XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

XK Seats, switches, motors JTIS R&I Extracts

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts
Default XK Seats, switches, motors JTIS R&I Extracts

Hello
There is a new thread in the General Tech Help section of the forum (2001 XK8 How to Remove Seat Switches? ).

I extracted the following PDF files from JTIS21 CD that cover most of the power front seat components:

XK 1997 Seat Control Switch R&I 86.75.23.pdf

XK 1997 Front Seat R&I 76.70.01.pdf

XK 1997 Front Seat Track Motor R&I 86.75.33.pdf

xk 1997 front seat height motor R&I 86.75.29.pdf

XK 1997 Front Seat Recliner Motor R&I 86.75.04.pdf

XK 1997 Front Seat Backrest Trim Panel R&I 76.70.03.pdf

2001 XK Seats JTIS info.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 05-26-2011 at 09:35 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
cjd777 (05-24-2015), crbass (11-13-2019), Greenbrook (06-02-2011), Jag#4 (03-07-2012), Jim D (02-28-2015), jimforrest (uk) (02-28-2015), Johnken (10-15-2017), KayScotts (10-11-2016), RJ237 (05-24-2015) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Thank you Jim. I started the thread on the general tech forum, I'll move my focus here. Appreciate your help, and the info you've posted here is very helpful. I see that I have to move the "Download JTIS Stuff" higher on my priority list, there must be a ton of gpood information there.

Steve

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Seat Repair Update

An update to my seat repair saga. I assembled my courage last weekend and tackled the seat, finding a way to move it forward and back without the use of a working switchpack.

First removing the Seat Control Module from beneath the seat revealed the connectors leading to the motors, switchpack, and the rest of the car systems. Studying the electrical diagrams enabled me to pick out the connector and contacts leading to the seat motor.

From Autozone I was able to pick up a fuse tap and a packet of miscelleneous "Ford" contacts and make up the simple circuit shown in the attached diagram permitting relatively safe connections to the seat harness connector. As shown in the table, applying the voltage and ground to the 7 and 8 contacts would move seat in the indicated direction. Just to be sure, I removed the fuse tap from the fuse block before moving the contacts in the connector body.

So after getting the seat to move forward and backwards, exposing the mounting screws, I was able to unbolt it and remove it from the car. With the seat laying down on a tarp spread on the garage floor I attempted to find the latch securing the switchpack to the seat bottom. Alas, after much probing all I succeeded in finding were the business ends of two very sharp self-tapping screws beneath the foam rubber. Fearing the worst and running out of time, I didn't attempt to remove the switchpack handles (the moving parts) to reveal the screw heads. I will research the attachment more carefully and tackle that again some other day.

However, with my fuse tap circuit pieces, I was able to manually move the seat forward and back as required, plug the seat control module back in, and then use the memory buttons to set two memory positions: one far forward and raised up for my wife, and the other further back and lowered down for me.

So, although not solved completely, I have reached a satisfactory temporary state where the seat can be moved forwards and back, and up and down, using the memory buttons, providing a much more comfortable driving experience.

As a bonus, while removing and replacing the negative lead on the battery for safety, I found the battery hold down loose, causing the horrible low speed clanging noise that I was blaming on some loose heat shield. A few drops of oil on the threads, and cinching them down tight made it all quiet again.

Attached Thumbnails XK Seats, switches, motors JTIS R&I Extracts-seatconnections.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve8:
Cee Jay (09-15-2014), crbass (11-13-2019), Fn2damax (03-01-2012), jaglenn (09-20-2014)
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve8
An update to my seat repair saga. I assembled my courage last weekend and tackled the seat, finding a way to move it forward and back without the use of a working switchpack.

First removing the Seat Control Module from beneath the seat revealed the connectors leading to the motors, switchpack, and the rest of the car systems. Studying the electrical diagrams enabled me to pick out the connector and contacts leading to the seat motor.

From Autozone I was able to pick up a fuse tap and a packet of miscelleneous "Ford" contacts and make up the simple circuit shown in the attached diagram permitting relatively safe connections to the seat harness connector. As shown in the table, applying the voltage and ground to the 7 and 8 contacts would move seat in the indicated direction. Just to be sure, I removed the fuse tap from the fuse block before moving the contacts in the connector body.

So after getting the seat to move forward and backwards, exposing the mounting screws, I was able to unbolt it and remove it from the car. With the seat laying down on a tarp spread on the garage floor I attempted to find the latch securing the switchpack to the seat bottom. Alas, after much probing all I succeeded in finding were the business ends of two very sharp self-tapping screws beneath the foam rubber. Fearing the worst and running out of time, I didn't attempt to remove the switchpack handles (the moving parts) to reveal the screw heads. I will research the attachment more carefully and tackle that again some other day.

However, with my fuse tap circuit pieces, I was able to manually move the seat forward and back as required, plug the seat control module back in, and then use the memory buttons to set two memory positions: one far forward and raised up for my wife, and the other further back and lowered down for me.

