XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

'03 XKR Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
RJK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 XKR Oil Cooler

So I've waited to pose these questions until I've had time to do more research but still coming up empty. I had inadvertently pulled to close to a parking curb and punctured the oil cooler in the process....very bad, oil everywhere and a tow truck was involved; not a good day.
Of course the dealership wanted $950 for the part alone and after my wife initiated CPR I regained consciousness and started looking for used or an OEM replacement. This was to no avail.

I finally ended up settling on a Derale 16 row stacked plate cooler which from what I gather is a higher performance cooler. Here's the problem: the connection from the stock inlet and outlet hoses are incompatible with any aftermarket cooler. The stock connection is some sort of a bayonet o ring sealed elongated end secured to the cooler by a 10mm bolt. So temporarily I've used flex hose and hose clamps to the nipple on the stock hose to the cooler which is scary.

The stock pipe/hose has a flexible section near the cooler that I can cut and put a proper hose barb on which I would feel better about but I don't want to cut this just yet; at that point I'm committed. I'm not convinced this is the best solution? Is there a more conventional connection at the engine block that I can use or should I cut the stock hose or keep looking for a stock cooler at a reasonable price (less than $200 would be fine).

Any input would be helpful. Also what are all these coolers for??? I understand the radiator, oil cooler and intercooler for SC but there's a couple more there?

Cheers.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only 1, I've done 3!

Welcome to the world of XKR oil coolers! The rough roads in Northern California mean I've ripped the bottom off 3 so far! You wouldn't believe how gently I ended up driving to try to avoid the problem.

I eventually found a really easy and cheap solution...

The mounting points for the cooler are at the bottom of the radiator (or intercooler? Not sure which it is). The oil coller is hung from those brackets. I merely turned it upside down and mounted it on top of the brackets, flush with the radiator face.

In my past experience (racing Triumph TR6), as long as the oil cooler is mounted flush with the radiator the air flow is pretty much uninterrupted and both still work with high efficiency. I reckoned the same would work here.

I am able to drive my XKR in 100 degree heat, in slow traffic etc, without any noticeable decrease in performance or increase in engine temperature.

I can also drive it without having to worry about road surfaces, storm drains, curbs etc.

The "new" mounting point even allows you to use the original hoses.

I gather the oil cooler was fitted to the XKR's in particular because of the extra engine load and power output. The oil breaks down quicker unless cooled better. The under-hood temperatures are also higher with the two supercharges in place. Let's face it though, nobody let's their cars go the "recommended" interval for oil changes nowadays do they? I'm sure if you change the oil regularly, any adverse effect would be counteracted.

Hope this helps.

Tim