XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

"Valet" and Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Valet" and Convertible Top

I have what most liekly is a silly question or two, but I will ask anyway. I juat purchased a 97' XK8 with 34,500 miles on it. Runs and looks awesome. However, it did not have an owners manual, not remote keyless entry.

First question, what is the 'Valet" button for?

Second, the convertible top goes up and down just fine, but was wondering if the latch (handle) on the top should be used to assist the roof closed while seated in the drivers seat?

Lastly, anyone know where I can get a replacementremote control keyless entry at a reasonable price that will work on the XK8?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ken/Atlanta

Old 06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: "Valet" and Convertible Top

Valet button basically locks the trunk I believe before you exit the car so you can secure valuables in there before valeting the car. It might also do the glovebox as well. I think the handle should just be used as it was probably meant, to latch it. Im afraid assiting it by pulling might put stress on the motor thats not needed. Id say ebay but everyone says you might as well by 2 or 3 because it costs you just as much to have them programmed.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The latch pull hole should not be needed. Because it is hydraulic pulling on it isn't going to hurt anything. A properly functioning top will close just fine although the last couple inches may stress your patience by about 1 second. If your top is really slow it may need a hydraulic fluid flush at the top latch. This is a common problem covered by a TSB. Lots of posts on this subject. The penalty for ignoring that issue is stinky green fluid leaking down through the overhead light console.

As far as the key fob transmitter they are available every day on eBay. If you are saying that you do not have a transmitter at all you are going to have to ask the dealer to provide the FCC and Jaguar codes for your security unit. Should be available with your VIN and proof that you own the car. If you have one you might be able to buy the other that came with the car from the owner that is about to sell it on eBay. Codes on back must match. Paid about $30 for mine, including shipping. Programming is easy. Search the forum for instructions or PM me and I will send them to you. If you didn't get the second key and the valet key you are going to be shocked at what they cost at the dealer. Dealers are really the only place to get one.

Owners Manuals are available on some of the forums and also on eBay. Be aware that some on eBay are generic reproductions.

Spelling

Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Ken, there are no silly questions here. Some great Jag techs are here on this forum and they are willing to help. It looks as if you got your questions answered already but don't hesitate to ask more.

Post some pics, we all love seeing another new (to the forum) Jag !!!!!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

More info needed. Need to get an OB II code readout. Many parts stores will do for free.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Can't be too many posts, I did a search and couldn't find details on the flush.

Originally Posted by test point
If your top is really slow it may need a hydraulic fluid flush at the top latch. This is a common problem covered by a TSB. Lots of posts on this subject. The penalty for ignoring that issue is stinky green fluid leaking down through the overhead light console.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

The TSB on top latch flush applied only to the '97 - 98 MY. The '99 MY changed fluid to the Pentosin CHF11s and I have not seen any information on a flush helping. You list a '04 so I would suggest that a flush is not needed.

Check here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ht=latch+flush

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...1967911-1.html

Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Or if you want you can go to my page and read my instructions that are close to Jag flush instructions without removing the pump! Keep in mind that it is a closed system. If you empty and refill the tank when closed and you open the roof the new fluid will be pumped in and the old out. Empty and refill the tank again. And most all the old will be out. I recommend doing a few times to be sure. Ask and you shall receive!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Location: Capitola, Calif - beach town - sunny side of Monterey Bay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a remote on ebay for my 98 XK8. The programming instructions are as follows: Pull the the head light stalk toward you and hold so the lights are on. Put the ignition key in position 1. Flash the headlights four times. Press the lock or unlock button on the remote 5 times so you hear the beep or horn honk 5 times. That should program the remote to your car. I was skeptical when I received these instructions with the remote I bought but it worked and now I have a working remote with all the functions working.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM

I'd bet the latch pull is incase you have to use the petcock on the pump (motor failure) to close the top. Then, use the allen wrench to secure while pulling down on top.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hoses, latch and lift problems! Motor may be next on the list but not yet.

Originally Posted by Robscountach
I'd bet the latch pull is incase you have to use the petcock on the pump (motor failure) to close the top. Then, use the allen wrench to secure while pulling down on top.