XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

06 XK8 Tranny and Alignment Queries

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Question for the Techies,

Thing with the dealership are not going well. They are claiming that the valve body of the transmission was damaged by the transmission running out of fluid - Would this be true? ----As soon as the fault light came on, we pulled the car over.

Should the transmission fault have put the car in the limp mode ?

If the valve body is damaged and the transmission is slamming into 1st gear and slipping in top gear, should there be transmission fault codes ?

Would slamming into first gear (when downshifting) and slipping in top gear, both be issues related to the valve body ?

Would both these issues be caused by the transmission losing fluid ?

Thanks for quick responses, I am going to the dealership to argue the situation tomorrow morning.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

The real shame is that had they at least done a test drive after doing their work, it should have been obvious that the did not do their work!

Doug

Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM

So by the time I met with the service manager, the service department decided that the damage was so extensive that the transmission needed to be replaced... $6900. Since I had already paid $1800 for the oil, and tranny pan I put a claim in to my insurance.

The insurance inspector went out today and found additional damage to the front cross member (torn), the transmission bridge, and the rear suspension support. In addition he found that the front right rim was out of round. I spoke with the inspector, and he did mention that all the damage was in a straight line underneath the car.

So this rock has turned into a real doozy. It looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I get my car back.

I am pretty dissappointed that the dealership didn't notify me of the additional damage to the car.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
So by the time I met with the service manager, the service department decided that the damage was so extensive that the transmission needed to be replaced... $6900. Since I had already paid $1800 for the oil, and tranny pan I put a claim in to my insurance.

The insurance inspector went out today and found additional damage to the front cross member (torn), the transmission bridge, and the rear suspension support. In addition he found that the front right rim was out of round. I spoke with the inspector, and he did mention that all the damage was in a straight line underneath the car.

So this rock has turned into a real doozy. It looks like it will be a couple of weeks before I get my car back.

I am pretty dissappointed that the dealership didn't notify me of the additional damage to the car.
some techs only address what you complain about, or are concerned with. I do not, but I work with alot that think this way. Maybe they assume an owner should know the car better and its faults, or that just since they cant afford to maintain a Jaguar properly, since they dont own 1, that maybe you cant either.....You know what they say.."we dont think as others do, but as we do"
I believe its my responsibilty to look your car over and let you know what Ive found, and talk with you on the best plan from there..

Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Brutal's quote:

"I believe its my responsibilty to look your car over and let you know what Ive found, and talk with you on the best plan from there.."

I completely agree, and that's how I've always done my job: which is why I recommended a collision claim for a replacement transmission from the get-go.. And how did they manage to perform all of the "adaptation" miles without noticing a bent RF wheel?

That's an undercar inspection with the welding goggles on, and road test miles wearing ove-gloves.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Well the claim was submitted to the insurance company and they approved all the repairs. I went today and took photos of the car. The damage is not as bad as I expected.

The one thing I found interesting is that their is a cross support that goes from the rear suspension mount to the rear differential at a diagonal. The rock his this piece and bent it up against the underside of the car body.
This is clearly why the rear end alignment could not be done without the shims.

I asked the tech about this and he agreed. So I am kind of dissappointed with the dealership. They should have told me the reason for the rear-end being out of alignment, instead they blamed a previous dealership that had removed the tranny to replace the rear seal.

If folks are interested in the photos I can post them, but they are not very exciting. Supposedly I will have the car back in about another 2 weeks. Its amazing how much damage a rock did.

Dave

Old 03-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

So you're giving a nice fat insurance job like that to the same people who did you such a disservice at every turn up to this point? Let's hope you ca get the insurance adjuster to show up and supervise their work, he obviously knows more about your car then they do.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Default Fat Insurance Job

Yes I am giving the Fat insurance job to the dealership. While not something I like doing, because the car is under the select edition warranty, AAA will only authorize a dealer for the transmission replacement and for a couple of the other parts.

The next closest dealer is about 20 miles away, and I haven't heard anything positive about them. And the dealer after that is about 35 miles away.

I have already paid 2K to the dealership it's at for replacing the oil pan and tranny pan, and with the insurance company getting involved, it becomes a little more complicated to get the car towed to another dealership to start over again.

The dealership, did go ahead and order all the parts last week, so they had almost everything to start the job when the insurance company approved it this morning. Which means hopefully I will have my car back in less than 2 weeks.

It's not the ideal situation, but outside of the beauty of the XK, 'ideal' is not a word commonly associated with the car

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Yes I am giving the Fat insurance job to the dealership. While not something I like doing, because the car is under the select edition warranty, AAA will only authorize a dealer for the transmission replacement and for a couple of the other parts.

The next closest dealer is about 20 miles away, and I haven't heard anything positive about them. And the dealer after that is about 35 miles away.

I have already paid 2K to the dealership it's at for replacing the oil pan and tranny pan, and with the insurance company getting involved, it becomes a little more complicated to get the car towed to another dealership to start over again.

The dealership, did go ahead and order all the parts last week, so they had almost everything to start the job when the insurance company approved it this morning. Which means hopefully I will have my car back in less than 2 weeks.

It's not the ideal situation, but outside of the beauty of the XK, 'ideal' is not a word commonly associated with the car
If it's any consolation, there's only ONE Jaguar dealership in all of Kentucky.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Two things:

First, that must have been one hell of a rock. Either it was thrown into the chassis at tremendous velocity or it was a boulder

Second--the dealer you are going to is, by far, the most convenient for me as well. The saga you are now having with them does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling but is somewhat consistent with what happened to me during the convertible hydraulic hose replacement (they broke a connection to the NAV and failed to notice that the display was black upon returning the car).

Doug

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Doug,

They are very convenient...

Weather was great this weekend, and today, I wish I had the convertible.

Dave