XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

'00 XK8 Transmission Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '00 XK8 Transmission Harness

OK, so my 2000 XK8 has been throwing the "High Gearbox Temperature" amber alert for about a month at various times (never towing, just normal driving, but typically when letting off the accelerator or pressing down on it) . I am replacing the filter and have bought a new wiring harness since a number of threads point to it as a culprit (I had someone check the fluid level the "right way" about 2 weeks ago, and all was OK.) I have a couple of questions for anyone that can help:
  1. 2 of the connectors on the old harness are attached to what looks like maybe temperature probes (black, about the size of your little finger) that are bolted in place vertically into the transmission. Are these the actual temp sensors? If not, what are they? If they are, can they be bought separately (since my new harness didn't come with them)?
  2. The end of the harness that feeds through the transmission wall has 2 o-rings (so there is not a "sealing sleeve"). Because the solenoids are generally in the way (as is the exhaust pipe and several other things that make this a pain), I'm having a dickens of a time getting that plug and o-rings all the way into the hole in the transmission housing. Any thoughts? The o-rings are coated with tranny fluid.
Any insight would be much appreciated as the car is "down" until I get this put back together.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

They are speed sensors one in the back and the other in the front just be sure you tighten the retainer that holds them in place. As for the plug when installing it identify the key slot on the plug and line it up with the hole key then push it in place. When I did mine I had to use a ling screwdriver to help push into place then install the snap ring on the outside. Use caution do not over do it!

The following users liked this post:
apexjag (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM

Thank you Gus! So, the harness that goes through the transmission wall has a single tab, and a double tab (180-degrees apart). I can sort of see a "slot" in the housing that maybe the single one fits into or lines up with? Is that right, so that the double tab is closer to the ground and the single tab lines up with that "slot"?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Sorry I am unable to identify top or bottom on the plug did not take a picture of it. Just need to rotate until it slips into place then gently push it in all the way.

Originally Posted by apexjag
Thank you Gus! So, the harness that goes through the transmission wall has a single tab, and a double tab (180-degrees apart). I can sort of see a "slot" in the housing that maybe the single one fits into or lines up with? Is that right, so that the double tab is closer to the ground and the single tab lines up with that "slot"?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 AM
Default Update

Well, appendages crossed, things seem to be OK so far. Getting the harness plug completely seated in that hole in the trans case was a bear, but slowing twisting it back and forth after about 8-9 minutes finally got it all the way in. Everything now buttoned back up, torqued, refilled, and road tested yesterday...no leaks or funky behavior as of last night. No "high gearbox temperature" amber alert after about 45 miles of various driving conditions. Doing another test run this morning, but hopefully all is well. Thanks again Gus for your insight!