XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

02 xkr shaking at speeds above 55 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 02 xkr shaking at speeds above 55 mph

ok so I just fixed the car last month from winter storage fuel pump failure, now I go to take a trip down to ohio and noticed a shake at 55 mph and gets worse up towards 70 mph, so I get home and do a suspension check in the front nothing loose in tie rods, no busted bushings, no play in ball joints, shock mounts look good with no play or movement, but I have a shake in the passenger wheel or as it feels like in that wheel. so I did all around suspension check and noticed under load that I have a small amount of play in the right rear spindle is that normal because I have some play in the other wheel as well but it doesn't seem as much? this is a nightmare with this car I never had this many problems with my xk8. I ve tried switching wheels to see if I had an unbalanced wheel but I still have the shake in that wheel so I know its not a unbalanced wheel. ive searched the forum up and down and I haven't found a solution to people complaining about this shake so any help will get me going

Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Check your drive shaft and u joints. Look for dings on the shaft, that would be a dead give away.

Good luck

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

* that play is something you need to address quickly, bearings or the u joints on the axle shafts.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Tell us more about this shake. Is it in the steering wheel. the seat of your pants or what?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

If it was in storage and wasn't there before, it seems possible that flat spots on the tires could be the issue. I am not sure how it was stored. I have had flat spots though. I inflated mine about 10# less than the max the tires could hold and it made a big difference, which told me that was the issue. Some play in the rear spindle is normal from what I have read on other posts from some of our experts here.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

99% of wheel shake at 55-70 is tires/wheels. You could have a bad tire or a bad balance job. it is possible to have a bent wheel too, so just get it to a good place and get it checked out. I had a Hunter balance done where they can tell if the tire is bad by measuring its hysteresis in quadrants. I had a bad tire that was new and looked perfect. Rythmic shaking is not suspension or bearings. A big heavy wheel rotating at speed has a very powerful centrifugal force that tries to keep it from shaking. It takes a real unbalance to get it to shake, worn wheel bearings and suspension bushes won't do it.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 AM

when I store the car I take the wheels off and bring them in house and lay them flat so that the tires don't touch the floor, as the shaking goes its all in the steering wheel it starts at 55 and gradually gets worse at 70 no cowl shake just the front right wheel at least that's what it feels like to me. ive went out and checked all the front suspension and I cant feel anything loose at all while its under load, should I be checking this without a load or what because at this point im reaaly frustrated with this thing and about to give up and sell it even tho I love this car its becoming a pain in my butt. ive even tries putting the wheels in different places and putting the stock wheels back on and I still get this shake from some where in the front as I said it feels like the right wheel. is it possible that I could have a warped rotor? ive read that in a thread but I would think if it was a bad rotor it would shake when applying the brake or am I wrong and they are the cross drilled rotors. I don't drive this thing much at all maybe 2 or 3 thousand miles a year during the summer as im worried about another butt wipe hitting my car as they did my xk8

Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
99% of wheel shake at 55-70 is tires/wheels. You could have a bad tire or a bad balance job. it is possible to have a bent wheel too, so just get it to a good place and get it checked out. I had a Hunter balance done where they can tell if the tire is bad by measuring its hysteresis in quadrants. I had a bad tire that was new and looked perfect. Rythmic shaking is not suspension or bearings. A big heavy wheel rotating at speed has a very powerful centrifugal force that tries to keep it from shaking. It takes a real unbalance to get it to shake, worn wheel bearings and suspension bushes won't do it.
does belle tire or firestone have something like that im in Michigan and every place ive taken it too just has the basic wheel balance machine

Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I use a race shop that calls in a mobile hunter roadforce balance guy. He has the unit in a trailer. It costs $75 per wheel, but it solved a long running problem by exposing the bad tire. Just call around for Hunter roadforce balancing. Any decent race shop is going to have access to good wheel balancing.