XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an 03-05 coupe reliable enough for this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Daily Driver - sure. Mine is not used that way but I have taken it on 3 - 2,000 mile round trips and several round trips from Columbus OH to NYC. Have had a few minor issues but nothing that ever kept me from being able to drive the car safely. The XK8 N/A (normally aspirated) gets great highway mileage on trips (27 mpg) even with a few pedal to the metal bursts up to 110 mph for giggles when bored. The alignment is sensitive and needs regular adjustment otherwise you will wear through your expensive tires pretty quickly...yearly for you at 20K miles per year. If you are putting on 20K per year do some research into tires to find the right combination of performance / noise and price and try to find, if possible, a life time alignment and balance deal at a shop that uses a (road force ?) machine that puts weight on the tire when balancing to more accurately simulate actual driving condition forces. The drivers seat is pretty comfortable and I find on long trips I stay comfortable by periodically changing things up with the air bladders in the seat and lumbar area. If you pant inseam is 34" or less, you will want to modify the left foot rest, bringing it closer to you so you can bear down on it with the flat of your foot and not just your toes. The trunk in the coupe is huge so you can carry your work stuff, suit case and golf clubs with room to spare. If you drink (soda, coffee etc...) while driving, don't even start using the drink holder in the center console. It will be just a matter of time before you knock your drink over with your right elbow and if any of the contents get into your electricals / switches, it could get ugly. Figure out a drink carrier or portable "car office" for the passenger seat. If you smoke, you will end up burning the fabric on the left A pillar while making a turn to the left since the clearance between the steering wheel and A-pillar is tight. Even with these annoyances, every time you approach the car you will have a special feeling that is really good as this is a truly a beautiful and elegant sculpture...that also has a utilitarian function of getting you from point A to B reliably, safely and economically and on top of that, if it can get any better, it is visceral entertainment in the twisties or just straight line acceleration. Add a decent exhaust and it will sing you a lovely tune. Combine all these things together and it doesn't get much better than that. You won't be disappointed. Good luck with your search. With the economy still so uncertain, you will find what you want, be patient but be ready to jump when the opportunity presents itself.