XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

08 XKR on Autotrader

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,804 Likes on 2,238 Posts
Default 08 XKR on Autotrader

There is an ad for a 08 XKR coupe with 27K mi. for $28 K, and the description claims it has paddle shifters. I didn't think that was an option. Could this ad be some kind of scam? The price certainly doesn't sound right.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

RJ237
All I can say is, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. That being said, I'm not that familiar with the newer xk's, but I think the '08 did come with paddle shifters. I am assuming this is for sale by an individual, right? Does it have a salvage title, or obvious body damage? If not, it may be a scam. I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying be very, very careful. Never, ever send money in advance. Never send money to an "ebay" transaction company, or any other "financial company". Demand to meet ther seller face to face. Tell him you want to examine the car and the title. If it's legitimate, that should not be a problem.
Good luck, but be careful.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Sounds like a scam to me. I've responded to ads like that before. Once you reply, they'll come up with some story such as "I'm stationed in Iraq but the car is in Florida. I'll have it shipped to you." Offers to ship cars are ALWAYS scams. They'll also tell you that they will use eBay buyer protection to protect you, etc, etc.

But, you don't have anything to lose. Create a fake hotmail account (to keep your real email off of the spam list) and respond to their ad. If they come up with some elaborate story as to why you can't see the car before buying it, then run away.

By the way, a friend of mine lost $9000 because he bought a boat that way. The seller was supposed to ship it to him, but he never did. The seller told my friend that it was in storage with UPS and he even gave my friend a phone number where he could call UPS to verify that they had the boat. He called the number, someone who claimed to be with UPS answered, put him on hold, then came back a few minutes later to confirm that they had the boat. He said it was a very convincing scam.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with Sam. I have run into these scams on ebay and autotrader. Upon realizing it was a scam, I turned them in to ebay and autotrader. There are places on both sites that you can report scams. The add will be down shortly after reporting. This could be legitimate, but pay attention to what Sam and I have told you. Be careful.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

I just found the car you were talking about. There are seventy 2008 XKRs for sale on autotrader right now. The next cheapest one is TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE EXPENSIVE! It's a scam. I just emailed the seller just to mess with him. I'll post his response here.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Me too

I sent an email on it also... We shall see. This could be fun.

Tom

Old 02-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I just found the car you were talking about. There are seventy 2008 XKRs for sale on autotrader right now. The next cheapest one is TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE EXPENSIVE! It's a scam. I just emailed the seller just to mess with him. I'll post his response here.
LOL! that'd be funny if Rev posts up some picks of his new 08 XKR in a week.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

It will be one of these: "I am in Italy, serving at the USAF base, car is here with me, but my uncle was just diagnosed with terminal illness, need to sell this car fast and ship it back to US, so please wire me $3000 for shipping expenses and deduct it from the total later..."

Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

a bit off topic, but some of these can make for entertaining reading: http://www.419eater.com/index.php

Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by OhioXK
a bit off topic, but some of these can make for entertaining reading: http://www.419eater.com/index.php
Looks like a valuable resource and I will have fun, Thanks.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, well as soon as the guy in Nigeria who has 32 million bucks for me and just wants me to verify my SSN and credit card numbers and give him my mother's maiden name and the name of my first pet and high school mascot - - - boy, as soon as that comes through, I'll be getting a brand new XKR and taking driving lessons and, boy oh boy, gonna have a good time then!!!

You'll see.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Very convincing!

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Sounds like a scam to me. I've responded to ads like that before. Once you reply, they'll come up with some story such as "I'm stationed in Iraq but the car is in Florida. I'll have it shipped to you." Offers to ship cars are ALWAYS scams. They'll also tell you that they will use eBay buyer protection to protect you, etc, etc.

But, you don't have anything to lose. Create a fake hotmail account (to keep your real email off of the spam list) and respond to their ad. If they come up with some elaborate story as to why you can't see the car before buying it, then run away.

