XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

05 headlamp power washer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default 05 headlamp power washer

Ever loose that little mirrored triangle on your headlamp washer?? I did and when trying to see why it came off, it was easy to see that the small part of the washer had broken on the top half. "The triangle mounts to the washer sort of like your iPhone holder does on it's mount for the windshield".

No problem one might say, just remove the power washer and order a new one. Yeah, right.....
This simple removal process requires the removal of the whole headlamp assembly, where in it's self is rather straight forward once you locate the two screws---one on top the other on the bottom--requiring removal of the wheel then the finder liner, then with much searching you find it under the assembly, nearly all the way to the front. These two screws are TQ headed screws and of course two different sizes. Why wont the assembly come out now that they are removed you wonder. You keep looking and find a nut under the right hinge of the hood/bonnet that's holding a C clamp more or less, on the right side of the lamp assembly and once you loosen it you wonder why it can't be removed and then realize it really just needs loosing to slid the assemble out of the finder/wing. Of course now you realize you need to unplug the wiring harness from the back of the assembly, a real dizzy here....what in the hell kind of plug is this? Finding your long thin blade screwdriver you find that the red clamp on the electrical plug, moves and once you understand how, you make the disconnect. At last the assemble is almost all the way out but now it's being held by the water hose that connects to the power washer. Once you figure out how this clamp works, its disconnected and the assembly is in your lap. So you disconnect the washer from the assembly and run to your phone to order a new one and the missing little mirrored triangle. The folks in New Jersey are the only one you can find that has the parts and you get the little triangle in about 4 days but yes, you guessed it, the washer has to be ordered. So two weeks later, you get the parts you need, but your out close to $150 bucks---all just because you didn't want that little triangle hole in you lamp assembly.

I won't bore you with what goes on to get everything back together. If your interested, send me an email and I'll fill you in----that is if my fingers are well by then.

Cheers:
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 06-13-2018 at 03:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-14-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow! That's a sobering tale. I need lots more wine.

Granville

Old 06-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Yep, the powered headlight washers are indeed one option that those of us who have them wish we did not. A whole lot of potential trouble and expense for next-to-no benefit....

And I consider the self-adjusting headlights to be in the same category....

Old 06-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey Chuck--been there, done that. I had a pretty detailed write up with some photos of the real culprit--the lousy plastic (of course) nozzle piece that clips onto the powerwash mechanism. It would only be necessary to replace that plastic nozzle piece versus the whole assembly if it were only possible to somehow source who made that plastic piece.

Also forgot to mention that rather than try this myself, I had a local independent Jaguar shop do the fix. The guy was going crazy trying to get the headlight removed (by alternating from the top and from the bottom). It took the guy probably 1.5 hours to get this done and he had all the right tools and extra hands to help him. A total PITA.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails 05 headlamp power washer-nozzle.jpg  

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 06-14-2018 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 PM

SeismicGuy,
I agree, once I had the unit in my hand, that was the first thing I noticed--that the thing had the (nozzle end) made to be detached from main body, by removing the retainer clip shown in your photo. (designed to be replaced)
Sadly, as with many Jaguar parts, that nozzle is not available and one must buy the whole washer. I wonder how many of those nozzles are provided by the people who made the unit, but either thrown away or not provided by Jaguar. Sad!

Chuck

Old 06-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Yes--here are a couple more photos. I epoxied the small broken piece back onto the nozzle and am keeping it as a spare

Attached Thumbnails 05 headlamp power washer-closeupnozzle.jpg   05 headlamp power washer-separatedpieces.jpg  
Old 06-15-2018, 08:28 PM

SeismicGuy,

That's exactly the same piece that broke on my nozzle. I hope the epoxy work's, but its such a small area, I have some doubts. Hope you never have to find out. :-))

Chuck

Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys,

Quick silly question. In the first photo Seismic guy posted, the White ring between the shaft and the body. Is that just a shipping spacer that should be removed?

I can't find any info on this. When I pulled my washer jet out to attach the triangle cover plate it fell off. There is a groove on the shaft to hold it, but I wasn't sure if its for shipping only or needs to be on.

All the photo of broken washer pumps on line the white collar is missing.

Thanks

Dave B