So, although not solved completely, I have reached a satisfactory temporary state where the seat can be moved forwards and back, and up and down, using the memory buttons, providing a much more comfortable driving experience.

As a bonus, while removing and replacing the negative lead on the battery for safety, I found the battery hold down loose, causing the horrible low speed clanging noise that I was blaming on some loose heat shield. A few drops of oil on the threads, and cinching them down tight made it all quiet again.
Thank you for responding. I cannot see the diagram in the PDF file, it is too small. Is ther anyway to make is larger, or send it to me direct?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Fn2damax
To make the image larger, put your mouse pointer on the image and left click (medium size view), then you can double left click to get even larger view.

Jim Lombardi

Old 02-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem -- thanks tons for the solutions!!

Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Hi Fn2damax
To make the image larger, put your mouse pointer on the image and left click (medium size view), then you can double left click to get even larger view.

Jim Lombardi
After you double left click and get the larger view, then you can also use the internet browser to further increase the size of the view (I used the 125% Zoom)

Hint: google chrome browser - upper left corner menu - 3 bars has the zoom as a menu item) -- Internet Explorer also has a similar menu in upper left corner - looks like a gear symbol - 3rd menu item down - Zoom.

Jim Lombardi

Old 05-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on my 2001 XKR passenger seat that was not moving forward nor back. I found the connector that goes to the proper motor (pictures included) that has 2 wires going to it. I put in 2 small wires into the proper connectors and hooked up a 12 V battery. That made the seat go back and forward depending on how the wires were hooked up. Thus, I was able to remove the seat but now I have to figure out why it was not working.

The following users liked this post:
crbass (11-13-2019)
Old 05-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to remove the seat control switch from my 2001 XK8. The 1997 manual says "9. Positioning cushion foam for access, use a screwdriver to release switchpack securing tab."

Can anyone elaborate on the required steps? Pried as much as I dare without breaking something...

Old 06-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sls-101
Trying to remove the seat control switch from my 2001 XK8. The 1997 manual says "9. Positioning cushion foam for access, use a screwdriver to release switchpack securing tab."

Can anyone elaborate on the required steps? Pried as much as I dare without breaking something...
I have the same question. JTIS simply states use a screwdriver. However, should this be done from the front of the seat or rear, which is the correct one? Also, the JTIS states that you need to remove the seat prior to removing the seat switch. Can you simple remove the switch and unplug harness from switch without removing seat, or is harness to wiring to seat switch to short which requries you to take our from seat as procedure is outlined in JTIS. On my passenger seat the switch itself that moves the seat forward/backward appears to be stuck, and I was hopping that I may be able to fix it if I can remove and open up the switch.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've perhaps already worked out the answer about the securing tab. In case someone else has the same question, this is how I worked it out on my 2000 XK8 convertible, passenger's side.

Take out the seat.
Take the subframe off the bottom of the seat, 4 #40 Torx. Front two are very difficult to reach, used a 1/4" t handle, to get past the subframe.
Unhook the seat cover all around the front edge and the sides, and remove the little trampoline like fabric panel under the center of the seat. The seat cover clips to the sides with 6 u shaped plastic channels that are sewn to the leather. The front edge has 4 metal clips.
Pull the cover off the front part of the foam. Pull it as far off as you can, to expose the foam. You can reach in to the back of the switch and unplug the cable, which has one of those little edge tab releases. Now with one hand to push the foam way back into the middle of the seat, it is possible to look into the back of the seat switch assembly. You're looking into the front part , where you see the black tab nestled into a square opening that is in the (also black plastic) base attached to the seat. You can put a medium flat blade screwdriver into that square opening, under the front edge of the tab, and pry backward and outward to pop it free. The other end of the switch assembly is hooked under a lip in the base. It isn't easy because the switch assembly is tightly jammed in to the hole which is lined with the seat leather.

Once you get the switch assembly out, you see it is held together with 5 tiny torx bolts. Tomorrow, I will be able to open the back of the switch, when I have the proper tiny torx tool in hand. Then I can discover what is behind the funky switch action.

So much of the interior of this car is manufactured from very cheap plastic. I know weight reduction was a goal but it is hard to respect the lack of quality.

crbass (11-13-2019)
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the white connector with the pink wires the same one Steve8 is referring to in his photo? If I disconnect this connector and connect the wires per his instructions should I be able to move the seat backwards and forwards to remove the seat?

crbass (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8 Comfort
Is the white connector with the pink wires the same one Steve8 is referring to in his photo? If I disconnect this connector and connect the wires per his instructions should I be able to move the seat backwards and forwards to remove the seat?

[Pic deleted because it is just above this]
Old thread, answer is yes. 12 V across those two wires moves the seat base forward and rearward so that one can remove the seat bolts (if the motor works, but intermediate bits do not). Just did it this evening. Took minutes to finally get the seat out powered by a spare 12 V car battery. Fantastic.