
2222222 *KJJJH* (the beginning of this # is hidden by the "tag" I mentioned above)

Is there any way to cross reference this engine # to an original vehicle?

I'd like to trace the history if I can. My car has 94K on it.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 05-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

TomTom
I just took mine into the dealer and they gave me all of the service history. It also had the build sheet and recall info. Some dealer won't give you this information. unless the previous owner will give you permission. My local dealer even gave me his name, but it was already written in the owners manuals.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Default found engine #, can i cross reference to donor VIN?

Gents,

I found the enigne # on the Thermostat housing.

It is: 980907 1109 If I understand correctly that means this engine was built in September 98 and has nikasil bores?

Is there any way to cross reference the engine # to the donor vehicle (VIN)? I'd like to trace the history (mileage etc) of the engine if possible. As I mentioned it has a tag soldered on the engine which I'm told is a rebuilders warranty tell tale (which would melt off if the engine was overheated).

I'm a litle dissapointed that the engine is older tha the car (the XK8 is a 2000). But I would like to determine the provenance if possible. The PO was not a car guy but he said he was told the engine was rebuilt/replaced.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Your best bet is through JaguarUSA.com. Here is the email contact page:

Jaguar USA - Jaguar Cars

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Tom Tom
Test point's right check with Jaguar. I don't think your engine number would be on the thermostat housing I think your housing was originally plastic. That may be a cast number. My engine number starts with a PA it's a 2001, built in August of 2000

Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM

I've been in touch with JaguarUSA and a dealer. Neither has been able to help me cross reference the current engine# to the donor vehicle. Is there a database out there somewhere that has this info?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtomterrific
I've been in touch with JaguarUSA and a dealer. Neither has been able to help me cross reference the current engine# to the donor vehicle. Is there a database out there somewhere that has this info?

Thanks!
I don't know of any way to backtrack an engine number to a VIN#. Attached is a document showing where your engine number and engine data numbers are located. It also explains how to interpret that number; and for those who have wondered, what block number the steel sleeve construction began in production.

Maybe we can sweet talk our Mod's into putting this puppy in the appropriate FAQ Sticky's.

Should you find the number on your engine is in fact a 1998 number, we have to remember that if it is a Jaguar Re-manufactured engine, it most likely is a sleeved engine. I say that because I checked your car’s warranty history, and it shows no engine replacement through Aug. 2006 at 63,000 miles. That was the end of the Select Edition Warranty. So if that car got a Jaguar Reman Engine, there is very, very little chance it was Nikasil. At that point, they were 6 years into sleeved construction.

BTW, your original engine# was 0004210357, which tells us it was a Nikasil engine.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Spurlee (05-06-2011), test point (05-05-2011), tomtomterrific (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

I would think that any Rebuilt Engine that was originally a Nikasil Engine would have had it's Cylinders Sleeved.

Of course, it depends what a "Rebuilt Engine" means. I would think that a Jaguar provided unit would certainly have been Sleeved.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks XJRGUY,

I have one record from 3/23/06 from Jaguar of Fredrick MD for routine service at 59,387 miles. The next I have (chronologically) is 3/31/10 for tires at84,657 miles. These were both from the same owner (who must have been the owner before the guy I bought the car from).

I imagine it was somewhere between these 2 dates that the rebuild/replace was done. The guy I bought the car from did not do the swap.

I guess I could try to contact the PPO or Jaguar of Fredrick MD as a next step.

It's like Law and Order, Jaguar Edition

Thanks,

Tom

Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a reman engine in my 99 coupe and I was the person who had the work done under warranty. The reason for the rebuild was the nikasil cylinders. The tag on mine is located on the passenger side on the head by the fire wall. I you move the foil insulator on that pipe thingy you will see the number. I'll look when I get home and post my number. It may give you some insight but may be not. I have looked for my repair ticket but have not been able to find it. I have asked the dealer to look it up but they SAY they cannot. They did the work, I'm the guy, I'm asking for a copy. I think they might be lazy.

The following users liked this post:
tomtomterrific (05-06-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

XJRguy, you are a very valuable member! I see that you have many post on the JaguarForum but I don't remember many on the XK8/R sub-forum. Please stick around.

Thanks for the input as you are probably exactly on target. By the time Jaguar started replacing engines they had, most likely, figured out that they were going to sleeved engines and would not have done a warranty replacement with a Nikasil engine.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Well thank you testpoint! I appreciate that very much. I actually try to cycle through all the forums, but there are so many knowledgeable members, that many a time I find one of them has already provided solid answers. Plus, I kinda get a kick trying to come up with solutions on those threads that have a little age on them and very few replies. I'm an information hound and a pack rat, and thankfully that works to my advantage.

So, I'll be lurking about. Again, thank you for your confidence.

Cheers,

Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM

XJRGUY
I ditto what Testpoint said, getting that service/warranty info/date is very helpful! I tried to contact Jaguar of Frederick MD but they seem to be out of business. I googled the previous-previous owner's name (which is fairly unique) and believe he is a MD regional insurance guy. I reached out to him via his website to see if it's him, and if he knows/will share info on the rebuild/replace. I'm hoping they didn't just swing in a used engine. As I noted the current engine is a Sept 98 build 9809071109. So...there's no database with engine #'s? I do have an email into JaguarUSA to see if they could trace it, but their directing me to local dealers.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by tomtomterrific
XJRGUY
I ditto what Testpoint said, getting that service/warranty info/date is very helpful! I tried to contact Jaguar of Frederick MD but they seem to be out of business. I googled the previous-previous owner's name (which is fairly unique) and believe he is a MD regional insurance guy. I reached out to him via his website to see if it's him, and if he knows/will share info on the rebuild/replace. I'm hoping they didn't just swing in a used engine. As I noted the current engine is a Sept 98 build 9809071109. So...there's no database with engine #'s? I do have an email into JaguarUSA to see if they could trace it, but their directing me to local dealers.
Thanks,
Tom
Thanks, tomtom. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll pass along what I can about your car.

Cheers,

Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI Tom, Jag of Frederick IS out of business. Sorry.

The following users liked this post:
tomtomterrific (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Daddyo
when you say "tag" are you referring to some type of rebuild id tag?
Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 PM

It kept bugging me that I thought I remembered there being some tag of some sort on reman engines. Finally dug up this excerpt from a technical department email.......

Attached Thumbnails Where do I find the engine #?-reman-tag.jpg  
Old 05-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks Guys!
I checked and did not find a remanufactured engine tag. I guess with no Jag service record and no tag we can deduce that this is not a Jaguar remanufactured engine. I hope the PPO gets back to me with some info. (Or we discover a way to track the engine # back to the donor vehicle). Still have some conflicting info. in that
the solenoids are on each side of the front cam covers, indicating a 2000, yet the engine # (from the thermostat housing) is 9809071109, indicating a 1998.
I hope I can track it down. But, in any case, it's running strong now and it's a sunny morning and I'm looking forward to taking it out for a blast!
Tom

Quick Reply: Where do I find the engine #?