By the way, a friend of mine lost $9000 because he bought a boat that way. The seller was supposed to ship it to him, but he never did. The seller told my friend that it was in storage with UPS and he even gave my friend a phone number where he could call UPS to verify that they had the boat. He called the number, someone who claimed to be with UPS answered, put him on hold, then came back a few minutes later to confirm that they had the boat. He said it was a very convincing scam.
Yes they are - I was looking to buy a Craig's-list Harley earlier in the year and ran into one. Not too cheap, but just off the mark enough to make it interesting. The seller claimed to be a woman in the Peace Corps that had seen the light and was unloading all her stuff. She was very insistant on selling it through eBay's buyer plan for my protection, and even gave me the link to read all about it. Of course the bike was a throusand miles away from he city she listed it in... The tip off to the scam is always a non-standard about payment - PO box mostly. When I pressed her on it she evaporated faster than my Jag goes into RP mode.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

The blue one has mysteriously disappeared from Autotrader, but this one popped up. It's only $31K: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

It's located in Seattle. Oddly enough, however, that EXACT SAME VEHICLE is also for sale right now in Atlanta for only $22K!

http://ajcexchange.com/2-Cars-Other-.../817033/detail

And when I say "exact same vehicle", I don't mean an identical one. I mean THE SAME ONE. The seller even has the same phone number. I was going to pay $31K and pick it up in Seattle, but Atlanta is closer and I can save $9000.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

The odd thing is that the autotrader link shows the car to be in San Francisco!

Doug

Old 02-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I think I see it outside my shop window!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Question 2002XKR for sale

There is a 2002XKR Black Coupe, with 126k miles on Auto Trader for $11,995. That's less than I paid for my 2000, although I had half the miles. The mileage is scary, but it looks really good though. As coupes are hard to find at reasonable prices I though someone might be interested. Sorry but I don't know how to post the exact email.

Used 2002 Jaguar XKR

$11,995

http://www.autotraderstatic.com
Stock Photo
This image is a stock photo and is not an exact representation of any vehicle offered for sale. Advertised vehicles of this model may have styling, trim levels, colors and optional equipment that differ from the stock photo.

Primary Information about this vehicle:

AT Car ID: AT-11957CB9

Price $11,995 Mileage 126,000 Body Style Coupe Exterior Color Black Interior Color Black Engine 8 Cylinder Transmission Automatic Drive Type 2 wheel drive Fuel Type Gasoline Doors Two Door

Vehicle Description

INSTALLED OPTIONS

• Driver Air Bag
  • Anti-Lock Brakes
  • Air Conditioning
  • Navigation System
  • Cruise Control
  • CD Player

• Passenger Air Bag
  • Rear Window Defroster
  • Heated Seats
  • Leather Seats
  • Power Door Locks
  • Power Mirrors

• Power Windows
  • Power Steering
  • Power Seats
  • Side Airbags
  • Tinted Glass
  • Tilt/Telescope Steering Wheel

Seller's Description and Comments

Jaguar XKR 2002 V8 SUPERCHARGED Black interior - $11,995 Perfect condition, Beautiful car. Call to schedule a test drive 972-742-3939

Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2006 XKR Black

I saw one parked at the school in Phoenix (Ahwatukee) for $24k. If interested, let me know and I will get the phone number next Sat when he puts it out there.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Default Got a response

Got a response from the first Autotrader ad I sent an inquiry to.

>>>
It's still available.
We are looking for a cash buyer..

Best Wishes!
Mary Godinez
<<<
I have responded that I am still looking for a good car and have cash in hand...
Fun Fun

Tom

Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Exclamation

By cash does he mean no financing or does he mean a suitcase full of Andrew Jackson's?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
By cash does he mean no financing or does he mean a suitcase full of Andrew Jackson's?
I checked my email earlier today and got the same response. By "cash buyer" he means that he doesn't want someone who has to finance it. In the process of getting it financed the scam would be revealed. He needs someone who can write a cashier's check from their bank account.

Quick Reply: 08 XKR on Autotrader